Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM

189 posts, read 172,448 times

Advertisements

When I first started exercising I starting walking on a treadmill....it took me at least 6 weeks to go at least a half hour on an elliptical but the treadmill I was able to stay on right away without a struggle (gradually adding in inclines and different speeds etc. My friend who is out of shape has started on an elliptical and can’t last 5 minutes as of yet. I told her to start on the treadmill. Walk 3.0 mph for a half hour for a few weeks and then start pushing it to 3.5 and inclines etc....then add in the elliptical. I think starting on an elliptical when you haven’t exercised in many years is too hard and could be discouraging? Any input?
I know you want to add in strength training also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 10,240 times
Have you tried bike?

Old 12-29-2017, 02:52 PM

189 posts, read 172,448 times
Yes I feel I burn more calories on an elliptical or treadmill.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I use both, and both are great for cal burning, but I find the elliptical to be really effective, especially if you use the poles and adjust the crossramp/resistence. It's also great if you have knee issues as the fluid motion is better. I use two different types of machines (elliptical plus treadmill or stairclimber) during each cardio session to change things up and not get bored.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Seems like the elliptical is more intensive. But a newbie to exercise would be best to start off w/ the least intensive and work his way up in intensity, imo. Don't over-tax the body early - more likely to quit exercising, imo.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,866,365 times
If you are walking on the treadmill it is okay but when you start running then the elliptical is lower impact and easier on the joints.
I have a gym membership and alternate my machines to decrease risk of injury and give myself some variation, so I do both of these plus the stairmaster and the spin class.
If you really have not worked out for a while, walking is something you do anyway, so maybe the treadmill is easier.
I remember when I wanted to get my brother on the elliptical, he was afraid he is going to fall, now he has learned to use it and likes it.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:57 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
The ellipitical is one of my favorite machines to use, and yes, while it is easier on my joints than running, I do find it can be quite challenging if you never used one before particularly on the higher settings.

There are many resources for beginner's on using elliptical machines, and I would refer to those instead of trying to do other things. Start small and work up.

Why can't I last 5 minutes on an elliptical!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/ma/Ellipt...?/6/1/22024815

Old 12-31-2017, 07:18 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
The elliptical is akin to the stairclimber. Both can get beginners winded pretty quickly. Remember how people used to (and still do) hug the handrails of a stairmaster? Start slowly. What I did was sets of 10 minutes. You don't have to do things all at once. As you gain more stamina (your body will tell you), then you extend the time. Your friend should set some goals. Try and do 10 minutes, at a moderate incline/pace. Then increase the time when things seem easier. If he wants to get an effective workout, you can't let things get easy. Doesn't mean you should be dying either. It's like a fine line...you need to challenge yourself but if you are utterly exhausted then you're not going to go the distance.

I've found stairclimbers/ellipticals to be really good for me. I never lean on the console, or prop myself up using the rails. When you use the machines as intended and use proper form EVEN IF YOU CAN'T KEEP UP (lower the level!), you get the benefits.

ETA - my first cardio machine was the elliptical.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,604 times
I started off on a treadmill and haven't really looked back. But that was a good few years back, and I remember those first few days and weeks were quite tough especially when applying the inclines and mixing intense running with brisk walking speeds in one 40 minute session.

But I found it much easier to get into the fitness zone compared to an elliptical. And to be fair, any intense exercise is better than none at all, even the relatively easier treadmill will be sufficient to give your body a good work out.

i still use a treadmill at home, but only if its too cold/wet to go out for my daily 10-15 mile run; ellipticals have their own benefits but I still rarely bother with them

Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,525 times
Slightly off-topic, but anyone else has a problem that ellipticals have unnaturally small step-sizes making the movement really tip-toe awkward? (I'm 6'4 with a slight bit over over-representation from the legs when it comes to my height)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness