Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM

946 posts, read 1,137,562 times

Advertisements

I've done the whole gamut of "healthy" snacks like nuts, fruits, veggies with hummus and other goodies. I'm trying to find new dishes or things to snack before lunch and after dinner.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Eat bigger meals? Eat meals with more fats and proteins?

I don't "snack". I eat 3 meals a day and don't get hungry between them. I also don't eat much in the way of breads/grains/pasta/processed carbs because those DO leave me hungry. But easily the biggest difference was when I made breakfast my biggest meal of the day. I've no issues going from 6:30 till noon~1 when I eat a good breakfast (few slices of bacon, 4~5 eggs, half an avocado, maybe half an english muffin, fruit of some sort or another), and if I wait till 2pm to eat I won't be hungry/eat the rest of the day.

Back to the point, instead of looking for snack foods, why not evaluate why you're hungry and fix the root problem?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Eat bigger meals? Eat meals with more fats and proteins?

I don't "snack". I eat 3 meals a day and don't get hungry between them. I also don't eat much in the way of breads/grains/pasta/processed carbs because those DO leave me hungry. But easily the biggest difference was when I made breakfast my biggest meal of the day. I've no issues going from 6:30 till noon~1 when I eat a good breakfast (few slices of bacon, 4~5 eggs, half an avocado, maybe half an english muffin, fruit of some sort or another), and if I wait till 2pm to eat I won't be hungry/eat the rest of the day.

Back to the point, instead of looking for snack foods, why not evaluate why you're hungry and fix the root problem?
That's a good point. I do eat a standard breakfast like this morning English muffins with light cream cheese, plus 2 scrambled egg and some Blackberries. Wasn't really hungry at 11am but felt like eating.

My snacking may be habitual since I do eat plenty for my meals. But I don't eat a meal till I'm "stuffed" just slightly full that is why I still have the need to snack.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:44 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
What do you snack on and actually get full
Snacking is one of the many causes for obesity and failure in weight loss. If you snack to get "full" then you are absolutely bound to fail in your weight loss/fitness plan.

I very very rarely snack on anything. If I do, its usually during a bulk (i.e., gain weight/muscle) and is always something like:

Raw organic almond butter on whole grain bread (one slice)
Cottage cheese with almond slivers
Air popped pop corn with garlic powder and cayenne pepper

Snacking to "get full" is just asking for bad things. That is just as bad as "idle snacking" which is when you snack while doing somethign else like watching tv, surfing the net, perusing online message boards, etc. Never snack to get "full".

Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Snacking is one of the many causes for obesity and failure in weight loss. If you snack to get "full" then you are absolutely bound to fail in your weight loss/fitness plan.

I very very rarely snack on anything. If I do, its usually during a bulk (i.e., gain weight/muscle) and is always something like:

Raw organic almond butter on whole grain bread (one slice)
Cottage cheese with almond slivers
Air popped pop corn with garlic powder and cayenne pepper

Snacking to "get full" is just asking for bad things. That is just as bad as "idle snacking" which is when you snack while doing somethign else like watching tv, surfing the net, perusing online message boards, etc. Never snack to get "full".
Ok how about snacking to reduce hungry feeling and keep energy level up? That's ok?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM

404 posts, read 381,324 times
I follow Trim Healthy Mama which encourages eating every 3-4 hours (which includes snacks.) One of my favorite snacks is 2 light Rye Wasa Crackers with a triangle of light laughing cow cheese and some Polanar jam - and a clementine on the side. Other than that, I do eat (probably too many) nuts, hard boiled eggs, or turkey/spinach/tomato/mayo wrap on a low carb lavash or pita. A good amount of protein will help you feel fuller longer.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I don’t snack, but if I’m dieting, a small quantity of protein is the way to go. Nuts, cheese, hard boiled egg, a piece of turkey or some tuna.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:37 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
I don't like eating a lot at once so I tend to snack a lot. Some of the healthier things I snack on: avocado, baked sweet potato, yogurt, cottage cheese (i like to mix it with salsa), chopped up fruits (pre-chopping is key for me), cooked carrots with some ginger and basil seasoning, any kind of squash really cooked in the oven with a bit of butter, hard boiled eggs (love them with spicy mustard, especially love them when they're fresh from the chicken), corn kernels mixed with salsa, grilled lean meats, light microwave popcorn

Old 01-12-2018, 01:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
That's a good point. I do eat a standard breakfast like this morning English muffins with light cream cheese, plus 2 scrambled egg and some Blackberries. Wasn't really hungry at 11am but felt like eating.

My snacking may be habitual since I do eat plenty for my meals. But I don't eat a meal till I'm "stuffed" just slightly full that is why I still have the need to snack.
This is the problem. You weren't actually hungry but "you felt like eating". You need to get out of that mindset. If you are not truly hungry, try not to eat. During the workweek, I eat probably 6 times per day, snacks included. I time food intake to be about every 2-3 hours. After doing this consistently, my body has adapted to this plan and I don't really get hungry in between. If I do get truly hungry, I try to stick to things like a 1/2 serving of nuts like almonds (80 cals) or air popped popcorn, which has volume.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
Quote:

That breakfast is not sufficient to keep you feeling full. You could use some more healthy fat. How about avocado on toast instead of English muffins with light cream cheese. Or peanut butter on that english muffin. Or add a greek full fat yogurt and dump the english muffin.

Another option is have a snack of a piece of cheese + a few nuts at 11am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness