Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 AM

296 posts, read 571,720 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Can you please give me some advice on this issue I am having? I have been drinking diet soda for the past ten years and consume 68 ounces a day. I am 50 pounds overweight and feel horrible about my appearance and want to change my life. I have tried drinking water with meals recently but I constantly go to the bathroom immediately after drinking the water. It makes it difficult to drink water with my lunch at work because I have to go to the bathroom almost immediately. Why does this occur? Is it the water flushing out my system? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 AM

717 posts, read 558,303 times
I have the same problem. I'm into fitness and I know it's good to drink water, but I just can't. I'd have to stay in the bathroom. It is a good idea to cut out all soda and you'll probably lose some weight from that because the artificial sweeteners mess with your metabolism. I don't drink any soda at all. My beverages are coffee with breakfast, water only if I'm thirsty or while exercising, a glass of milk with dinner, and a cup of tea in the evening (in cold weather).

I was overweight much of my adult life but began taking better care of myself ten years ago and feel great now. You can do it too!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
If you happen to be drinking caffeine/coffee around the time you're drinking h20, you're suffering from the diuretic effect of the caffeine - it happens to me every morning as I drink a large glass of h20 and drink a few cups of half-caff coffee.....guess I'm hurting myself as well as I'm trying to tank up before exercising, but it goes through me and the hydration benefit is lost.

If you're a mid-aged , the bladder wall changes. The elastic tissue becomes tough and the bladder becomes less stretchy. The bladder cannot hold as much urine as before. The bladder muscles weaken.
The urethra can become blocked. In women, this can be due to weakened muscles that cause the bladder or vagina to fall out of position (prolapse). In men, the urethra can become blocked by an enlarged prostate gland. (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004010.htm).

Just an aside, always a good idea to have annual exams by a health care provider to check your kidney function and blood work (ie blood glucose) to make sure you're not diabetic as polyuria (freq urination) is one of the classic signs of diabetes.

If you're drinking h20 on an empty stomach, yes, it'll pass through you quickly. If there's food on board (in the stomach) that'll slow the absorption down.

Good plan to stop all soda (diet, reg). I did that last year and haven't had a craving. It was a bad habit that I had for over 30 yrs (diet soda).

Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
That is a LOT of soda, and I've been there myself in all respects (weight, feeling bad physically, other issues). First, let me say that when you do kick soda, everything will improve. I lost about 40lbs in 3 months by ONLY dropping the soda, no other change in life or lifestyle. Hard to look back now and say if there were other positive changes, but I'm sure there were (this was nearly 20 years ago).

As for the bathroom part, I can't offer any concrete answer. I drink about a gallon of water a day now and while I have many more bathroom breaks than before (terrible on my kidneys, but I went twice a day during the soda years, when I got up and in the evening sometime), drinking water doesn't Make me need to pee immediately. If you were drinking tea, or using a "water enhancer", then it'd be easy as those are diuretics and Will make you need to pee very soon after. Some foods do the same, so check your diet to see if you're consuming something with that effect (Watermelon being the most well known). Could also be your body not being used to the hydration levels... or possibly you're drinking more than before?

Unless you have pains/feel poorly, it's unlikely a medical problem.

All I can say is that I encourage you to keep it up. Future you will thank current you for the lifestyle change. It may not be easy right now, but it gets easier.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:23 AM

296 posts, read 571,720 times
Thank You very much everyone. I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions. I am looking forward to feeling better about myself after getting rid of the diet soda. Thanks again!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Thank You very much everyone. I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions. I am looking forward to feeling better about myself after getting rid of the diet soda. Thanks again!
I suggest drinking water only, and drinking it away from meals rather than with them. Get a water bottle and keep sipping away on it throughout the day rather than guzzling a lot at at once.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Yea, ditch the soda. It's just a bunch of crap.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yea, ditch the soda. It's just a bunch of crap.
Yup..I haven't had a soda for a year and it's made a huge difference.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Were you having the same problem with the diet soda?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
I drink very little water myself because I will end up peeing all day. Happened to me when I was 25 and happens to me when I'm 54. It's really annoying at work when I have to go every 20 minutes. I generally do okay if I drink 8 ounces here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness