Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've been around these fitness models quite a bit and, sadly, many don't work with nutritionists to know what they should truly be eating. Also, many fitness models aren't what I would consider a professional athlete. Like this lady, many are simply regular people with jobs who do this on their spare time. I'm unsure if her condition was something that could have been prevented anyway. I mean, symptoms of sluggishness and a headache? I'm certain if I was feeling the same way I wouldn't get checked out, I'd probably just rest unless it worsened.
I get a report on my protein level in my urine annually.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I get a report on my protein level in my urine annually.
Do yo do fitness shows?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Do yo do fitness shows?
Nope. It's just a standard test.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:40 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yes. I should have known that a snowflake would have been offended.
I'm not offended at all it's more of a direct outline of character or your part

Old 08-16-2017, 12:41 PM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nope. It's just a standard test.
I think for the average gym-rat or even these amateur fitness competitors this wouldn't be something they'd normally test for. That's not part of an annual physical either and a routine blood draw wouldn't have found this. I think this was truly a freak, one out of 100,000 type condition that she had and not newsworthy enough to warrant such a misleading headline.

If this was more common, certainly....publish it with bold letters and red font with exclamation points everywhere.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I think for the average gym-rat or even these amateur fitness competitors this wouldn't be something they'd normally test for. That's not part of an annual physical either and a routine blood draw wouldn't have found this. I think this was truly a freak, one out of 100,000 type condition that she had and not newsworthy enough to warrant such a misleading headline.

If this was more common, certainly....publish it with bold letters and red font with exclamation points everywhere.

Agree that is was freak occurrence with misleading headline.

I probably get that test because of other medical conditions I have, I thought it was normal for physicals.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
I knew it was only a matter of time before this was posted here, complete with a click-bait worthy (but inaccurate) title to inflame the masses. Typical.

As mentioned, this woman didn't "OD" on protein. She had a very rare medical condition that prevented her body from properly processing ingested protein, failed to get herself checked out after the symptoms became apparent, and tragically she lost her life because of it. This is all very sad but as we've seen from the reporting done on this incident, modern media is more concerned with tugging at the proverbial heart strings rather than accurate reporting.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Which proves my point, many people get plenty of protein enough in their diet and don't need protein supplements. I think some are under the impression that more is better. It's a sham the supplement industry thrives on.

It's one thing to use a protein shake to replace a meal, another to drink four protein shakes a day in addition to regular meals. Some of these bodybuilders can get away with it due to their drug use.

Athletes and Exercise Enthusiasts Probably Need Less Protein Than You Think | HuffPost
Let's ignore the fact that high protein intakes have repeatedly been proven safe (absent preexisting conditions like the one being discussed here) and just point out the fact that the author of the link you shared is using shaky at best science.

Quote:
You also have to consider the limitations of the research. Just because a certain amount of protein can prevent negative nitrogen balance does not mean this is an accurate reflection of muscle preservation (let alone an indicator of optimal intake for gain). N-bal is notorious for overestimating muscle protein status. There's even research showing positive N-balance concurrent with LBM loss. Lol, there's research showing a prevention of negative N-balance during endstage starvation as a survival defense response.
Protein recommendations by Alan Aragon. - Page 2 - BodyRecomposition Support Forums

Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times
Quote:
I'm sure someone died today drinking too much water as well. We should limit our water intake too because of this one person.
No. But we should definitely enact more regulations on the water industry....

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness