Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 10:28 PM

265 posts, read 239,359 times

Advertisements

So I been trying to diet for the last month. I been working out at least 4 times a week. What happens if eat whatever I want without a healthy diet? Just work out at least 4 days a week for one hour? Diet has been so hard for me, its like my body craves junk food, carbs, and soda. It's not until I have some of that, that my body relaxes. I figured ill still gain weight if I have more calories in, than what I burn, but my question is what does this do to my body? Can I be fit and overweight? Not sure if that makes sense, I just see myself getting stronger, and faster in the track, with a bad diet. But the pounds are not dropping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,000 times
Weight is generally lost in the kitchen, muscles are built at the gym. If you want to drop pounds, you do need a healthier diet. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy food.

There are a lot of diet options out there -- the key is to not think of it as 'a diet', but your lifestyle. Make changes slowly. What would be the easiest thing for you to reduce and slowly eliminate from your diet? Work on that and once you master it, move on to the next thing. My body craves carbs, too. If I go without them, my body rebels and I end up eating and entire box of crackers. I was able to slowly go from a fairly high carb diet to a lower (but not low) carb diet over several months through research and switching out items for lower carb options. That's what worked for me -- one at a time, and slowly.

Find what works for you. And keep exercising -- it's so good for you!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Americans Are Exercising More, But Obesity Is Still On The Rise: CDC

Old 09-02-2018, 09:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
If you eat garbage no amount of working out is going to help you.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I believe it’s 80% of weight loss is your diet. I worked out five days a week doing high intensity workouts for an hour, plus trained for a marathon. Not until I cut out eating all the crap did a single ounce fall off me. As soon as I cut sugars, added more veggies and protein my weight dropped quickly.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:48 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I can't speak for anyone else but I eat junk and healthy food all the time and still lost weight and have gotten in shape. I eat mostly clean (brown rice, meat protein, veggies) and have junk in between (pizza, fast food, candy) either daily or every other day. As long as you work out often for at least 30 minutes, I feel that the body burns all of it off and out of you.

I do dance cardio and run at least 30 minutes either daily or every other day. Your body naturally will start to hate the junk down the line because it was designed to digest healthy food and will begin to crave the healthy food more. I eat junk mostly out of boredom. If I had more things to do, I wouldn't bother. Stick to clean eating if you can.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-02-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 01:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
So I been trying to diet for the last month. I been working out at least 4 times a week. What happens if eat whatever I want without a healthy diet? Just work out at least 4 days a week for one hour? Diet has been so hard for me, its like my body craves junk food, carbs, and soda. It's not until I have some of that, that my body relaxes. I figured ill still gain weight if I have more calories in, than what I burn, but my question is what does this do to my body? Can I be fit and overweight? Not sure if that makes sense, I just see myself getting stronger, and faster in the track, with a bad diet. But the pounds are not dropping.
Have you ever looked at professional football players, especially linemen? Many of these guys are overweight but in better shape than most men their age.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:30 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times
Get a trainer or dietitian to help you create a diet plan that you know for a fact you will comply with. There are a lot of healthy options that you can choose and still tasty.

Then do your workouts and do at least 30 minutes a day of moderate (or more) cardio exercise. Treadmill or stairclimber.

Give yourself 4 cheat meals a month, or 1 per week. That will help maintain your sanity and cravings. Not 4 days, 4 meals.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much you want to achieve your goal. If food is more important, continue your current diet. If being fit and in shape is more important, you'll have to sacrifice! Successfully achieving an aesthetic body is a lot of hard work if you weren't born with amazing genetics (the majority of us). Good luck

Old 09-02-2018, 05:27 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
I agree with all the posts but I also think you should eat in moderation. Eat smaller portion sizes.

I think as kids we were taught to eat everything on our plate. So if I ordered a plate of 10 chicken wings and fries, I felt I had to eat all of it. During my weight loss journey a few years ago, I found that I was full and satisfied after eating only 4 wings without the fries. Then instead of fries I would order a side salad.

Listen to your body when it’s full and make conscious food choices. It’s ok if you cheat every once in a while. Just remember tomorrow is another day for you to get it right.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:00 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Have you ever looked at professional football players, especially linemen? Many of these guys are overweight but in better shape than most men their age.
The NFL Has An Obesity Problem

[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness