Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times

Advertisements

I have always been warned about the cholesterol in eggs. I have a fairly rigorous work out schedule every day (2 hours of cardio and other). Should I be concerned about having eggs for breakfast every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:02 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
I consume two eggs about 3 or 4 times per week. My triglycerides are extremely low. My HDL is high. My overall cholesterol is healthy normal. I have full blood work 2x per year since 2012. Always awesome health. I am 50years of age.

My wife does not eat eggs or anything fatty and is quite thin and has high natural cholesterol and triglycerides. She is mid-30s in age.

So it depends on you. If you are in a risk group.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-30-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 08:03 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Yes Eggs are healthy. 2 is better than 1

Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
The recommendation to for everyone to strictly limit eggs is outdated information; it really only applies to specific groups of people. Unless you are one of them, an egg or two per day is fine:

[url]http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/[/url]

[url=http://www.mayoclinic.org/cholesterol/expert-answers/faq-20058468]Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol? - Mayo Clinic[/url]

[url=http://www.webmd.com/diet/good-eggs-for-nutrition-theyre-hard-to-beat]Good Eggs: For Nutrition, They're Hard to Beat[/url]

Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The recommendation to for everyone to strictly limit eggs is outdated information; it really only applies to specific groups of people. Unless you are one of them, an egg or two per day is fine:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol? - Mayo Clinic

Good Eggs: For Nutrition, They're Hard to Beat
This. Dietary cholesterol from sources like eggs and chicken have been shown to have a minimal affect on blood cholesterol levels. The biggest contributors are excess saturated fats (a small amount is healthy and preferable to none), trans fats, high body fat %/sedentary lifestyle, genetics, and blood pressure.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I consume two eggs about 3 or 4 times per week. My triglycerides are extremely low. My HDL is high. My overall cholesterol is healthy normal. I have full blood work 2x per year since 2012. Always awesome health. I am 50years of age.

My wife does not eat eggs or anything fatty and is quite thin and has high natural cholesterol and triglycerides. She is mid-30s in age.

So it depends on you. If you are in a risk group.
*High Five* Congrats! Nice!

To the OPs question - give eggs a break. Remember those commercials? Studies have shown that eggs are NOT as high in cholesterol as people used to think. Eggs are absolutely healthy. I'll have 2 boiled eggs along with steamed asparagus or raw spinach or steamed kale 3-4 times per week. Everything is normal on this end.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I eat 4-6 eggs a day, and have been doing so for years, and my triglycerides/cholesterol has never been any lower (perfect and im as healthy as a horse/ doc said last month)

Its only a problem if you have a cholesterol problem (if that makes sense)

Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
Why not just leave the yellow out and eat only the white?

I eat as many as I want of these, and they are filling.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:10 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have always been warned about the cholesterol in eggs. I have a fairly rigorous work out schedule every day (2 hours of cardio and other). Should I be concerned about having eggs for breakfast every day?
There is no relationship between cholesterol in food and cholesterol in your body. You can eat as many eggs as you like with no negative effect on your cholesterol levels.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They've found that eggs aren't as bad for your cholesterol as had been previously thought. Factors affecting cholesterol are many and varied. If you're working out, that itself, is a help in maintaining healthy cholesterol. All kinds of things can affect cholesterol, including low thyroid. I wouldn't worry about 1 daily egg, though I agree with one of the other posters--it makes more sense to have 2 or 3 (two whole eggs, + an extra egg white or two, for the protein) 2 or 3 times/wk. But that's just me. And that other poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness