Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 10:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

After a lot of self-reflection I realized I actually hate the gym. Or it could just be my local gyms, this wasn't the case a few years ago. But basically all of the big gyms that are convenient for home or work are ridiculously crowded all day. The problem with living in dense urban areas. The only time they are tolerable is from 5a-630a. And I have meetings at 8a so often that is not manageable. I need to leave for work at 7. And I cannot for the life of me go to bed earlier than 10:45. It is just not enough sleep. And I tend to get home late.

I even considered paying way more for the fancy gym, while it is close to my job it would be far from home and weekends are a critical free time for me to fit in exercise. I looked at the neighboring cities but they were honestly too far, not convenient and just as crowded.

I also hate that they are loud. Hate that I need to bring a lock and all sorts of crap to use it, particularly after work.

I looked at the boutique gyms in my neighborhood and the trainer gyms and and they all have what I'd call ladies who lunch hours. Aka they open at 8 or 9 and close at 5. I have tried spinning a few times, it is just ok and I wanted more strength training. And I also need to work on flexibility and balance. I thought about trying out the yoga studios, but it seems like everything is bikram or restorative. Not quite right.

Anyway as luck would have it, a new boutique place opened up in an area near home that is easy to get to. It is a lagree fitness studio. I had no idea what it was so I googled it. And it sounded super cool: core work like Pilates, fast paced like circuit training and strength training mixed in.

It sounded like all the things I wanted. And the class size was small. It also said all levels welcome, great for me who is mostly beginner at this stage. Oh and the logistics are easy a. It is low impact so I can wear even. H worst sports bras. And no shoes required, just grippy socks. So it is easy to fit a change of clothing and socks in my bag. And it is about a 20 minute walk from home so I can get in some extra steps on the way ther and back. It is even close to the grocery so I can multitask.

Now I have gone maybe 6-7 times and holy moly, it is super hard! But the best thing is, everyone at all levels is getting their butt kicked!

I've been to some other classes and it never feels like the right level. It is too slow, too easy or way too hard.

This is a happy medium - even when making it easier it is still hard and it can get harder. And it addresses the things I want to work on to build a good foundation as I think of other things I'd like to incorporate.

Right now since it is new, the schedule isn't great but they are adding more classes and I am working towards adding 3 days a week! I am filling the rest of my exercise time with walking and walking the stairs in my neighborhood park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 03:35 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Yay - glad you found something that works so well for you! I pretty much gave up working out at the gym, I don't like it, I take dance classes there and elsewhere and just work out a bit at home (along with bike riding). It is always great to figure out what suits each of us.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
jade408, have you ever considered a mix of kettlebells and calisthenics? You can do it at home and you can build a great foundation.

During the winter, the only conditioning I do is with kettlebells, but my resting heart rate is in the mid to low forties. You also build strength and mobility and the best part is that you can do it at home.

You also build a great balanced looking body body if you have your diet in check.

Anyway, if you're interested I can provide you with some guidance to help you get to the level you want.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
I don't understand the interject of "OMG" in this?

Are you trying to instill a fake and shallow excitement factor in an attempt to get some attention, in something that generally people won't care about?

Again, nothing personal against you.
It's the "approach and presentation" in the title that seems very superficial.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:46 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I'm glad you found a class. Due to finances, I've had to go back to using exercise CDs in my living room. One plus: I can wear whatever I want!

I get CDs free from the library.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
jade408, have you ever considered a mix of kettlebells and calisthenics? You can do it at home and you can build a great foundation.

During the winter, the only conditioning I do is with kettlebells, but my resting heart rate is in the mid to low forties. You also build strength and mobility and the best part is that you can do it at home.

You also build a great balanced looking body body if you have your diet in check.

Anyway, if you're interested I can provide you with some guidance to help you get to the level you want.
I don't love calisthenics! I want to try a kettlebell class. I have one, and need to learn more and proper form! But it is not my state of mind at the moment, but in the winter it is a good plan! Would love your tips! I do think they are pretty fun!

But I like being with people vs working out at home!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Happened to me when I found tennis.

Now yesterday, I played 2 hours of doubles in the morning. Then an hour drill. Then 2 more hours of doubles in the evening.

But it's not just the hours of playing. It's the working out (lifting, footwork drills, stretching, biking) to get better at playing. So now working out has a purpose - to be better at tennis.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Happened to me when I found tennis.

Now yesterday, I played 2 hours of doubles in the morning. Then an hour drill. Then 2 more hours of doubles in the evening.

But it's not just the hours of playing. It's the working out (lifting, footwork drills, stretching, biking) to get better at playing. So now working out has a purpose - to be better at tennis.
I really like tennis. No partners. 😭😭😭

Old 05-18-2017, 12:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I really like tennis. No partners. 😭😭😭
That happened to me when I started 2 years ago, too.
So I took a lesson or two and then just rented time on the ball machine.
I did that for like 2-3 months.

The center had some league postings, so I asked, but they were all full.
Then someone got hurt, so they called me to take her place.
From there, I was able to sign up for different leagues.
Soon, since I was literally winning everything, I was asked to play on competitive league teams.

Now, 2 years later, I have far more tennis invites than I can possibly handle, and I easily play/drill 10-15 hours a week. I didn't play Sunday or today (work), but I've already hit 7 hours. I have a match on Saturday, and I'll probably drill on Friday morning, as well. Besides that, I've said no to 3 other invitations to play just for fun (bc of work - boo!).

Talk about from rags to riches on the no one to play with thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness