Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
I definitely haven't been as disciplined as I was earlier, but it seems like the weight isn't coming like it used to. I did a 4 hour hike yesterday, which I expected to drop my weight, if only because I probably dehydrated myself.

This morning? No change. I've read how changes in diet can change metabolism. Does this pattern sound familiar?
Right here is the first place that might explain the difference between then and now. The first advice I'd give is to get back to the discipline you maintained when you lost the weight before.

By the way, when you were disciplined about exercising four to five times a week, what were your workouts? That makes a difference in how effective your exercise is. Three solid cardio days and two or three days with heavy lifting is a lot more exercise than a leisurely 20-minute stroll four or five times a week. Details on what you did before for exercise would help people here see whether you could improve your routine, and if so, recommend details about where you might make changes.

By the way, dehydration is about the only way you're likely to lose weight from one exercise session. Dehydration is also a bad idea. It's not true weight loss of the kind that really counts, because you gain the water weight right back as soon as you replenish your fluids. Dehydration is not especially safe either. Better to drink a little water from time to time all through a workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 05:05 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Since your job is sedentary, you should get out and walk every day. If you enjoy a gym workout, fine, but if not, just walk and get some fresh air. You know it’s all about the calories, and you already know what not to eat.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 PM

197 posts, read 279,435 times
Thought I would give an update.
I am slowly losing weight on a 1,600 calories a day diet. That's what I was doing before. I was gaining weight on 1,900 calories.

Each day I do not exercise, I lose weight.

Each day I do exercise, my weight goes up the next day. This seems odd to me.

I weigh myself every day at the same time, even weekends.

Unprocessed foods are also key. Even when I keep the calories to 1,600 microwaving a weight watchers frozen meal means I will weight a half a pound more the next day.

Right now, I can broil a piece of chicken for a meal. Whole wheat bread with cold cuts seems okay. Fruit is okay.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 525 times
Youn can visit :www.winnerneolifeshop.com , you'll find best organic weight loss product that will help you a lot.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
Sounds like you've figured out what works for you - good deal! That must make things a bit easier.

I am so relieved that IF and CICO works for me - I can't imagine having to eat 100% healthy all the time!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 AM

197 posts, read 279,435 times
Thanks - IF is Intermittent Fasting, yes? I think that is also helping me - I used to try and spread the 1600 calories over 16 hours, but I never felt full. So I eat it all in about 10 hours.

What is CICO?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
As we age the partitioning of where the body takes it's energy from changes.
It also changes from being inactive.
The older and less active we are the more sugar and protein is consumed relative to fat reserves in the body.

As you change your lifestyle and get more active, your partitioning may get "better", meaning more of your energy will be taken from your stored body fat. So sometimes even if you are doing the right thing, you sort of have to continue a while before the effects start coming along.

Another way is to go with a Keto-diet, this will force your body to use fats, because it leaves the body without any other options. The downside is that you'll need to put some time into it, there are great guides on youtube though.

Intermittent fasting is a relatively easy trick to throw in as well, because all you have to do is to skipp a couple of meals and drink some extra water. 16-20h fasts. (meaning fitting your meals into a 4-8h window).

You can also do prolonged fasting, usually 24-48h or up to as long as 72 hours. I wouldn't go far past 48h without consulting a physician at 40+ y.o though.

(There are studies where individuals fast for days until they lose their hunger and go on for 10-14 days until they feel a return of hunger and then go back to eating. I don't recommend that, but the fact that it's been done and repeated means you can read up on it and get a better understanding about the different effects of fasting and how different lengths of fasting plays into those different effects. Long fasting has the negative side that you really need to know what you are doing in terms of minerals and vitamins.)

Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Learn to cook quick, easy, nutritious meals and get in the habit of doing so.....that sounds like something that would help you.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 4,927 times
I think you should keep doing what you're already doing. It takes time to see noticeable changes. But it will definitely come. That's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness