Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
As a late snack I've been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I'm trying to build lean muscle. I'm 5'10 and weight about 175 lbs. I heard these sandwiches are good source of protein.
Its okay. Better to switch to unsalted crunchy organic almond butter. Also, use low sugar jelly (or preserves) on whole grain bread. This way you get a bit more protein and a LOT less sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
As a late snack I've been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I'm trying to build lean muscle. I'm 5'10 and weight about 175 lbs. I heard these sandwiches are good source of protein.
Make sure the peanut butter is natural and has no added fat of another type, no sugar or salt. I'd leave off the jelly and use only whole-wheat bread. But fresh-ground almond butter, from a bulk food store is nutritionally better, although more expensive. It has more omega-3 fats, while peanuts contain more omega-6, which are less desirable for health.

But regardless of how well you eat, you won't gain muscle, without hard exercise. I used to think I wanted to have bigger muscles and weigh more. It took me many years to trim myself down, to a weight that is not only healthier, but better for athletics. Quality over quantity, is the way to go.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:08 PM

148 posts, read 103,148 times
I love them and see no reason they can't be a staple food. A couple PBJs ad a couple large glasses of milk is solid. Throw in a piece of fruit and you have the perfect meal without having to cook anything.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Sounds like tons of sugar and that late night? Hmmm. Be easy on the jelly

Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
If you are concerned more about protein - a smoothie with pb2 might be a better choice. I like pb2 blended with half a banana, protein powder, unsweetened cocoa and your choice of milk. That would be jam packed with protein.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:31 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you are concerned more about protein - a smoothie with pb2 might be a better choice. I like pb2 blended with half a banana, protein powder, unsweetened cocoa and your choice of milk. That would be jam packed with protein.
Protein powder is exposed to heat and oxygen during processing and then time goes by, before it's used by its customers. The amino acids become degraded to the point of being useless, except for conversion to carbohydrates. Fresh foods that have minimal processing are the best sources for protein. Of course, there's a lot of money to be made by selling the supplements, so there's always denial of this by those who profit.

The proteins in cold meats and sausages are also degraded by processing and by the additives used and provide little nutritional value, except for fat and carbohydrates.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:18 AM

465 posts, read 418,229 times
U can eat anything u want, just stay under the recommended daily calorie intake

Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:

I love peanut butter and jelly. Yes the protein is good. But if I wanted to make it healthy I would go with a natural peanut butter, low sugar jelly(the jelly is the worst part for you) or even no jelly, and a healthy nutrition packed bread.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Yes.

They're not a great source of protein. Peanut butter is. The white bread and jelly is not. If you need the calories, nothing wrong with that. If you don't, skip the white bread and jelly and have a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter. Regular peanut butter has enough sugar in it by itself you don't really need more, unless you have a specific reason it.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:42 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
I've recently been on a PB&J kick as well. They are great for me pre workout because I find I need carbs more than protein to get my energy up. Use whole grain bread and try honey instead of jelly. Someone up thread mentioned them being mostly carbs and fats- for some reason that seems to be what gets me moving. The added plus is it can sit assembled at room temperature all day.

If I don't have one, I've also taken to ordering the sprouted bagel flat at Panera and asking for peanut butter in place of cream cheese. They leave honey out by the hot coffees. So that can give me about 400 calories with somewhere around 16g of protein and a ton of carbs and adequate amount of fiber. Its also a lot healthier than their sweetened baked goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness