Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times

Advertisements

Well, if you do the following as your foundation (through the week/routine, not every workout)

deads
bench
OHP
squat
row (BB or DB)
chins/pull up

You will have a pretty balanced strength training program. Do what the hell ever else you feel the need to on top of these things, but you will have covered the fundamental strength and balancing aspect of your program. You can go do a million bicep curls, yoga, sit and play on the phone, whatever, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:09 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, if you do the following as your foundation (through the week/routine, not every workout)

deads
bench
OHP
squat
row (BB or DB)
chins/pull up

You will have a pretty balanced strength training program. Do what the hell ever else you feel the need to on top of these things, but you will have covered the fundamental strength and balancing aspect of your program. You can go do a million bicep curls, yoga, sit and play on the phone, whatever, lol.
If you have a specific body goal in mind, then you're going to hit a wall without changing up your workouts. Anyone can get "newbie" gains by doing the above exercises for a few weeks. The problem most people have is getting further muscular development beyond those initial gains. This is the audience most weightlifting advice is intended for.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you have a specific body goal in mind, then you're going to hit a wall without changing up your workouts. Anyone can get "newbie" gains by doing the above exercises for a few weeks. The problem most people have is getting further muscular development beyond those initial gains. This is the audience most weightlifting advice is intended for.
But notice boxus stipulated if you do the listed exercises as a "foundation." There's a lot of additional smaller lifts that can work to augment the big lifts, and with them there's a lot of different ways to vary the training schedule. For that matter there's a lot of ways to vary the schedule just within those foundational exercises to avoid reaching a plateau.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But notice boxus stipulated if you do the listed exercises as a "foundation." There's a lot of additional smaller lifts that can work to augment the big lifts, and with them there's a lot of different ways to vary the training schedule. For that matter there's a lot of ways to vary the schedule just within those foundational exercises to avoid reaching a plateau.
I understood what he was saying. I don't disagree. I pointed out that the OP was basically complaining about how so many people make muscle building complicated. It is, in fact, complicated if you're trying to progress beyond a certain point. There's a difference between someone who is satisfied with 20 lbs of newbie gains and "okay" muscle definition and someone who is trying to push beyond those limits. The advice for these people won't be the same.

The "complicated" training and diet regimens are for people who've already maxed out their newbie gains. These people need to do more than the 4 basic lifts for additional gains. If this were not the case, then all of the YouTube weighlifting channels, fitness magazines and GNC would not exist. Literally every guy who puts in hard work in the gym would look like Reggie Bush.

Yet we know that 99% of the men who hit the gym on a regular basis don't look like Reggie Bush even if they're trying really hard. All of that "complicated" advice is for guys seeking to get a little closer to that standard.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:03 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
You can get gains doing those four exercises for a long time.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You can get gains doing those four exercises for a long time.
I guess the real question is why YouTube channels like Athlean-X and Buff Dudes get thousands of comments per video. What are those guys doing wrong?

Old 10-31-2018, 03:00 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
I guess the real question is why YouTube channels like Athlean-X and Buff Dudes get thousands of comments per video. What are those guys doing wrong?
I don't know but my guess is most of them don't even do those exercises consistently. They also probably go to the gym and do the exact same thing day in and day out. As you progress your training methods must become more sophisticated.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I don't know but my guess is most of them don't even do those exercises consistently. They also probably go to the gym and do the exact same thing day in and day out. As you progress your training methods must become more sophisticated.
Well that's the point I've been making this whole time.

I don't think weightlifting is necessarily complicated but it's not necessarily easy either. How complicated or how easy it is will depend on what you want out of it. If all you're aiming for is some increased muscle mass, and you're basically starting from Ground Zero, then most basic weight training regimens will help you achieve that. If you're trying to look like Terrell Owens at the NFL combine, then you will have to not only work a lot harder, but also a lot smarter.

I don't think there's any shortage of effort from most posters on sites like BB.com. I think building mass beyond a certain point is very difficult for most people, which is why there are about 4 billion threads, articles and YouTube videos on how to do it.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:

A few weeks? I guess NFL players aren't seeing anything but newbie gains after the first few weeks of training squats/dead/bench/rows/military?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
A few weeks? I guess NFL players aren't seeing anything but newbie gains after the first few weeks of training squats/dead/bench/rows/military?
I see a lot more than squats/deads/bench/rows/military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6MwsGtEfts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness