Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:17 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue people face when starting to get back into shape is continued consistency. Initially I would argue volume over intensity, at least until your habits are well established. Partake in any physical activity you can do for at least 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week, every week. It can lifting, walking, swimming, etc. Its better at this point to go light but do it 5 days a week, then to go hard for only do 2 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 01:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Hi all:
I ride a bike a couple of times a week around town. I walk around in my classroom a lot. (I'm a 54 year old male high school teacher). But other than those two exercise-y things, that's it for movement and physical activity for me, pretty much for the last half decade.

I am 5'9", 250 lbs, divorced in the past year, and have become a lazy, beer-drinking, bar-food-eating slug. Five years ago I weighed 50 lbs. less (a pound a month....) Enough's enough.

There are two gyms in town....one at the small college in my small town: always packed (cause it's way cheap), lines for machines and free weights, and based more on socializing than exercising in our town. The other one is nice but forgotten, with a small therapy pool, nautilus machines and free weights, and 24/7 access year round via key fob. And virtually empty: everyone in town thinks it's strictly for the hospital and physical therapy so hardly anyone one is a "member". I frankly don't know how they stay in business...it's always empty. I'm joining that one. Time to get it done.

Once upon a time...back in the 90's I was a gym member in another town. Not since then though, and I've never been a "jock" at any point in my life. I'm smart enough to not "push it" and get injured, but what other advice do you all have for "someone like me." Yes, my commitment level right now is a serious one. One thing I've always had is will power, IF I put my mind to it. I finally am at that point.

I join tomorrow at 4 pm. Thoughts and comments and links to sites encouraged. Because I'm pretty much flying blind here. What should my gym days be like? Diet? earbud tunes? time allotted? Etc etc etc etc

thanks all....
i havent read other posts and my post probably wont be liked by many but my general opinion is that if you cant get your diet in order then there is little point in bothering with the gym. diet first, then gym. the amount that going to the gym assists in weight loss is negligible compared to diet.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i havent read other posts and my post probably wont be liked by many but my general opinion is that if you cant get your diet in order then there is little point in bothering with the gym. diet first, then gym. the amount that going to the gym assists in weight loss is negligible compared to diet.
Then you are assuming the only reason to workout is to lose weight. It all depends on the person. If that person is obese, they I tend to agree with you. They probably can't do that much exercise to make much of a difference until they start losing weight. It will be a slow process.

If the person's goal is primarily to get in shape, then it is a different situation. The person could be skinny and out of shape. In this situation, diet is not that critical. Start exercising, both cardio and strength training, as soon as possible.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Then you are assuming the only reason to workout is to lose weight. It all depends on the person. If that person is obese, they I tend to agree with you. They probably can't do that much exercise to make much of a difference until they start losing weight. It will be a slow process.

If the person's goal is primarily to get in shape, then it is a different situation. The person could be skinny and out of shape. In this situation, diet is not that critical. Start exercising, both cardio and strength training, as soon as possible.
im referring to this person's specific situation.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Good point, although I'd say that being fit, regardless of weight or diet, is highly important.

I go to the gym for an hour a day six days a week and eat like a horse--particularly on days when I have long runs. I'm pretty thin. So I'd say to work out as much as you can and not eat total junk, but not really focus on diet.

Opinions may differ.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Well, this has been said to death but you can work out until you're blue in the face but you arent going to see the results you want unless you change your diet. If you keep eating tons of bread and drinking a lot of beer then you wont lose much weight and unless you're an NFL running back then at 5'9" you should probably weight no more than about 170lbs +-. More fruits, veggies and eggs. Less pizza, soda pop and beer.

But good luck. You've taken initiative so you're on the right track.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:03 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Hi all:
I ride a bike a couple of times a week around town. I walk around in my classroom a lot. (I'm a 54 year old male high school teacher). But other than those two exercise-y things, that's it for movement and physical activity for me, pretty much for the last half decade.

I am 5'9", 250 lbs, divorced in the past year, and have become a lazy, beer-drinking, bar-food-eating slug. Five years ago I weighed 50 lbs. less (a pound a month....) Enough's enough.

There are two gyms in town....one at the small college in my small town: always packed (cause it's way cheap), lines for machines and free weights, and based more on socializing than exercising in our town. The other one is nice but forgotten, with a small therapy pool, nautilus machines and free weights, and 24/7 access year round via key fob. And virtually empty: everyone in town thinks it's strictly for the hospital and physical therapy so hardly anyone one is a "member". I frankly don't know how they stay in business...it's always empty. I'm joining that one. Time to get it done.

Once upon a time...back in the 90's I was a gym member in another town. Not since then though, and I've never been a "jock" at any point in my life. I'm smart enough to not "push it" and get injured, but what other advice do you all have for "someone like me." Yes, my commitment level right now is a serious one. One thing I've always had is will power, IF I put my mind to it. I finally am at that point.

I join tomorrow at 4 pm. Thoughts and comments and links to sites encouraged. Because I'm pretty much flying blind here. What should my gym days be like? Diet? earbud tunes? time allotted? Etc etc etc etc

thanks all....
Your number one objective should be consistency. If you can consistently go once a week, that is better than not at all. Twice a week? Great. Don't burn yourself out by trying to bite off more than you can consistently maintain for the long term i.e. don't tell yourself you need to go 5 days a week if that is not realistic for you.

When I first started going to the gym, it was extremely helpful for me to book some sessions with a personal trainer to learn proper technique, how to use different equipment, get ideas for exercises to go into a workout, etc. I highly recommend that - it gives you some focus, helps you gain confidence, and having an appointment with another person there to meet you keeps you accountable. If you can afford to work with a trainer regularly, I found it worked for me to help me get that consistency and have a good program design.

I've been at it a little over a year now and things that were once hard are easier and my body looks different - and yet there is always more challenge - I enjoy it now. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness