Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you wrap your thumb and middle finger around your wrist, they...
Overlap (I'm skinny) 41 44.57%
Touch (I'm a medium or average frame) 40 43.48%
Don't touch or reach (I'm kinda fat) 11 11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,375,666 times

Advertisements

The most accurate test is flipping that light switch in your bathroom with your middle finger and looking at yourself in the mirror, Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,477,217 times
The wrist measurement is only one of many measurements to calculate frame type as some of the others posted with the calculator and health based sites. Navy one seemed most comprehensive.

People can have mixed frames. I've seen big frame taller men with short alligator arms, women with small petite frame from waist on up and big frame from waist on down (frame only). It varies. Watch the various Olympic athletic events for best illustration. Say a female speed skater versus a figure skater versus a gymnast.

I recall when doing these measurements in my late 20s after physically mature, that some were small some were medium and one was large (knee joint). The wrist measure has so much room for error due to finger length in proportion to wrist. FWIW, I measured left wrist as 7 inch and right as 7.25 inch.

An interesting study would be the frames of boxers since they take so many measurements. I remember as teen, when Rocky movies made me interested in boxing, taking all the same measures listed on boxers when they would do the 'tape to tape' comparison before a match.

When the clothing industry mass produced standardized clothing sizes, it becomes apparent that frames are different and ratios of things like waist to trunk, torso breadth of span (shoulders, hips) vary quite a lot. Some people have large chest but are not broad because they have a thoracic cavity like a pidgeon chest deeper front to back versus someone who may have the same measure but have thoracic cavity be broader and narrow in depth.

On lighter note, the title to this thread makes me think a variation of it would make a bumper sticker (even though I don't buy them).
"How far does your mobile device fit up your ___?"
Concentrate on your driving or you may find out

Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,157,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Me too. My fingers overlap when I wrap them around my wrist but my wrist is 7 1/4 inches. And here I thought I had small wrists, lol. I have big feet, hands with long fingers with big palms and my wrists always looked thin to me. I am large framed. At my lowest weight I was 135 at 5'6" with measurements of 35-24-35 and I looked anorexic. I can lose in my waist but my hips will never be small.

Even so I could stand to lose about 15 pounds.
You must have graceful piano hands then.

I'm 5'11, 125 lbs, and my fingers overlap a lot.

Because I have a touch of OCD, I went and measured and my wrists are 6 inches exactly.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:30 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,515 times
Fingers touch!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
My fingers overlap because I have small wrists. I'm one of those people who has lower limbs that stay constant at all weights. My calves stay the same size. Gaining or losing weight doesn't cause my fingers to change sizes. My feet don't get wider. I must be an anomaly.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 8 hours ago)

16,086 posts, read 21,206,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Mine just touch each other...no overlapping. I'm 5'2" and 112ish pounds. I always thought my frame was small lol.
This was me twenty yrs ago. Now I'm older, have had a couple of kids and gained a lot of weight, and guess what? My fingers still just barely touch. My weight (or former lack of) has nothing to do with it. I still have trim and tidy ankles too, too bad the rest of me has gone to h---

Old 06-29-2016, 04:34 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,462,058 times
I prefer to use my middle finger for another purpose, usually when I come across an A-hole while driving.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:45 PM

425 posts, read 425,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I prefer to use my middle finger for another purpose, usually when I come across an A-hole while driving.
Be careful when you use it..some people get so angry so you could be in danger....nowadays

Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My fingers overlap because I have small wrists. I'm one of those people who has lower limbs that stay constant at all weights. My calves stay the same size. Gaining or losing weight doesn't cause my fingers to change sizes. My feet don't get wider. I must be an anomaly.

I'm the same way - whether I am 120 lbs or 150 lbs my wrists, lower arms & lower legs never change.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:13 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,545,866 times
You're better off using a tape measure.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...ages/17182.htm

A few years ago I was really surprised to find out I have a medium frame. I was very skinny in my teenage years and early 20s and everyone kept telling me I was just "small-boned" and "petite" so I just figured I had a small frame. No, I was just really underweight, especially for my height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness