Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:42 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times

Advertisements

Bosu ball, stability ball, medicine ball, elastic bands, floor matt, free weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 AM

72 posts, read 113,521 times
I would definitely add a pull up/chin up bar to that list along with some free weights!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
LOL .. okay I don't have room or money to have any more big equipment. Regarding the pull/up chin up bar lol... I am so far away from being able to use that lol. That one I will hold out on for now lol. The space I am working with is around 5-4 m. Not too big, but I can't take up the entire basement. Thanks again to everyone who provided some ideas.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
This is what I have:

Used Precor S3.21 Home Gym - Coast Fitness (mine has a leg press too)
Punching bag
Elliptical
Kettlebells
Hula hoop

I had a stationary bike but it was boring and it didn't provide much exercise compared to a regular bike or the elliptical, so I got rid of it. I had a spin bike and that did provide a huge amount of exercise, but my kids wanted to use it too and I didn't feel like it was safe for them.

I had a Bowflex because the hubby and I grew up watching the commercials and so we always wanted one. It was neat looking and you could fold the bench to save space, but it didn't feel like it was doing anything for us. We used it for about a year and then got rid of it and bought an older Precor machine. Used the older Precor machine for 9 months, noticed that both of us were gaining muscle but wanted to take things up a notch, so we sold the old Precor and bought the newer one which had about twice as many things you could do with it. Bringing it home was pretty difficult...it filled the entire bed of the pickup and we couldn't put the tailgate up. It was really heavy and even though it was partially assembled already, it took a lot of muscle and effort to put it together. If we'd had to move it further than the garage, I don't think we would have managed it. So if you ever get a big machine, buy it somewhere that you can have it delivered, and pay for the assembly, it's worth it.

I think a kettlebell works a lot of muscles for being a fairly small, fairly inexpensive piece of equipment. If you drop it, you'd break the tiles, but depending on what you were doing, you'd probably injure yourself too, so you just have to make sure not to drop it. I'm fairly clumsy but I've never dropped mine.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:10 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I would suggest replacing all three of those machines (treadmill, elliptical and bike) with a rower.
Rower is the best cardio but its one of those hate it or love it pieces of equipment...really not that popular at all

Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
If you were building an at home gym and had a fairly limited amout of space what would be the core equipment you would want to have?
Squat rack
Olympic bumper weights
Pullup bar
Rower or Assault Air bike
jump rope

Old 07-06-2016, 04:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Rower is the best cardio but its one of those hate it or love it pieces of equipment...really not that popular at all
I have one... well I left it at my parents' house... and honestly it's just so hard on your hands after 10 minutes. They're supposed to have a decent resale value so i may try to sell it at some point.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Home gyms have been an utter fail for me. I much prefer actual gyms, where I have access to everything and am responsible for nothing (maintenance wise). All for $10/month.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
A regular bar is 7'. They make 6' and 5' bars if space is tight, but you can't fit as much weight on them and you'll be limited to squat stands. A squat rack with pullup bar takes up about 4' in the other direction, so you're looking at a minimum of 9'x6'. Add in an adjustable bench and dumbbell handles and you'll have everything you need for weight training. Since it's just a bunch of metal, buying everything used will save you 50% or more.

If you're limited by space and/or money, the super cheap route is to get squat stands and one of those standard bars that takes concrete filled weights.

As for the flooring, if you have something like a Tractor Supply Company nearby, they sell 4'x6'x3/4" mats cheap that work very well for gym flooring.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Home gyms have been an utter fail for me. I much prefer actual gyms, where I have access to everything and am responsible for nothing (maintenance wise). All for $10/month.
I would prefer going to a gym too, but between a 60 hour work week, being a parent, wife and trying to have as much of a social life as possible, my physical fitness time boils down to walking as much as possible during my work day and in doing recreational activities. I literally have a window of between 11 pm and 1 am to workout and don't live in walking distance to a 24 hour gym so a home gym is my main option. Plus I don't have to drag workout clothes and shower stuff around with me and can watch TV or listen to music without headphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness