Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:39 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times

Advertisements

More like 225 pounds on an average woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
166 lbs if definitely obese at that height. 195 lbs is definitely overweight at that height. Americans in general need to lose about 20-30 lbs.
That would be obese not overweight.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
That would be obese not overweight.
No. 5'4, 166 pounds = BMI of 28.5. BMI of 25 - 29.9 = overweight. BMI 29.9 and up = obese

Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
No. 5'4, 166 pounds = BMI of 28.5. BMI of 25 - 29.9 = overweight. BMI 29.9 and up = obese
Sorry borderline obese.

I am not attacking because I have had my weight issues in the past but this PC BS has to stop and so does the fat acceptance in this country.

I bust my ass every day at the gym and am proud of it. Anyone can do similar if they have the motivation and discipline but most are full of BS excuses like this country and our government and many of the poster on CD.

Full of excuses why they can't get it done.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Imagine if Victoria's Secret models didn't exist? The average would go up to 185lbs!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:44 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I don't exercise much at all, but I don't consume modern wheat which is an extreme appetite stimulant. I am on a strict paleo diet now as I have celiac disease, but I haven't worried about weight in years as I tend to have a higher protein and low carbohydrate diet. My present BMI is 20.2 at 5'11 and 150 pounds. Look at movies, TV, and society prior to the mid 1980s and you will see next to no overweight or obese people. Modern wheat was largely introduced in all packaged processed foods and grocery stores right at that time period. It has been downhill for the US ever since then in terms of the obesity epidemic.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 PM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't exercise much at all, but I don't consume modern wheat which is an extreme appetite stimulant. I am on a strict paleo diet now as I have celiac disease, but I haven't worried about weight in years as I tend to have a higher protein and low carbohydrate diet. My present BMI is 20.2 at 5'11 and 150 pounds. Look at movies, TV, and society prior to the mid 1980s and you will see next to no overweight or obese people. Modern wheat was largely introduced in all packaged processed foods and grocery stores right at that time period. It has been downhill for the US ever since then in terms of the obesity epidemic.
Does that include organic wheat?

I am 5'4" 120lbs and I'm definitely not underweight. I'm lucky that I have a fast metabolism, but I also tend to eat a higher protein, lower carb diet. I'm not a saint. It started as a way to control my low blood sugar. Also, I'm just not a big fan of bread and pasta. I think you're onto something with this "modern wheat" idea.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't know that wheat is to blame, but it seems to have become a much bigger part of our diets with so many snacks and meals. That combined with all the sugar in everything, isn't doing us any favors. For the most part (not counting the occasional cheat) I'm grain free (including rice, wheat and oats) and dairy free. Cutting out those foods has made it much simpler to stay within my calories and slim down from 170 (nearly the "average" weight) to 123 @5'5".

Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
This is a disgrace. I'm a 5'10" male. A few years ago I put on a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Before I knew it, I was 200 lbs. I looked FAT. I felt FAT. It was uncomfortable to carry around that much weight. However, most people around me thought I looked just fine .. and if you're going by the average, I certainly fit right in. It took me a year and some change to lose the weight.

One of the things working against me was every time I dropped a few pounds (down into the 190 range still way, way too fat for my height) people would tell me how great I looked and that I was wasting away. When I finally got serious about being healthy again, I had to tune out what everyone said. I focused on eating the right foods in the right amounts and exercising. My weight dropped to 155, which is what it should be. People around me nearly had a heart attack. Are you ok? Are you sick? It's sad. A healthy weight looks abnormal now. Sad, just sad.

Most Americans look unhealthy and gross to me. Women who are 5'4" and 166 lbs look like walking corpses. America needs to get its act together and refuse to keep being victimized by Big Food. Fast food? NO. Snacks? NO. Sugary coffee drinks? NO. Soda? NO. Processed food? NO.

Let's get back on track and start eating healthy home-cooked meals in sensible portions again.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Disgraceful

Most of the women in this area look more like bears walking around on two feet rather than actual female human beings...
Actually, Northern VA as a whole has a pretty high percentage of fit women (and men) compared to the rest of the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness