Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Does anyone actually like steady state cardio for their workouts? By steady state, I mean doing an aerobic activity for a longer duration like 45-60 minutes, at a pace that makes your heart rate go up and you sweat, but not so much that you're gasping for breath.

I've been doing 60 minutes on the elliptical about 4-5 times per week the past month.

It seems like there's been a move in the fitness world the past years against steady state cardio (which did sway me for a bit, admittedly). There have been compelling studies that show long distance/long timed cardio could be harmful to your health, mainly due to inflammatory markers in the blood. So people have been jumping on the anti cardio bandwagon and that's why things like Crossfit and interval training like Tabata's, have become so popular and the mainstay of modern workout routines.

But personally, I love long cardio. It makes me look and feel better. I do interval type training once in a while to switch things up a bit, but I will never give up steady state cardio just because the 'experts' have deemed it wasteful and harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 04:07 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
I like doing cardio for long as well. I feel great afterwards as well.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Research suggests that the majority of your training should be aerobic and alactic in nature. Glycolysis should be avoided whenever possible.

Training below your anaerobic threshold does not impede the body's ability to utilize oxygen, and doesn't destroy mitochondria which are critical to healthy immune system function. A compromised immune system will eventually lead to systematic issues that could result in a myriad of health concerns that inhibit your ability to exercise.

Last edited by Jobster; 02-05-2017 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 07:29 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Does anyone actually like steady state cardio for their workouts? By steady state, I mean doing an aerobic activity for a longer duration like 45-60 minutes, at a pace that makes your heart rate go up and you sweat, but not so much that you're gasping for breath.

I've been doing 60 minutes on the elliptical about 4-5 times per week the past month.

It seems like there's been a move in the fitness world the past years against steady state cardio (which did sway me for a bit, admittedly). There have been compelling studies that show long distance/long timed cardio could be harmful to your health, mainly due to inflammatory markers in the blood. So people have been jumping on the anti cardio bandwagon and that's why things like Crossfit and interval training like Tabata's, have become so popular and the mainstay of modern workout routines.

But personally, I love long cardio. It makes me look and feel better. I do interval type training once in a while to switch things up a bit, but I will never give up steady state cardio just because the 'experts' have deemed it wasteful and harmful.
Cyclists think nothing of pedaling for several hours. Often at just such an intensity as you describe. Certainly not "wasteful and harmful" whatsoever. Extreme marathon running, however, HAS been shown to eventually promote heart damage.

Most importantly: " I love long cardio." That, right there, is good reason to go for it.

Don in Austin

Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM

375 posts, read 297,103 times
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the sort of cardio workout you describe and have been doing. Congrats on that, as you with that amount of cardio are probably in the 90th percentile for American adults! So good job.

I would be remiss if I didn't let you know, however, that many studies and tests have pretty much proven beyond refute that interval training is a more optimal way to burn fat than steady state, as you call it. You might try it. Just do sprints at about 75-90% of your full on flat out 50 meter dash fastest. Do them for, say, one minute followed by a one minute or slightly longer walking rest period. Or if you're able, jog slowly between sprints. Do this for half an hour or longer if you can, as a twice a week supplement to your long steady cardio workouts. I think! You'll see some results!

Serious runners do three types of workouts every week. They do the long easy runs, as you mentioned, added with the speed work or interval training, and they also do what we call tempo runs, which is basically running at about 70% of your best one mile time, for a period that is about half the time of your long steady run.

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Cyclists think nothing of pedaling for several hours. Often at just such an intensity as you describe. Certainly not "wasteful and harmful" whatsoever. Extreme marathon running, however, HAS been shown to eventually promote heart damage.

Most importantly: " I love long cardio." That, right there, is good reason to go for it.

Don in Austin
Yeah, but unless you are riding on a completely flat trail/road which, as a cyclist myself, would bore me stiff, it is NOT steady state. Flats are always easier to ride than hills, even at higher gear settings.

OP, I'm just getting into elliptical training, and I can only do 20 minutes, tops, right now!

Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Research suggests that the majority of your training should be aerobic and alactic in nature. Glycolysis should be avoided whenever possible.

Training below your anaerobic threshold does not impede the body's ability to utilize oxygen, and doesn't destroy mitochondria which are critical to healthy immune system function. A compromised immune system will eventually lead to systematic issues that could result in a myriad of health concerns that inhibit your ability to exercise.
How about just doing what you love and leaving all this mumbo jumbo out of it?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
I like it. I usually do it a few times per week as my early morning cardio. But, I have found that I get the optimum results (fat burning and athletic improvement) when I mix things up.

For example, my morning cardio for the week is:

Monday: 7 mile run
Tuesday: 10 x 100 yard full speed sprints with 10 burpees, 10 pushups and 10 squats after each sprint.
Wednesday: 5 mile run
Thursday: 40 minutes of double under jump rope followed by Tabatas of air squats, mountain climbers, and pushups
Friday: 5 mile run

As I get older, the runs act as almost a meditative type workout. I feel great after. I think steady-state is great and has a place in EVERY fitness program, but optimal results require tabata and/or high intensity as well.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
40 minutes of cardio is about the max I'll do and it's never on one machine. I find cardio to be very boring and I have limited time. Whatever I'm doing works well enough for me. I'd say I'm moderate to a bit above moderate intensity.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How about just doing what you love and leaving all this mumbo jumbo out of it?
Indeed. Unless the training regimen can ultimately prove unhealthy for your age or other circumstance, going with what you love is good advice. The only thing I'd add is that as you age it's more important to do complementary exercises - in my 20s/30s I'd just run. Minimal stretching before runs, usually none afterwards. Now, in my mid-60s, I spend a lot of time stretching before and after runs and work with light weights & do stretching/core work on the off/non-running days. I've never felt better. I'm a lot slower per mile, but overall conditioning ... never better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness