Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mother of two seeking information on dieting tips, have been on strict diet for two weeks and have gained three pounds, limiting sugar to 40 grams per day

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,265,962 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have started dieting to lose some of my belly weight : ) I am sticking to a pretty bland diet: carrots (sometimes with fat free ranch), celery w/PB, low sugar and low carb granola bars (usually 1 for breakfast and maybe another throughout the day). I also eat fresh baby spinach with a "diet friendly" dressing, and eggs. I am drinking about 5 bottles of water a day, and limiting sugar to around 40 grams a day. I usually eat a normal dinner (usually chicken), just a very small portion. Since I have twin 2 year olds, my time is limited for exercise so I really don't. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks, and I have gained 3 lbs!! I am not cheating, I don't eat fried or greasy food anymore and havent had one french fry or indulged in any high calorie yummy food. I don't drink anything but water. What am I doing wrong? Is it just going to take time? I am only looking to lose about 15 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,186 times
I'm no expert here so hopefully those will weigh in, but my first reaction was that you have cut things back a lot and your body is going into the mode of thinking it's being starved, so it's hanging on to what it's got.
I can only imagine how busy 2 twins (wow!) keep you busy, but if there is any way you could add some exercise it probably would really help as well.
The issue I see with just dieting like that and not doing an over all lifestyle change and adding exercise is that you'll have to continue to eat like that to keep weight off, and that would be really hard.....

Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM

thanks, but how can I be considered in starvation mode, I really CHOW on the mentioned food? I mean, I munch all day long but its all healthy stuff, even with the peanut butter and dips? and with the reasonable dinner??? LOL Yes, I have been blessed with my angels, luckily they are VERY well behaved (These are our first and we've been told my soo many how good they are, they do give us a run though!)

Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,595,113 times
I agree. I think you're not eating enough. I am not an expert, but that would be my thought.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,977,781 times
The other posters here are correct. I dont think youre eating enough and youre not eating a good diet. The things you eat arent bad, but you are not getting everything you need so your body could be in starvation mode. You also will definately need to include some type of exercise into your daily routine to be successful. Get one of those double jogging strollers and take your babies for a 2-3 mile walk.

Please give us an idea of what your average daily diet is like.

What do you eat for breakfast?

What do you eat for lunch?

What do you eat for dinner?

What are your snacks?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM

I usually eat a granola bar and a cup of coffee for breakfast

Lunch, none but I snack until dinner on cheese, celery and PB, hard boiled eggs, carrots and dip, maybe another granola bar

Dinner usually includes a chicken breast, or beef with more vegetables (maybe a spinach salad) and a potato.

I am limiting my sugar to 40 grams a day, and really watching carbs and sodium. I am very suprised that I have gotten to this point even though its only been 2 weeks. I have really disciplined my self. So what am I missing? How can I eat more calories without eating more fat??

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,064,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
I usually eat a granola bar and a cup of coffee for breakfast

Lunch, none but I snack until dinner on cheese, celery and PB, hard boiled eggs, carrots and dip, maybe another granola bar

Dinner usually includes a chicken breast, or beef with more vegetables (maybe a spinach salad) and a potato.

I am limiting my sugar to 40 grams a day, and really watching carbs and sodium. I am very suprised that I have gotten to this point even though its only been 2 weeks. I have really disciplined my self. So what am I missing? How can I eat more calories without eating more fat??
Definitely try the walking thing. Can your 2 year-olds play ball games? If you have a tennis court nearby that is empty in the day, take them there with at least 5 balls of different kinds, the idea is you have to keep chasing the balls and giving them back to the kids to throw or kick - fantastic exercise for all of you and you'll laugh too!

You could cut down on fat and sugar by having an unsweetened cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast, maybe with sliced banana? Granola bars can have lots of sugar and fat in them, you'll get more food for the calories with cereal.

Leave out the high-fat cheese and PB, and maybe the dips - unless they're low fat. It's better to have an actual lunch, even a small one, so you can remember what you ate! Then snack on celery, apples, carrots but not fats or carbs.

The evening meal sounds fine to me - as long as you don't add butter etc to it, but don't eat too late in the day, 6pm latest if you can - then more celery if you love it!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,653,722 times
I think you are not getting enough protein. as mentioned, the cheese, pb has lots of fat. granola bars are loaded with sugar.

try eating a breakfast of some fruit and yogurt. a mid morning snack of a granola-like bar that has at least 6 grams of protein.(kashi) makes some.

eat lunch. some protein with some salad. even a frozen lean cuisine type meal.

some veggies with fat free dip in the afternoon.
dinner-again with lean protein and veggies/salad.
watch the white breads, potatoes, and white rice.
be sure to have fat free milk somewhere in the mix. and definitely watch your portions.
it is always the portions..I think you can have almost anything to eat if you watch the portions and keep the total calories between 1400 and 1500. plus add a little activity.
I have been recording my food intake since mid january and have lost 11 pounds. everything says, slow weight loss is the way to go! good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
i did kaiser semi fast. 1 modest meal and 3 cans of slim fast a day with mild exercise.
slow but it works.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,907,570 times
First, you need to exercise. Don't take this the wrong way, but we all have things that keep us busy, you still need to find time and you can if you want to.

Second, you need to eat more and better. 3 meals a day with 2 healthy snacks- such as a low fat/low sugar yogurt and fruit.

A granola bar and coffee is not a breakfast. That is processed and will keep the fat on.

You need to eat a healthy (whole grain) carb with protein at every meal. If you eat rice, only brown, if pasta only whole wheat.

As for exercising, you should do a combo of cardio and weights.

Remember protein and healthy carb with every meal.

I eat 2000 calories a day and am a size 0. I did this by only eating healthy food, about 5 meals a day, each 400 cal, and lots of protein. I am a vegetarian by the way and still eat 100 grams protein daily. I also workout 6 days a week, usually 3 days of running and 3 days of weight training. Yes, I am married, children, we are all busy, but there is always time for your own health.

DO not starve yourself! DO not eat too few calories! This will only slow down your metabolism. DO NOT do the slimfast diet, its a joke, high in sugars. If you want to drink protein shakes in between meals thats fine, but not as substitute. Also, works better if you actually workout and drink those shakes.
GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness