Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 AM

26,218 posts, read 21,728,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Do people realize that Pheidippides died at the end of the marathon?

You can run a marathon, but at a possible significant biological cost depending on the intensity at which you run it at and certain other individual biological variables. If you plan on being competitive, unless you are a biological anomaly, you will spend a considerable duration in glycolysis, which produces substrates that accumulate and cause cellular damage.

If you run a marathon without exceeding your anaerobic threshold, I'm not sure if it would be harmful, so long as you have the strength endurance, the flexibility and mobility, and you're at a healthy weight, but I don't think it would necessarily be positive either, but I haven't read a study on that. It could very well prove to have a negligible effect because people are capable of running such great distances, although that doesn't necessarily mean that it is healthy to do so.

I do agree that running a marathon is a great physical accomplishment though and requires a great deal of heart, so I understand why people do it.
I’m curious you keep popping up with nothing more than negativity really. Do you run? Have you run a marathon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 09:18 AM

26,218 posts, read 21,728,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm retired and live in a retirement community with a lot of people with knee issues/complaints - many tell me that they ran marathons. I never could understand why they'd do that to themselves. It seems like added wt is only adding more trauma to the hips, knees. Wouldn't it be better to lose the weight another way, perhaps cycling (less trauma), swimming, or spinning, resistance training/lifting (along w/ diet changes)?
You live in a retirement community and people have knee problems? I’m shocked. I’m sure the knee problems aren’t just among folks who completed a marathon sometime in their lives or at least the people I know that’s certainly the case.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,587,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The next time someone tells you they ran marathons, ask them how far that is.
I'm not obnoxious to people that way.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:38 PM

30,443 posts, read 52,125,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Your point was ... here's another excuse as to why it's not their fault they are fat.

I got it. You just didn't like my response which was ... be an adult. If you know you gain weight from eating certain foods ... don't eat them. Be an ADULT.

Why is it so difficult to get people to be adults these days?
No, you still missed my point. I'm not even talking about fat people, necessarily - I'm saying that genetics play a role in our natural size/shape, whether you're thin, average, fat, or whatever. We aren't all built the same, nor do we all have the same metabolic rates, muscle tone, etc. That's why BMI charts are often inaccurate, and also why some folks can eat whatever they want without gaining a pound. So THAT is when genetics come into play, and anyone who denies they have any role is ignorant. This isn't just my opinion, it's a medical fact.

I never said anything about not wanting to "be an adult," or even that anyone is incapable of losing weight. I am merely explaining why it's HARDER for some people to maintain a healthy weight, while others remain thin no matter what their lifestyle is like. I unfortunately am of the former category, so believe me, I know all about having to control myself DAILY... meanwhile one of my friends literally weighs ~80lbs, looks severely underweight, and yet cannot gain weight no matter how much she eats! So that's what I mean about "genetics playing a role." Do you get my point now?

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-04-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 AM

5,227 posts, read 3,166,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know all about having to control myself DAILY... meanwhile one of my friends literally weighs ~80lbs, looks severely underweight, and yet cannot gain weight no matter how much she eats! So that's what I mean about "genetics playing a role." Do you get my point now?
Share a healthy lunch regularly with your 80-pound friend -- two birds, one stone...

Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,657,770 times
Did she literally ROLL through the competition? Was it her or an albino rhino?

In all seriousness though, GOOD for her. I can't even talk considering that I am much better shape and never ran a marathon. At least she done it, I'll have to take notes.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:18 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,611,232 times
~~ Truth!...
Attached Thumbnails
288-pound woman becomes heaviest to run a marathon and aims for Ironman: 'It's about visibility'-11046827_542286989246079_659236297819084702_n.jpg   288-pound woman becomes heaviest to run a marathon and aims for Ironman: 'It's about visibility'-11846638_610544422420335_543166459608843277_n.jpg  

Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
~~ Truth!...
Maybe it's just hormones right now but your picture resonated with me and I found it very inspiring. I want to actually frame that.

Almost two years ago, I was that overweight woman in the picture. I had the big, protruding tummy, cellulite covered legs, side rolls, chunky arms. I could barely walk a mile, forget about running one. Couldn't do a plank. Lift anything more than 8 lbs.

But it's true. Everyone Starts Somewhere.

I am so happy that the people at my gym and in my life didn't laugh me out of town and supported me along the way.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,611,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Maybe it's just hormones right now but your picture resonated with me and I found it very inspiring. I want to actually frame that.

Almost two years ago, I was that overweight woman in the picture. I had the big, protruding tummy, cellulite covered legs, side rolls, chunky arms. I could barely walk a mile, forget about running one. Couldn't do a plank. Lift anything more than 8 lbs.

But it's true. Everyone Starts Somewhere.

I am so happy that the people at my gym and in my life didn't laugh me out of town and supported me along the way.
Same here riaelise~~~

I was one to never have had a weight issue until I hit per-menopause in my late 40's and for the next two years I gained weight... I'll be honest I was going through some things that caused me to turn to food for comfort and stuff I didn't normally ever consume junk, processed, basically I stopped eating organics and I stopped working out! I ended up gaining 60 pounds and this made me feel more awful about myself it became a vicious cycle repeating itself! I realized I needed to stop covering up my pain through food and deal with the truths my mind didn't want to accept (love ones become sick, my dad & husband and love ones die, my sister!)... and with my son upcoming wedding that gave me incentive. I had a year to get my body back into shape but more so my soul/mind was healing or better yet accepting the grief and that allowed me come back! ... Well I did it!~~ I went back to eating an all organics diet and took up passions once again, running and pounds begin to melt off and I loss all the weight was back into a size 4 petite in time for my son & daughter in law wedding! I'm going on 9 years now of keeping the weight off and I feel healthy & have all my parts still and take no medications and have added lightweights workouts along with my running. I'm 55, happily married of 35 years and a mother to three and a frist time granny as well~ Yes we all have/had a starting point and I 'm thankful I had my battle with weight even if it wasn't long lived, because I can understand the frustration and pain that accompany it and self disappointment when you turn to food etc... So yes I rather be kind and encourage than judge or say one is weak, etc... Because you don't know the battles one might be fighting ! Peace Out~~ ..

Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,277,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Did she literally ROLL through the competition? Was it her or an albino rhino?

In all seriousness though, GOOD for her. I can't even talk considering that I am much better shape and never ran a marathon. At least she done it, I'll have to take notes.
Lital, go back and read my post. She DIDN'T run the marathon. She had a 2.6 mph pace. My 82 year old grandmother walks faster than that. She wouldn't even come within two hours of winning in the 90-94 age bracket.

She is making a mockery of the whole thing and that is what really upsets me. She's looking for publicity and her 15 minutes of fame. It actually upsets me that she made marathon officials sit around and wait for HOURS for her to finish.

That being said, at her weight, actually running or even jogging the whole way would likely cause her to break several bones. They just can't handle the constant repetitions of massive weight pounding down on them. Which is why she has no business participating in a marathon in the first place. It's a marathon, not a walkathon. Or a sit-around-a-bit-and-then-walk-athon.

But for her to have the nerve to flaunt herself as a posterchild of "fat but fit" is just nauseating. You can be overweight and still be in decent shape, if you do it the right way. But this isn't it, and it sends a really dangerous message to people. If she really took this seriously, she'd take a hard look at adjusting her diet and started small with a 5k with a meaningful effort. And as she added on the mileage, she'd lose weight. But she's trying to say "look I'm 300 pounds and I run marathons!" No. She doesn't. She walks and sits through marathons, and makes other people sit around waiting for her. Absolutely appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness