Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Ok, when I first started my fitness, specifically strength training, journey I, like most, focused on muscle size. My trainer at the time preached three sets of ten, and that's what I was doing until recently. I have decent enough definition but now I want strength and size. Courtesy of this forum I learned that I should lift heavier and do less reps. I've increased the Dumbbells by five pounds and do three sets of 8. I hit failure around that point. Am I doing things right or is 10 the way to go? Suggestions? I'm 41, female if that matters. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I think that is a hard question. Do you know about the StrongLifts 5x5? 5 exercises, each set is 5 reps.
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I think all numbers can give you results, but the question is always which results do you want.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:23 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Between 5 and 8. Explanation below.

Reps Per Set for Optimal Growth : Bodyrecomposition

Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Recalling rule-of-thumb from prehistoric days: 1-2 for sudden explosive power; 4-6 for strength; 8-12 for hypertrophy (size). This was actually preached by NFL strength coaches back in the day.
_________

Very high reps would hit the endurance fibers.

Yep, that's what was preached. But I've known baseball players during an era when lifting was taboo because it would make you too knotted up, who would do nothing more than use hand squeezers doing reps on top of reps and develop forearms that looked like Popeye.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think that is a hard question. Do you know about the StrongLifts 5x5? 5 exercises, each set is 5 reps.
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I think all numbers can give you results, but the question is always which results do you want.
Stronglifts 5x5 is highly overrated. It's not really that good of a program. Plus, I have a hard time adopting the training methods of a guy who has been lifting for over 10 years who's not even as strong as I am. There are much better programs out there.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Thanks guys. very informative.
well I am sore now, more sore than before. I can always stand to have even more size but I think diet may also play a role in that. My profile pic shows my current state...I am definitely a newb lifter but have done ok. I think I want to take things to another level. I want strength not just the aesthetic. Again, courtesy of y'all, I realize that there's a difference and how you train makes a difference.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:53 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
You don't "lift heavier and do less reps".
If you want to gain strength, you steadily increase weight moved. this automatically reduces your ability to do reps. Number of reps should be limited by weight moved, not by your decision. Last 2 reps should be performed with maxx effort. That is the gauge.
It is old principle of pyramids.
Say, after warm up, you can do biceps curl with most effort and 50 lb per arm. Just a number.
That sets your benchmark. 100% weight. 1 rep.
Then you design a set like this:
50% warm up reps.
1 minute rest
65%
1 minute rest
80%
1 minute rest
90-95%
1 minute rest
100%
1 minute rest
60% backoff reps.

When you can do 100% x3, you reset your benchmark to the new weight, heavier. One that you can do only 1 rep with absolute effort.
Of course, this is for pure form.
You start with 2 pyramids like this and progress to 3.
Do not do more than 3 pyramid sets per muscle group

You should alternate pyramids with 21s and strips. Do month of pyramids, thgen 2 weeks of 21s two weeks of strips go back to pyramids.

When you get hang of pyramids, circle back here, we can discuss how to overcome plateaus.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Perhaps this may be of some help:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/set-rep-bible

There are a ton of rep/set combinations to choose from. Personally, I usually do sets of 3-6 reps for compound lifts.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Stronglifts 5x5 is highly overrated. It's not really that good of a program. Plus, I have a hard time adopting the training methods of a guy who has been lifting for over 10 years who's not even as strong as I am. There are much better programs out there.
It is for new people, works well for them in my opinion, given it is structured and new people generally do not know enough to structure their own program nor follow something more advanced. But once someone starts approaching intermediate, its benefits drop quickly and they should know enough by then to find programs, or create one, that fit their goals.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Yeah I train for strength lately and my top "set" is only 1-2 reps, I'm basically one rep maxing the bench press. I try to do 2 or 3 but realistically it's at the maximum of my capabilities. I do also believe you can do both, though, as described in a few articles where your workout week may look like:

Upper body / strength (high weight, low rep)

Lower body / strength (high weight, low rep)

Upper body / hypertrophy (high rep, lower weight)

Lower body / hypertrophy (high rep, lower weight)

People say you can't train for both at once, and they're right and wrong. Yeah, you can't train *in the same workout* very easily or effectively for both strength and hypertrophy if you're an experienced lifter (you probably can if you're a beginner, though), but you absolutely can in the same week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness