Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Myfitness app results today: 1,944 . It say this is 744 more calories than my goal. It also said that if I continue to eat like I did roday, in five weeks I'd weigh x pounds.

This is the exact amount I currently weigh. I'm actually eating the amount of food (consuming calories) that maintain my weight not lose any. That's the problem.
Right. So you need to eat less, and less of the problem foods, if you want to lose.

Wait ... Did you put in a goal of 1,200 calories?? That's the bare minimum for most adults, and probably too low for people who work out strenuously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 09:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,584,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
The way I did it was to run to work instead of driving.
I stopped running a few months ago after consistent running gave me large, well-developed muscles in my calves, thighs, butt, and hips. I lost weight in other areas but the muscle gains made up for it. My weight remained the same, which I didn't like. I'm walking for exercise because it won't bulk me up. It takes longer for me to burn off pounds through walking though than running.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The typical American diet is filled with sugar, and snacking. I'm in my 40s, a guy, and guys usually have weight issues in their stomach areas before anywhere else.
I like OJ too but because it's so sweet, I always dilute it with water. That just reminded me that I should go back to my fav citrus fruit, ruby red grapefruit. I love the juice and fruit plus eating/drinking it causes our bodies to burn fat. I forgot about that. I think the white grapefruit juice burns even more fat than the ruby red.

I had some cellulite, that seemed to have come out of nowhere, but it disappeared a few months ago due to my consistent running routine.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You need to do resistance (ie weight) training. Not with machines but free weights. Look into various kinds of core workouts - there are leg lifts etc that really work your core.

Look at the difference between a sprinter and a long distance runner. Most folks running long distances doing just cardio are frail looking and "skinny fat".

Don't worry you won't look like Arnold.

Leg lifts sounds interesting. I'll check into doing those.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Have you ever done yoga? It’s fantastic for strength, flexibility and the mind. Are you just doing cardio? You need to do strength and build muscle. Stop worrying about getting bigger thigh, you’d have to start working out insanely to make this happen.

See if there is an Orange Theory Fitness in your area. Great workout all around.

No insane workouts, just running 2 miles 3x weekly for months on end and I, without trying to at all, developed bigger well-defined thighs, rounded hips, and a bigger bubble / onion. I'd slay if I were featured in a hiphop video. Since that wasn't my goal, I've cut back on running.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No, there are no chain fiitness centers where I live. My job has a workout facility. That's what I use.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
C'mon, that is just wrong. Whole grains like faro, quinoa, oats, etc... are a great source of fiber and nutrients. They are not the devil, and bananas are a great food. Filling and full of potassium.
Exactly. I love and eat everything you've mentioned except faro.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Right. So you need to eat less, and less of the problem foods, if you want to lose.

Wait ... Did you put in a goal of 1,200 calories?? That's the bare minimum for most adults, and probably too low for people who work out strenuously.
No. I didn't put that in. The app came up with that on it's own. I did put in I'd like to lose 10 lbs (to lose belly / middle fat and lower BMI.). The app gave me the calorie goal.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,499,397 times
You’re lucky bc I don’t gain any muscle whatsoever from cardio. I actively lift and haven’t bulked any. If anything my muscles aren’t bigger, they’re just more prominent. I wouldn’t worry about muscle gains if I were you. To gain you’d have to have a certain diet and exercise plan and running isn’t it. Cut your calories to 1500 and add one more day of exercise. At forty something you’ll have to eat less that’s a fact of life. And previous posters are right if that’s where the fat falls that’s where it falls. Buy pants that flatter your figure. I have a BMI in the 21-22 range and certain types of pants grasp mercilessly into your sides giving the appearance of a muffin top.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,396,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That reminds me, yesterday while at the dentist office reading magazines, I also read where our targeted calories should be 1,500 a day. It's no longer 2,000 which for the longest was recommended by the US department of Health and Human Services.

I know in the past my problem was that I love sauces and tended to douse the food that I eat in at least one of these (and still love it but more aware not to go crazy with it): ketchup, mayo, mustard, salad dressings (Ranch), tartar sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce, french onion dip, butter (real or Country Crock), or syrup. It's hard to keep track of the calories of sauces because I don't measure it, I just pour it on the plate or bowl next to the food servings. Maybe it's the fat from the sauces that have set up shop around my middle and it's as if my body refuses to burn this stored fat for energy.

I've just downloaded the app and signed up. Thanks for recommending it.
2,000 is way too much, especially for women, given that we are much more sedentary these days.

Mustard has practically no calories - but "creamy" condiments and dressings add a lot. Either switch out no fat and low sugar alternatives or stick your fork in a bit of dressing and THEN take a bite of salad to minimize the quantity while maximizing the flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness