Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 AM

120 posts, read 115,237 times

Advertisements

I live in a place with 4 seasons (central/south Virginia). We get cold weather in fall/winter but not Canada cold. To stay healthy I run daily, I do yoga, I do calisthenics (pushups, various strength exercises etc.).

I can run outside my own home, the rest I do in the comfort of my own home. All of it is free, I do not get exposed to sick and dirty people at the gym, so on and so on.

What the above requires is discipline but above all - working within your own body and life rhythm.

I get up in the morning and I do my yoga/strength/stretching. Then I run.

A lot of people I know can barely get out of bed and take time to wake up. By the time they are up, they need to go to work etc. Then they eat a bunch of junk, they got acid coming up their esophagus, they are tardy from all the crap sugar and junk they (over)ate at lunch. They finish work and the last thing on their minds is hitting the gym.

Exercise is a lot about habit/proper planning as much as anything else. For example, I like to eat a nice lunch and have a cup of coffee afterwards - it is very unlikely I will be up to exercising after that. But, that's just me - lots of people are total opposites

The money I save on the monthly gym membership I use to treat myself to a cup of coffee somewhere nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:14 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,492,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I have recently been thinking of canning the gym routine for an at home workout situation.
The whole routine of driving to and parking and changing and showing and changing is starting to really negate all that I find beneficial. My actual workout itself is enjoyable with my Kindle reading for a 4-5 mile run. Then I usually do a kettlebell session and some light weights.
For $55 a month I'm starting to think this may not be worth the hassle. Maybe i should just get a set of kettlebells and figure out my cardio situation at home.
Has anyone had success with this, or am I setting myself up for failure?
I cancelled mine because it was not working out. I began losing weight through alternate means.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:39 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,311,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWantsWhatItWants View Post
I live in a place with 4 seasons (central/south Virginia). We get cold weather in fall/winter but not Canada cold. To stay healthy I run daily, I do yoga, I do calisthenics (pushups, various strength exercises etc.).

I get up in the morning and I do my yoga/strength/stretching. Then I run.

The money I save on the monthly gym membership I use to treat myself to a cup of coffee somewhere nice.
IDK, i got yanked into a few yoga sessions. Not sure I classify it as a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I cancelled mine because it was not working out. I began losing weight through alternate means.
If your goal was simply to lose weight, you should've just went on a diet to begin with. You can run all day, but if you eat bad, you will look like ass.

OP, home workouts are supposed to be like Social Security payments....your backup but not your primary means of getting things done. There are way to many distractions at home and not nearly enough equipment unless you're like Dwayne Johnson and can finance a full gym in a wing of your home. I think the 55 bucks you pay id good, b/c to be honest, the super cheap gym attracts more of a hooligan crowd and annoying, younger broke people in general.

Not to mention, I truly believe you need to be in the environment. I see quite a few celebrities in my gym and I occasionally ask why not do private workouts at home or join a more exclusive gym. The common answer is they like the equipment options and the camaraderie of the gym. Of course these are all males.
Also, you probably can change when you get home when your done. That shower afterwards in the gym seems optional.

WIth that said, if some of you have scenarios where a gym is super far, parking by your home is miserable at night and you can't find the motivation to go first thing in the morning, then yeah, maybe the gym life isn't for you

Old 11-25-2017, 12:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,501,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
IDK, i got yanked into a few yoga sessions. Not sure I classify it as a workout.

In conjunction w/ running or other calisthenics, it is a pretty good fitness activity for core strength, balance, leg strength, flexibility. I started it about a month ago and think I'm more physically fit including 2-3 sessions in my week.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:11 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,127,267 times
I couldn't quit the gym, mainly because what I do requires equipment. I don't want to do the work required to set up a home gym like buying equipment and figuring out the appropriate spacing necessary. I like being around likeminded people serious about fitness because I can learn from them and they from me. Those who feel the need to quit the gym are those who go infrequently. Of course you're going to quit the gym if you go 2x a week, month, year, etc. Working out at home is lazy to me.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:31 PM

212 posts, read 162,671 times
Personally I have trouble staying motivated when working out alone. Any ideas or tips how others have overcome this?

Old 11-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I have met many serious yogis whose core strength was comparable or better than people who have been lifting weights. It is a serious workout on many levels - stretching, core, stability, balance, so on and so on. I spend an hour doing yoga and I come out drenched in sweat. The benefits of yoga extend much past just the physical strength. In my humble opinion, a good measurement of vitality is how mobile/stretchable you are - yoga definitely helps you here. Most people who do serious exercise usually end up with short muscles and tight tendons - this often leads to injury. You have to cover all aspects of training your body

Old 11-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
Personally I have trouble staying motivated when working out alone. Any ideas or tips how others have overcome this?
You can go running/biking/whatever with a buddy. It is still free

Old 11-25-2017, 06:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,501,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
A good Pre workout drink (like Jym or Kaged), loud energizing music and mirrors.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:43 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,656,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I have recently been thinking of canning the gym routine for an at home workout situation.
The whole routine of driving to and parking and changing and showing and changing is starting to really negate all that I find beneficial. My actual workout itself is enjoyable with my Kindle reading for a 4-5 mile run. Then I usually do a kettlebell session and some light weights.
For $55 a month I'm starting to think this may not be worth the hassle. Maybe i should just get a set of kettlebells and figure out my cardio situation at home.
Has anyone had success with this, or am I setting myself up for failure?
Husband and I were members of the local YMCA. $66 a month. Parking was a hassle, traffic, changing, etc. We now just walk along the local trail in good weather. I don't miss the gym at all.

And after adhering to a ketogenic diet, I find I don't have to kill myself to lose weight. Can't outrun a diet high in carbs and sugars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness