Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So why isn't that the focus? Everyone, regardless of size, should be doing these healthy behaviors.
Because they're not paying for it.

When you start making unhealthy people pay for their behaviors, you'll see a change in mind-set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 08:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Proper and sufficient sleep, exercise, and a whole food diet heavily emphasizing plants (this does not mean no meat), elimination or drastic reduction of anything but water to drink...this has changed the lives of countless people I know. Countless.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:21 PM

483 posts, read 624,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Proper and sufficient sleep, exercise, and a whole food diet heavily emphasizing plants (this does not mean no meat), elimination or drastic reduction of anything but water to drink...this has changed the lives of countless people I know. Countless.
Amen!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
As an overweight person, I feel like I hear (implicitly or explicitly) a couple of things often enough that seem "weird" for lack of a better word at the moment (haven't had enough coffee :P).

1. All overweight people should be constantly on a diet in order to be "OK"
2. OMG you are eating salad, you must be trying to lose weight
3. OMG you are exercising/walking/riding your bike/doing something active. Good for you, this will help you lose weight.
4. You signed up for a 5k, great you are trying to lose weight.
5. You have been exercising/eating healthy/whatever why haven't you lost any weight, you must not be doing it.

In a nutshell, the only reason to do it is to lose weight. And if you aren't losing their must be something wrong with you! There is no way I could be doing these for fun, because I like them or whatever.

For some (many) people weight loss isn't the right motivation. We (as a society) setup this expectation that losing weight is going to solve all of your problems. Life is infinitely better if you are at a socially acceptable weight.

Not only is it had to lose weight, it is hard to keep it off, and it may not stay off with your best efforts. When people find that weight loss isn't a magic bullet that solves all of their life problems, there is no need to bother with those changes. And they gain back the weight and don't keep up with the habits that will make them feel better at any size! Decoupling weight from health can help everyone have a healthier mindset.
I wonder if you weren't having issues losing weight, if you would feel the same way. That came out totally mean - I'm sorry, it was not my intent.

I must say that my life IS better now that I have lost the weight and kept it off. Losing weight didn't solve all of my problems, but I did solve many.

This thread smacks of disillusionment / discouragement, something. I get it. I've been there.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I wonder if you weren't having issues losing weight, if you would feel the same way. That came out totally mean - I'm sorry, it was not my intent.

I must say that my life IS better now that I have lost the weight and kept it off. Losing weight didn't solve all of my problems, but I did solve many.

This thread smacks of disillusionment / discouragement, something. I get it. I've been there.
It is sort of different. I think people try to push their own opinions about weight onto other people. For some people they feel like life won't start until they lose weight. It is a limiting factor on how they see themselves.

If I were smaller I'd fit into different clothing. I wouldn't magically be more confident.

I have had a lifetime of insomnia (think childhood). If i don't get enough activity I don't sleep well. I don't sit on the couch all weekend because I get bored. I like to eat veggies and fruits because I think in season produce is tasty. I don't drink much soda because I realized I didn't like it. All of these things make me feel better and that is the most important thing.

We (as a society) spend a lot of time telling people how they should feel about themselves based on our own feelings about how our appearance. This is why i think focusing on appearance is pointless to use as motivation for others and society as a whole.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
Do you ever look at what other people are buying in line at the grocery store and think to yourself, " holy $#it!" If I ate that crap I'd look like them too!
No.

Instead, I am wondering what people think when they see me shop, buying the lettuce, fruits, avocados, potatoes, legumes, spaghetti, brisket, canned fish..........."there goes a cook!"........

.......oodles and oodles of candy bars.............."there goes a cook with a sugar craving!".

The candy bars are actually for my divers; I stock up when they are cheap.

Of course, one of the things they probably don't think of me is "How odd!" because they don't see a common item that I don't buy: ice cream. To me, that is a luxury that would be too quickly consumed so I don't get it unless it is absolutely necessary, such as when I had dental surgery last year. Equally what they don't see are chips and crackers and for that matter, cereal beyond rolled oats.

So when we are looking at carts, perhaps we ought to consider what we aren't seeing or perhaps see what's in the cart with a view that maybe it is not all for the buyer.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:51 AM

483 posts, read 624,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No.

Instead, I am wondering what people think when they see me shop, buying the lettuce, fruits, avocados, potatoes, legumes, spaghetti, brisket, canned fish..........."there goes a cook!"........

.......oodles and oodles of candy bars.............."there goes a cook with a sugar craving!".

The candy bars are actually for my divers; I stock up when they are cheap.

Of course, one of the things they probably don't think of me is "How odd!" because they don't see a common item that I don't buy: ice cream. To me, that is a luxury that would be too quickly consumed so I don't get it unless it is absolutely necessary, such as when I had dental surgery last year. Equally what they don't see are chips and crackers and for that matter, cereal beyond rolled oats.

So when we are looking at carts, perhaps we ought to consider what we aren't seeing or perhaps see what's in the cart with a view that maybe it is not all for the buyer.
Yes I realize that often times all of that crap is for their kids....ugh!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:47 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yep, this. Lol.

Many of us are shallow and want instant gratification. I know I do.
Being "healthy" is for the most part such a vague, intangible concept. You're not likely to feel a night and day difference the minute you start doing something differently.
So not true! Eat good..low carbs..no sugar even ONE day. Then top if it off with a morning workout (even a nice walk) and you don't feel different? When I am in bad eating mode I feel horrible. We do it because we want instant gratification. Its called being selfish and lazy. I am the worst culprit but its a fact.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
So not true! Eat good..low carbs..no sugar even ONE day. Then top if it off with a morning workout (even a nice walk) and you don't feel different? When I am in bad eating mode I feel horrible. We do it because we want instant gratification. Its called being selfish and lazy. I am the worst culprit but its a fact.
Yes, that would make people who are used to eating sugar/carbs feel awful. Stopping cold turkey is not a good look.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes, that would make people who are used to eating sugar/carbs feel awful. Stopping cold turkey is not a good look.
OK, no sugar is a bit extreme.. I am saying cutting the carbs down and sugar combined with a morning walk or run will have pretty immediate effects. The poster stated since you can't notice a difference why do it. I was refuting that claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness