Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 01:42 PM

68 posts, read 77,503 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of 'redeveloping' my body. As I sift through loads and loads of articles/posts/forums I'm left thinking "wow, this is a lot of information." So I thought why not get the personal experience that some of you guys/gals have had. I am a former athlete so I'm familiar with all different weight-lifting techniques. I'm looking for a beginner-intermediate program that will give me 4-5 workouts a week. I would also like the program to include some type of cardio (even if it is HIIT or no rest between sets). I do not want a daily full-body work out program. I prefer a lower body vs. upper body routine that includes Compound AND ISO exercises. Also, from my understanding I should lose my fat before gaining muscle. I am not opposed to this idea. Ultimately, my main goal is to become more healthy than I am. But, I would also like to have a more sculpted body. So, if that means lose 40 pounds so be it but please understand I do not want to become 'skinny' (have nothing against it just not for me).

A few details regarding my body composition:

Sex: Male
Current weight: 225
Height: 5'11
Do you have access to free weights or machines? YES
Gym membership or are you doing this at home? GYM
Are you just looking to get stronger or are you looking to build muscle? Looking to lose weight and get stronger I guess.
Is this for sport specific, or for just general athleticism? General

I work a sedentary job but walk about 4-5 total miles a day. Lastly, I absolutely understand that the majority of my fat loss has to do with my diet (this is the part I really lack at). But, I have put together a plan and I plan to stick to it.

Thank you all for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 02:15 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,839,794 times
I'd recommend Stronglifts 5x5 (it's not exactly what you're looking for in that it's a 3x/week full body workout), but if you pair that with slow runs (get a heart rate monitor and stay under 180-age) 2x/week and 1x/week of 400/800 intervals and/or sprint repeats, I think you'll end up where you want to be.

Be sure to factor in rest/recovery in whatever you decide. You're gung ho now, but you need to be able to do it for 6+ months. As for diet, you can body recomposition (i.e. lose fat and build muscle at the same time), but it's harder. I think you'll want to be in a small calorie deficit and maybe take some BCAA's/up the protein to maintain muscle as you lose fat. Alternatively, you can focus on diet/slow aerobic runs only for 20-25 pounds (3 months) and then add in weight training.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:34 PM

36 posts, read 32,709 times
Mike Matthews has a book and a program made just for you. The Book is Bigger, Leaner, Stronger. And the program is The One Year Challenge for Men.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:00 PM

465 posts, read 419,629 times
Don't eat!

Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,747,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall.John123 View Post
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of 'redeveloping' my body. As I sift through loads and loads of articles/posts/forums I'm left thinking "wow, this is a lot of information." So I thought why not get the personal experience that some of you guys/gals have had. I am a former athlete so I'm familiar with all different weight-lifting techniques. I'm looking for a beginner-intermediate program that will give me 4-5 workouts a week. I would also like the program to include some type of cardio (even if it is HIIT or no rest between sets). I do not want a daily full-body work out program. I prefer a lower body vs. upper body routine that includes Compound AND ISO exercises. Also, from my understanding I should lose my fat before gaining muscle. I am not opposed to this idea. Ultimately, my main goal is to become more healthy than I am. But, I would also like to have a more sculpted body. So, if that means lose 40 pounds so be it but please understand I do not want to become 'skinny' (have nothing against it just not for me).

Are you just looking to get stronger or are you looking to build muscle? Looking to lose weight and get stronger I guess.

I work a sedentary job but walk about 4-5 total miles a day. Lastly, I absolutely understand that the majority of my fat loss has to do with my diet (this is the part I really lack at). But, I have put together a plan and I plan to stick to it.

I'd recommend not listening to the 50-60 suggestions you'll receive!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,033,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I'd recommend not listening to the 50-60 suggestions you'll receive!
Yeah, it can definitely be hard to discern what's worth listening to and what's not. Check and re-check what you read here, OP. Someone already mentioned the Stronglifts 5x5 and I'll second that. Check out his web site and see if it's for you:

StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger

Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM

14,570 posts, read 23,109,287 times
Quote:
Hello,

If you want to lose weight, you want to do something like this:

That's the beginner's workout in Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. The higher reps and short rest periods will deplete glycogen levels and promote fat oxidation. Follow that workout plan and whatever fat loss diet you choose until you are sufficiently slender, and then switch to something more strength/mass orientated (the previously mentioned Stronglifts and Starting Strength are good options).

That's what you should do, ideally.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:18 PM

68 posts, read 77,503 times
Haha, Thanks all for the responses.

I saw stronglifts but ideally I wanted more than just 5 exercises to do. I realize not to take a lot of information on here and run with it. But, even with the suggestions I just do more research. Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,839,794 times
Less is more.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM

320 posts, read 354,485 times
Quote:
Haha, Thanks all for the responses.

I saw stronglifts but ideally I wanted more than just 5 exercises to do. I realize not to take a lot of information on here and run with it. But, even with the suggestions I just do more research. Thanks again!
Either way, whatever you choose to do you need to stick with for a few weeks until your body starts getting used to the increased need to build. Then you can change things up, look for new workouts, and deal with muscle confusion. IMO, you have the perfect height and weight to be a beast in the making; don't need to lose 40 pounds to be cut and lean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness