Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

I used to use an elliptical all of the time at the gym because my knees and ankles always hurt when I was on the treadmill. I found out that if I put the treadmill at a slight incline that the pain is gone and I can workout a lot longer. I would recommend using the treadmill because it is much more diverse and you can do a lot more with it. I hope this helps you in your decision making!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
When I first started exercising I starting walking on a treadmill....it took me at least 6 weeks to go at least a half hour on an elliptical but the treadmill I was able to stay on right away without a struggle (gradually adding in inclines and different speeds etc. My friend who is out of shape has started on an elliptical and can’t last 5 minutes as of yet. I told her to start on the treadmill. Walk 3.0 mph for a half hour for a few weeks and then start pushing it to 3.5 and inclines etc....then add in the elliptical. I think starting on an elliptical when you haven’t exercised in many years is too hard and could be discouraging? Any input?
I know you want to add in strength training also.
A person will do whatever they find most pleasant. So it depends on what your friend enjoys more. If she enjoys it more, she is much more likely to actually do it more frequently.

It also depends on why your friend is exercising. I recommend walking as the #1 way to get healthier. You don't have to walk far or fast. It's the frequency that counts. There really is something to that daily step count. So if she wants to improve her health, and she enjoys the treadmill, that's the answer. If OTOH she wants to lose weight, I have not found that walking has much, if any, effect on weight loss. For me, anyway.

In my case, if the elliptical is too hard, I would end up not doing it often and ultimately dropping it. Pleasure is a big motivating factor with exercise, for me. I would also prefer to walk outside than on a treadmill. I could take my dog with me, and it would be more pleasurable...unexpected sights every time, seeing other dogs and people, looking at the sky and trees as I pass, feeling the breeze.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Slightly off-topic, but anyone else has a problem that ellipticals have unnaturally small step-sizes making the movement really tip-toe awkward? (I'm 6'4 with a slight bit over over-representation from the legs when it comes to my height)
Try a vertical climber. You do your own natural step size. It's more of a workout too!

Old 10-07-2018, 01:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
You have to start with what is comfortable and not too miserable for YOU! We all walk and that's where I would tell almost anyone to start. Get in a bit better condition and move on and try other things. If you do too much too fast, you will hurt yourself or hate it too much to keep on. For MOST people the temptation to sabotage themselves is hard to defeat.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I prefer the elliptical. I also prefer walking outside rather than using a treadmill since it requires more than just lifting your foot and putting it down...you actually use your whole body to propel yourself forward and keep your balance while doing so. Plus fresh air is good for me.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Careful, I got planters fascitis years ago, from walking on a treadmill, still flares up today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness