Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 11:06 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,094,631 times

Advertisements

Don't even think about starting running until you can walk at least three miles at a fast pace to build up your joints. Get a Dr.'s blessing before starting. If you can afford it, speak with a personal trainer or physical therapist, especially if you have any pre-existing conditions. Do maybe ten good stretches daily to keep or improve your flexibility. Watch your diet religiously, what works for me is to keep a journal of everything that goes in my pie-hole. Lastly, don't give up if you hit a sticking point, go in even when you don't feel like it and do a partial workout, that will keep up the momentum.

And lastly, good luck! I had back surgery about five months ago (ruptured disc) and could barely walk beforehand. Surgery went well, I've done the physical therapy, and have added to it over the past five months, and started to diet two weeks ago. I'm actually to the point now where I feel "healthy", and will continue to gradually increase the intensity of the workouts. I'm down about ten pounds, and intend to lose twenty or thirty more over the next year. Keep going, and resist doing too much too soon. Walk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:06 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,709,372 times
Change your diet if your fully committed. Start slow though and stretch. Stretchings important. You'll be sore after your first day and will continue to be sore for a week if not more. Work through it.
Your much too heavy for your height so diet I'd say is more important than shelling out for a gym membership. Walking a few laps in your local park or at your local school field costs nothing.
Good luck

Old 10-01-2018, 05:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,625,969 times
The real key for me was just going on a regular basis. I made going to the gym a "must" in my schedule.

When you are at the gym, do not think you have to be "superman" and compete with all of the athletes. Focus on cardio and slowly work in a little weight work as time goes not.

Now about the beer????????

Old 10-01-2018, 06:02 AM

93 posts, read 66,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
The real key for me was just going on a regular basis. I made going to the gym a "must" in my schedule.

When you are at the gym, do not think you have to be "superman" and compete with all of the athletes. Focus on cardio and slowly work in a little weight work as time goes not.

Now about the beer????????

Yeah, totally agree. It needs to just become part of your schedule and you don't even think about it. I always enjoyed the feeling after a workout but I do not really enjoy working out. For me it had to be like any other mundane or less pleasant part of your day. Doing that report on Fridays or mowing the grass on Saturday or whatever. You just do it and it's not really torture but rather part of what you do.

Beer and other alcohol impacts you more than when you were younger. I suppose you know that. I think that for many, working out can help decrease alcohol consumption - you might be at the gym when you'd normally be cracking one open. Or you feel so good and healthy after a workout, you avoid bloaty beer as not to ruin the good feeling. Anyway, I suggest that you try to just cut back. if you normally have two, have one. if it's normally 5 days a week, make it two or three. When you'd normally just have "one more", call it quits.

Congrats on pursuing a life change like this. You may find that the focus and discipline spills over into other parts of your life as well and you raise the bar for yourself all around.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 AM

15,229 posts, read 10,415,960 times
I'm a 63 year old woman who is 5'1" tall, 136 pounds and just rejoined a gym after some time off due to illness. My advice is to start slow especially with the weights. I started with 30 minutes walking at a speed of 2.8 mph, no incline and 30 pounds on most of the weights. I now do 40 minutes on the treadmill at the highest incline it goes to after a few minutes at 2 mph to warm up. I bring my iPhone and listen to my workout playlist with earbuds which helps me keep going while on the treadmill. I use the theme from some of the Rocky movies but you use what you feel will keep you moving. I'm up to 50 pounds on most of the weights.

What you don't want to do is go all gangbusters the first work on any machine, whether it's the elliptical, treadmill, weights, etc. You don't want to injure yourself. Slow & steady wins the race.

No junk food or sugary snacks. If you want something sweet have some fruit. If you want something salty have some pistachios or macadamia nuts. Have a little protein at each meal. I've lost 25 pounds in the last year and my goal is to get to 125 pounds. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:12 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,243,217 times
I agree with everyone that the most important thing is to make it a habit. Start out slow and easy so you enjoy it. It's all too easy to discontinue doing something you dread. Keep up the good work!

Old 10-01-2018, 03:22 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,749,872 times
I would focus on the weights and gradually add cardio. Don't focus on burning calories, it will only frustrate you. You are not in good enough shape to burn enough calories to make a difference. You want to add the cardio for you cardiovascular system.

Take advantage of whatever intro and instruction the gym provides. It is fine to start with the Nautilus machines and than gradually incorporate free weight training into your workout. Look at this as a long term life style change. You will not see big changes in your body in a few weeks or months. It will take months to come up with a workout that works for you. Do some research online and watch some videos. It is a journey.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:21 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,094,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm a 63 year old woman who is 5'1" tall, 136 pounds and just rejoined a gym after some time off due to illness. My advice is to start slow especially with the weights. I started with 30 minutes walking at a speed of 2.8 mph, no incline and 30 pounds on most of the weights. I now do 40 minutes on the treadmill at the highest incline it goes to after a few minutes at 2 mph to warm up. I bring my iPhone and listen to my workout playlist with earbuds which helps me keep going while on the treadmill. I use the theme from some of the Rocky movies but you use what you feel will keep you moving. I'm up to 50 pounds on most of the weights.

What you don't want to do is go all gangbusters the first work on any machine, whether it's the elliptical, treadmill, weights, etc. You don't want to injure yourself. Slow & steady wins the race.

No junk food or sugary snacks. If you want something sweet have some fruit. If you want something salty have some pistachios or macadamia nuts. Have a little protein at each meal. I've lost 25 pounds in the last year and my goal is to get to 125 pounds. Good luck!
This, all day long and twice on Sunday. OP, you're getting a lot of good advice here. Happy Trails.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,102,851 times
Exercise is obviously important for health, but weight loss is mostly eating. I would read Mark's Daily Apple for starters or better yet, read "The Primal Blueprint". Talk about eye opening. You will lose a lot of weight if you follow a more primal style of eating. Relax, you don't have to go nuts over it, just try to do what you can live with. 80% on the plan? 70%?

Glad you are joining a gym. Take is slow and try and make if fun or you won't want to go. Now get to work!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 PM

21,653 posts, read 8,808,886 times
I was in your shoes ten years ago when I joined the local Y. I've always hated exercise but knew that after I hit age 60, I couldn't go on gaining weight and feeling bad about myself. As others have said, it's important to make exercise a regular part of your routine. Treat it seriously as you would a part-time job, except always remember that now you're working for yourself.

At first it may be tough going, but take it slow and gradually work up to a more intense workout. If the gym has trainers, have them design a routine for you to follow. It may take some time to get into the groove, but once exercise becomes a regular habit you'll notice that you feel better, look younger and have more energy. Working out isn't fun, but it's well worth the effort. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness