Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 PM

213 posts, read 697,892 times

Advertisements

Only 37, but almost out of nowhere, much feels like it has gone south since I turned 36. While following my former 20's and early 30's routines, I was getting injured every three or four months, forcing a lay off, then restarting only to get hurt again, the cycle repeating itself...

I finally woke up and changed the following:

- 10-15 minute warm ups for the body parts being worked are now mandatory
- Increased rep range to 12-14 from 6-8
- Decreased set rest periods from 90-120 seconds to 45 seconds
- Added 30 minutes of cardio every three to four days.

*Fingers crossed* but have been going on five months without a serious injury so far. Only minor joint pains here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Good stuff. One thing That affected me a lot was when I had a major sciatic nerve issue that basically prevented me from doing any sort of squat or deadlift movement for almost 9 months without severe pain. I also couldn't do any serious biking or running for quite a while. I think the big issue has been rebuilding the strength and muscle that I lost during that long layoff, and getting back to where I was without incurring injury in the process. I'm really working on just incorporating more volume and frequency gradually to rebuild muscle and restore the neural connections I had stored for many of my preferred exercises. Hopefully doing this, as well as eating better and adding more warmups and cardio will help get me back close to the level I used to be - and maybe even better in some physical capacities (especially cardio which I think I've neglected for a while now, and which used to be my strength!).

Old 07-12-2016, 11:53 AM

69 posts, read 73,363 times
Never been an exercise fan (especially cardio) but I started weightlifting when I was 50 and I'm now 52. Very basic stuff...bench press, dumbbells, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. I'm definitely stronger and look & feel much healthier. The fact I'm even exercising is a "win" in itself, and I do it about 3-4 times a week. The key for me is to know my limits and not push too hard to cause injury. Baby steps is fine with me.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I've been lifting in my 20s and now in my late 30s, I continue to lift just not as intense as I used to. I did have 2 years of a break due to work and it's very hard to get back into it if you take a long break. You muscular strength really falls off quickly if you stop lifting for more than 6 months+

Age does play a factor with recovery and endurance. When I was younger, I could do slow and steady sets much longer. Now as I get older, my strength hasn't dropped off that much but I can't do the same amount of reps especially at a slow pace.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:51 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
My intensity in my workouts have increased since I've crossed the 40 year old threshold. Not because I wanted to increase the intensity, but because I have to. I have to work much harder to achieve what used to come extremely easy for me when I was in my 20's and early 30's. By the time I hit 40, I felt like the lights were turned off. On top of that, I don't have as much free time to spend in the gym as I did when I was single and childless. So, it makes me work that much harder. But aside from that, for me, it's not about gaining size and looking like a linebacker. It's more about being in great cardiovascular shape and having more of a lean muscular body. I want to be able to enjoy playing a game of tennis or throwing the ball around with my son, go on nature hikes, and just being active in general. I don't plan on growing old gracefully. I want to fight it, tooth and nail.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Only 37, but almost out of nowhere, much feels like it has gone south since I turned 36. While following my former 20's and early 30's routines, I was getting injured every three or four months, forcing a lay off, then restarting only to get hurt again, the cycle repeating itself...

I finally woke up and changed the following:

- 10-15 minute warm ups for the body parts being worked are now mandatory
- Increased rep range to 12-14 from 6-8
- Decreased set rest periods from 90-120 seconds to 45 seconds
- Added 30 minutes of cardio every three to four days.

*Fingers crossed* but have been going on five months without a serious injury so far. Only minor joint pains here and there.
Great advice!

Injury. It happens. It is all to common after a certain age. Like with worn out knees from running, change has to come. It is good, OP, that you recognize it and are willing to adjust accordingly--unlike some obstinate people out there who insist their over forty bodies can still take a licking ruining life and limb.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I regular lift weights now at 40 than I did at 20 and I'm all the better for it. Of course I have to be mindful of my medical issues but I feel stronger, look better, and find myself more challenged.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
I've made one significant change since turning 40, I'm now 43 and have been lifting for 16 years regularly, well two changes really and one came from my MD after my second shoulder surgery that added 3 screws, and 40 stitches to hold my labrum together.
I wish I made this change 16 years ago, it's an easy change that I wish more people would practice, never, ever, letting my elbows go past 90 degrees on bench press, the other being 3 days a week of serious stretching, like Yoga.

Just the stretching had made an enormous difference on my recovery, plus the not needing the bar to bounce off my chest like I'm a football player at the combine has made me feel almost 25 again..... Almost.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:35 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Don't ever train until failure. I think adopting a program that utilizes sub-maximal lifts is a great idea. It's actually been proven based on Russian records that sub-maximal lifting, often in the 70% range is more effective than max lifting. This article gives you some insight into this.

4 Secrets of Soviet Weightlifting (As Revealed by Pavel) | Breaking Muscle

Other than that, joint rotations are great, and definitely some flexibility training.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:37 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Don't ever train until failure. I think adopting a program that utilizes sub-maximal lifts is a great idea. It's actually been proven based on Russian records that sub-maximal lifting, often in the 70% range is more effective than max lifting. This article gives you some insight into this.

4 Secrets of Soviet Weightlifting (As Revealed by Pavel) | Breaking Muscle

Other than that, joint rotations are great, and definitely some flexibility training.
I read your link and did not come to the same conclusion. This site is referencing the training methods of Soviet Olympic weightliftersfrom the 1960s up to 1990, so it is somewhat dated.

Some of the statements on this site are:

Quote:
The First Rule: Most Lifts Should Be in the 70-85% Range
Not exactly the same as "Don't ever train until failure," or "often in the 70% range."

Quote:
Around 68% of the lifts came in at around 70-85% of 1RM. Only 5% of the lifts were above 90%.
How is this stating, "Don't ever train until failure."

If I do a set of bench presses of 10 reps and fail on the last rep, what % of my reps were above 90% of 1RM?

The answer is none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness