Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 01:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times

Advertisements

most annoying....easy.

I belonged to a gym in manhattan that required sign up sheets for times on the dozen treadmills because they were so popular at 6am. I always arrived when the gym opened at 6am and tried to get a treadmill to warm up before my workout, but never could get one even if only a couple of people arrived at opening time. i finally found out why.

there was a clique of women gym members who designated one of their group to sign up for all the treadmills for the rest of their group at 6am precluding anyone else from using one for the first hour of the day. the facility management knew these women were doing it and didn't care so I joined another gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:06 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Was he, perhaps, on fire?
He was not

Old 03-26-2021, 06:44 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
The three women in spin class last night who were continually on their cellphones texting. One woman kept placing her phone on the floor and then reaching all the way down from her seat to retrieve the darn thing. She finally mustered up some common sense and left it on the handlebars. I can see if you are a doctor or nurse or someone on call or you have some type of ongoing urgent situation (in which case, why are you in spin class?) but this didn't appear to be the case. I couldn't help noticing their activity because they were positioned all around me. At one point, I considered getting off my bike and moving but decided to just keep my head down and try to ignore it. I could see the instructor noticing it, too, but what can you do?

Old 03-26-2021, 07:07 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
Wow, this thread has been going on for a long time! I think I commented on this once before, but about something different.

I go to a small neighborhood gym so some of the equipment is limited in the sense that there may be only 1 or 2 of certain pieces of equipment. We have a guy who comes in and will use the (only) stair climber for nearly an hour at a time. Obviously, like anyone else, he gets tired, and maybe after 15 minutes or so, he’ll start basically hanging on the railing with his upper body. So he’s really not getting the kind of workout he thinks he’s getting from the stair climber.

The fact that the stair climber is occupied for that long doesn’t annoy me; it’s not a popular piece of equipment anyway and it doesn’t seem like he’s keeping anyone else fro using it. I guess what annoys me, even though it’s none of my business, is that he appears to want to lose weight, and he could use his time so much more wisely. Part of me wants to help but the better part of me knows that it’s really none of my business, and if I approached him to suggest things to try to switch it up a bit, he would probably be embarrassed. He comes to the gym and uses ONLY the stair climber for an hour, and leaves.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Stinky McFartface

(not sure if that's his real name)

Old 03-26-2021, 08:11 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
The pudgy younger guy who stopped me mid-lift (back extension) to ask me how many sets I had left. "I have one left" in a semi-annoyed voice as I had to stop, pull my headphones down to hear him.

Put my headphones back on, here he comes again......"Because this other back extension machine isn't set up for one armed pulls.....see?!?" Yeah, great.

Pause for 7 seconds. He musters up the courage to ask me, "Can you switch machines with me so I can use yours?" Now I'm really annoyed. "Like I said, I have one set left and you can have this." I'm not going to get up now with one set left and switch the handles and move to save you 30 seconds.

"Oh okay."

Old 03-26-2021, 11:42 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The three women in spin class last night who were continually on their cellphones texting. One woman kept placing her phone on the floor and then reaching all the way down from her seat to retrieve the darn thing. She finally mustered up some common sense and left it on the handlebars. I can see if you are a doctor or nurse or someone on call or you have some type of ongoing urgent situation (in which case, why are you in spin class?) but this didn't appear to be the case. I couldn't help noticing their activity because they were positioned all around me. At one point, I considered getting off my bike and moving but decided to just keep my head down and try to ignore it. I could see the instructor noticing it, too, but what can you do?
Instructor should have said something

Old 03-26-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Instructor should have said something
I thought that, too, but think that it's probably not a gym 'policy,' and maybe if she said something the offenders would be upset. There are no signs anywhere, but I actually think it would be a good idea. "This is your time. Turn your phone off and focus on YOU."

I thought about putting something on FB on the gym's page, but then, my name would show and I don't need any grief.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I thought that, too, but think that it's probably not a gym 'policy,' and maybe if she said something the offenders would be upset. There are no signs anywhere, but I actually think it would be a good idea. "This is your time. Turn your phone off and focus on YOU."

I thought about putting something on FB on the gym's page, but then, my name would show and I don't need any grief.
This is another long gripe....but after it, I'm done.

Update....yesterday, in bootcamp, the 'throwing of the weights to the ground' got to me - an ongoing issue. No one says a word, instructor doesn't seem to care. The woman next to me was using 20s and while I was still laying on my step/platform finishing flys, she dropped her weights on the ground and I could feel the vibration in my neck. When I got up, I dropped my weight on the step/platform - yes, I was being immature, I admit it, but I was fed up. The weight fell off onto the ground. Similar in all ways to the noise being made by others all class, all the time. Everyone in class stopped and looked at me. And I just looked around.....and said, ok, this goes on all class but you stop and look at me.....that tells me alot. (sorta under my breath, but I'm sure people heard me). Btwn this and the cell phone texting the other day, I found the owner and said 'this will be my one time complaint about this.' First I was worried about your floors,etc etc etc....but these women keep doing this and it's become a distraction. I did tell her what I did and what happened. She said she was going to talk to the instructors about this (it's only in this one instructors class).
Re cell phone texting, as I suspected, she is reluctant to put up a sign, but is going to consider how to handle this particular matter.
I'm going to skip the bootcamp classes for a while.
I was happy to get this off my chest, but feel like now I will be looked upon unfavorably by this group of ladies. And then I decided I didn't care.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:35 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
My gym requires that outside shoes be changed in the lobby. Everyone seems to comply with this except someone (whom I've never seen) who wears his dirty, muddy shoes to work out. There's mud and dirt clods throughout the gym. It looks like he's walked through a barnyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness