Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times

Advertisements

A. Get a physical, make sure youre good to go for strenuous activity.

B. As always, walk before you run. Start with 10-15 minute walks, work up to 45 minutes, once you feel good doing that, only then would I start light jogging.

If you're obese, just getting your diet under control will result in weight loss, light exercise/walking will compound that, you can lose a considerable amount of weight just with that combination. As always, weight loss starts in the kitchen and in your dining room. If your diet isnt right, it doesnt matter how much you exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 AM

206 posts, read 238,678 times
I think it all depends on conditioning. There is higher injury risk if you just begin to run without any strenuous exercise experience...Easier start at interval training with walking/jogging, increase speed from there will probably be safer.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I am obese and was thinking about running this summer. However, I don't think it is possible since my body isn't adapted to any kind of running at all. When I see pictures of runners they are all extremely thin. I never see anyone running that is obese.
Do you really need to run? I've never liked running. Even when I was in the military, in the best shape of my life, running was painful for me. I think there are better exercises out there than running. As has been mentioned, running puts a LOT of stress on your body...why do that to yourself? Swimming is the best cardiovascular exercise out there, and you work all of your muscles. You get nice, lean muscles, too.

I think it would be better to go to the Y, or wherever, get in to the pool and start walking back and forth down the lanes in that water. That will get you in to shape pretty fast, and you aren't pounding the snot out of your body. You can then work up to swimming and doing laps.

Don't beat your body up trying to get your body healthier.

Don't forget weight training, too. It can be very beneficial. You don't need to lift like some gigantic body builder, just do lower weights with more repetitions. Do that a couple of times a week, and do your cardio three times a week. Take two days off to allow your muscles to relax.

Change your diet.

Throw out the coffee if you drink it.

Throw out pop, caffeine, alcohol, all that bad stuff.

But if you are obese, you need to start off small, and the problem with that, is that it takes a long time to see results. That's why people give up - they don't see these huge results right away. Eventually you will see results, and you'll feel great, and you'll be all gung ho, and then...you hit a plateau. People get discouraged and give up then, too. Just keep going. You will push past that plateau at some point, and you'll start seeing results again.

Take your measurements when you start.

Take them again a month later.

Take them every month.

It's not your weight that matters, it's your size that matters, so concentrate on measurements more than the scale.

Join a group online, or with some friends, or wherever to help you keep motivated to keep going. It can be hard to keep going, and it's very easy to give up. If you have people you can reach out to when you're not feeling it, it will be easier to get back on track than if you have no one to talk to.

And yes, the very first thing you do before you do a single thing is go to the doctor. Tell them what you want to do, have them give you a full check up, let them offer you advice so that you don't hurt yourself.

I'm only here to offer a different suggestion because it doesn't always have to be running. There's a ton of other ways to get in to shape that are much easier on you but still give you the results you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness