Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:41 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I'm still a newb to the strength training world, so forgive me. During my work out, more often than not I start with the cardio first to get it out of the way. I'm just not into cardio but I do it for the obvious heart benefits and the need to do aerobic activity. I do about 30 minutes on two machines and it is vigorous - my heartrate is in the 80-85% zone.

After that, I lift with my trainer or on my own for about 30-40 minutes. I'm wondering if I could lift heavier if I moved the cardio to the end of the workout. I recover pretty quickly from cardio (within seconds) and think I'm doing ok with the weights...I'm lifting a good amount of weight.. but there are some days where I feel like I run out of gas earlier than I'd like. Conversely, there are those days where I blow through the cardio like a beast and lift well with energy to spare. I work out after work, so that may come into play as well. By the time I get to the gym (which is by my house), my energy reserves could already be depleted. What do y'all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
The advantage to cardio before weightlifting is it is a warmup prior to lifting. The issue I have is I sweat a lot when I run on a treadmill. Even if I change shirts, I'm still leaving a lot of sweat so I have to avoid machines and benches for at least 20 minutes after I run or I'm wiping off pools of sweat. I've also run after lifting and got off the treadmill at closing time in the dead of winter. I would wrap a towel around my head and walk outside in freezing temperatures. Not pleasant!

I really don't think the order makes much difference. I've done it both ways and I think one has a minimal effect on the other. When I was running a lot of races, I would often do a leg workout (squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc.) and then go to the track and run 800 meter intervals. I've also done leg workouts after running a 5K or 10K race.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:24 AM

444 posts, read 324,383 times
I think cardio is an EXCELLENT warm-up before going hard in a gym.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Whatever.
You can do weights in a manner that you will keep your heart rate above 120 bpm.
I learned one thing though. You have to LIKE what you do. Forced exercise always ends in fail.
There are two ways to deal with this.
1. you do it the way you do it, OP. Just get over it.
2. you change your "like it" routine so that you have "don't like it" results.
It's up to you which way to pursue. I am with you to some extent. I do not like cardio. Never did. Always was a weights guy. Or tennis. Ping pong, I mean. But I like cycling. So every other training day I have cycling incorporated and and every other training system - I change every 3 weeks - I use system that runs weights cardio style. Strips. Always did it for me. You can do cyclic exercise too. I always aimed to lower my ADL heart rate bpm though. I once had my resting HR at 45. Now, at 61, I have it below 60. I am frugal, I am saving beats, just like I save gas.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Cardio before weight training
Its a perfect warmup to weight training. My standard warmup is 30 minutes of jump rope.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 2,756 times
im a newb as well and as i remember, i read that first weight lifting and than cardio?! not sure tho

Old 08-06-2016, 04:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
If intensity cardio then it spike T-levels for spinning. Ideal for males. Females have so little test. I do not know if it benefits them in that manner.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
What you should do is what works for you. If you like to do cardio before weights then do it. If you like to do it after, then do that. The differences are negligible.
Ideally its a few minutes of warmup before lifting. Do your weight training, then whatever you have left expend it on cardio.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,032 times
It probably doesn't matter much, but I always do cardio after just for courtesy . I don't want to get all the equipment nasty with sweat.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
What you should do is what works for you. If you like to do cardio before weights then do it. If you like to do it after, then do that. The differences are negligible.
Ideally its a few minutes of warmup before lifting. Do your weight training, then whatever you have left expend it on cardio.
This is my preferred method ^^^. I never lift weights without warmup, which for me means some cardio, but not TOO much or I am spent. I do my weight set in between, then finish up my cardio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness