Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times

Advertisements

Apparently not necessarily. This is mostly about kids, but I'm sure it applies to many adults.

Activity Trackers Don’t Always Work the Way We Want Them To
By Gretchen Reynolds

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/w...otivation.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snacks View Post
that was in 1704. Guess i should throw out my useless treadmill and heart rate monitor then.

a brief history of kettlebell training - kettlebell training in nottingham
ymmv.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 AM

569 posts, read 440,553 times
I have a TomTom multisport GPS Watch. I can use it to track my workouts (running/biking/swimming/freestyle) and I really enjoy it. I like to see how I am or am not improving since I typically run and bike the same courses. I only wear it when I am working out and it isn't one of the 24 hour type activity trackers. Another thing I like is that I often run/bike trails so it is hard to judge distance and my watch does that pretty accurately. Then it uploads automatically into MapMyFitness so I have a record of my workouts which I find to be motivating.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
I don't think they really give you much of a better workout (though they may help a little bit here and there)... but they probably do help to motivate people. Break your "high score" kind of things. You can see your progress in the first couple weeks which may be the positive reinforcement some people need to keep going when their bodies aren't changing overnight.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
You're asking two different questions. Do you know what to know if its helping us, or if its necessary?
Only you would nit pick a post like this.

And to the other poster who said this is the 3rd thread about this subject you are probably right. But my point was because there are other posts about these gadgets I wanted to know from the people who are devoted to exercise if these are useful or not. Not what brand, or what certain ones provide.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Only you would nit pick a post like this.
Is it required for you to have a car to travel across the state? No, but it sure as hell helps, doesn't it?

Still think that is nitpicking?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I find it to be informative for me. I only have a step/sleep/basic activity tracker.

I find it helpful to see how many steps I am taking on a daily basis. I really like to know how much I am sleeping (and hopefully I can eventually correlate it to other patterns in my health).

I do not have a HR monitoring device, but I think if I were to train really seriously for something, I could see how it would be informative if I really wanted to measure and improve my performance.

But I think the best thing is that mine chirps if I have been sitting too long, and it is a good reminder to get up and walk around a bit at work. I don't use it to estimate calories burned or even track my workouts.

They can nudge you if you want them to, and I think it is the real use. Seeing a tracker on your arm, doing a challenge on who gets the most steps with friends - all of this are little encouragements to get you to be more active.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:20 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
I think the advent of cheap and accurate gadgets to monitor health-parameters (blood sugar, pulse, etc) can be very helpful. But the workout-gadgets, beyond a stopwatch, I have never had any real use for them.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Is it required for you to have a car to travel across the state? No, but it sure as hell helps, doesn't it?

Still think that is nitpicking?
Yes.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM

170 posts, read 316,579 times
I'm a runner for the last 6 years I logged possibly over 4,000+ miles.

I spent this in running watches

Garmin Forerunner 110 - $ 80 (refurbished) then band broke. VERY VERY basic watch
Garmin Forerunner 220 - $120 (refurbished) - Band is breaking but I'm still using it.

You don't need expensive gadgets, use what you only need. Will a watch with altitude help? Yes! Do I need to spend $300+ for it? Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness