Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet while cycling, skateboarding, or using a push scooter?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:13 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

a) Cherry picking one state and two years for comparison of data is meaningless when these measurements have a very large SD., so I'm not impressed with your Michigan example. About 20 yrs ago, Florida and another state (?TN)did away with their helmet laws and death rate/ injury rate went down the next year.

2) Thanks for catching my error in calculation: a 30 ft fall would give terminal spreed ~30mph. Who rides a MC at <30mph? And a 6-footer falling down hits his head at 12mph. So you don't need a helmet at speeds <12mph and faster than ~15mph it does no good.

c] force /area? How much does it take to cause concussion or rupture of tissue? Are your figures of practical importance? You're deluded if you think the improved deceleration profile afforded by helmet suspension or padding from zero to a few microseconds has practical import. Put on your helmet and run headlong into a brick wall if you trust it that much. If you're an Olympic sprinter, you'll only be going 20mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I can be reckless on the mountain bike. Gotta wear it.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:05 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Anything less than a motorcycle - No. Dont want to look silly. There is not enough speed to get seriously hurt.
That's what my spouse and I thought.

Then I hear my spouse crashing behind me on a leisurely bicycle ride. Maybe 12 mph.
Spouse on the ground, blood from nose and ears, uncontrolled spasms, seizure, regains consciousness after some time, gets rushed to the ER, falls into a two week coma followed by months of recovery from a brain injury.

Lasting side effect is anosmia due to a severed olfactory nerve.

We are very fragile. I will never ride a bicycle without a helmet.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Anything less than a motorcycle - No. Dont want to look silly. There is not enough speed to get seriously hurt.
Wrong. The car that knocks you off the bike causing your head to hit asphalt can be lethal.

Silly? How silly would you look as a vegetable being fed through a straw and having your rear end wiped for you?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
That's what my spouse and I thought.

Then I hear my spouse crashing behind me on a leisurely bicycle ride. Maybe 12 mph.
Spouse on the ground, blood from nose and ears, uncontrolled spasms, seizure, regains consciousness after some time, gets rushed to the ER, falls into a two week coma followed by months of recovery from a brain injury.

Lasting side effect is anosmia due to a severed olfactory nerve.

We are very fragile. I will never ride a bicycle without a helmet.
Sorry to hear. Believe it or not, I posted my reply before reading yours.......

Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Maybe 12 mph..........., blood from nose and ears,

Sorry to hear about his accident. Statistics are cold hearted and can't account for the personal implications of individual events.

A bike helmet is designed to help only at speeds up to ~12mph. They're tested by dropping them from 2m-- speed at impact 12mph.

Bleeding from the ears is typical of a basilar skull fracture-- the type requiring the most force to achieve-- so he hit really hard.

Here's a non-emotional, practical explanation of bicycle helmets: Bicycle Helmets: What are their limits?
They site a research paper that claims ~2/3rd reduction in head injuries by using bicycle helmets, but unfortunately the source is pay-walled so I can't evaluate the veracity of that statement: it could be that they're counting even very minor headaches or scratches as "head injuries," so the conclusion may be exaggerated.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I did not wear a bicycle helmet when I was growing up. I'm not sure any were available for children until the late 1970s or so. I know serious bike racers wore them, but few other people did until the early 1990s when it became more of a thing, and helmets were made better and dropped a little in price.

These days, I don't ride my bicycle without a helmet.

I don't ride scooters or motorcycles.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm saying yes because I ride horses and use a helmet.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I'd be crazy not to. Living in a high- traffic area, where the bike lane is treated as an unofficial turning lane for cars.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM

526 posts, read 386,324 times
Cycling, always.
Skateboarding, never.
Skiing, always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness