Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

I woke up at 18 with back pain. And had been dancing for about 5 yrs already. My mom and her sisters all had OA. Never had replacements in their days.

I spent many many chiro appts and osteopathic treatments over my long life and never had a back surgery etc. I'm sure moving a lot helped me get thru it all and I had FUN dancing. But I see todays' over doing it and think, they'll pay too.

A couple friends who live next door did the steps behind our apts and these are probably a couple hundred steps where today many still do them, fire dept practices there too, both these ladies have lives pushing themselves on rollaters around their apt. These ladies are almost 90 and mid 70's. The 90 yr old is going for 2nd hip replacement. The 70some one won't do any surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 05:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've found that out. I danced and exercised all my life since 13 to into my mid 60's....years of dancing, gym and LONG LONG miles of walking. Never ran.

Today in late 70's joints are a MESS. I have talked to many others who did so much of what I did and they are having the same results in their older lives.

I deal with arthritis from an early age, 18 first sign, and today good gosh....

MODERATION. Keep moving, but don't go nuts.
To be quite honest with you, this doesn't sound like you have done much exercise in your life. I don't understand why people want to keep coming on here and saying that they think they did too much exercise and now they are paying the price with arthritis. The people who have really exercise a lot over 40-50 years are not the ones coming on here and complaining about how exercise destroyed their joints. That is because they are typically still exercising. I'm now 62. I've decided I'm going to slow down and only play in over 30 basketball leagues. So I do believe in moderation!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 PM

You have no clue about how much I did in my life. Don't believe what I've said, no skin off my back. I know what I've done in my long life and I stopped the 5-7 days per week gym in my mid 60's...

Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
To be quite honest with you, this doesn't sound like you have done much exercise in your life. I don't understand why people want to keep coming on here and saying that they think they did too much exercise and now they are paying the price with arthritis. The people who have really exercise a lot over 40-50 years are not the ones coming on here and complaining about how exercise destroyed their joints. That is because they are typically still exercising. I'm now 62. I've decided I'm going to slow down and only play in over 30 basketball leagues. So I do believe in moderation!
How do you manage playing in so many basketball leagues with having a social life?

Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
I've found that out. I danced and exercised all my life since 13 to into my mid 60's....years of dancing, gym and LONG LONG miles of walking. Never ran.

Today in late 70's joints are a MESS. I have talked to many others who did so much of what I did and they are having the same results in their older lives.

I deal with arthritis from an early age, 18 first sign, and today good gosh....

MODERATION. Keep moving, but don't go nuts.
good to know. really-
and since I am someone whose ideal exercise involves a hammock, GREAT (I do walk but its something I make myself DO, and I have dogs who keep me moving, lol, but this is GREAT news)-
thanks!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:04 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Isn't the average life span around late 70s? I'm not sure your Joint issues prove anything. My grandma had been in a wheelchair for years in her late 70s

Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I am 69. I walked EVERYWHERE during my childhood. Including to grade school, home for lunch, then back to school again. We walked to middle school and home also. In other words, we kids walked a lot, so did not lead a sedentary childhood.
I have bad knees now, but I blame it more on anti estrogen drugs after breast cancer than anything else. Others of my age have knees that are perfectly fine.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 PM

I also walked and walked all my childhood and everyone has their own experiences and beliefs about why they are where they are now. I don't know too many in my age area who don't have knee and other joint issues.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:33 PM

21,866 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
I also walked and walked all my childhood and everyone has their own experiences and beliefs about why they are where they are now. I don't know too many in my age area who don't have knee and other joint issues.
At 70? None. There's probably a few who aren't symptomatic but by 70 everyone has pretty significant joint degeneration. Symptomatic part is more the variant. You can take two people with identical amounts of degeneration and one can have significant disability while the other maybe just takes few minutes to get the old joints moving in the morning and then they're off walking three miles a day.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
By your late 70's I think the majority of those people have joint pains. Most are not sprinting fast or doing real heavy weights with proper form.

I do think it's best not to overdo it with any type of exercise since it's basically wear and tear. Whether it's physical labor, sports, everyday chores it can all add up in the long run. I don't expect to be pain free if I should live to my late 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness