Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I haven't seen a gym that bans cell phones on the floor - restrooms and lockers? Yes.

Take away peoples music, podcasts and audio books and Poof! Everyone quits.
Mine bans cellphones on the gym floor. People can use their phones with headphones to listen to music without a problem, so I guess the gym doesn't fully enforce the rule, but phone calls are definitely banned. I have never seen anyone sitting on a piece of equipment while using a phone for any reason there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:55 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Take it up the chain. Not acceptable.
AGreed. The silliest response by the LAF employee was the assertion that the people are extreme fitness enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:06 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
AGreed. The silliest response by the LAF employee was the assertion that the people are extreme fitness enthusiasts.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. They're super into working out, buuuut they don't know how to share equipment or... actually work out instead of using gym equipment as their personal reading nook. Uh huh. Real experienced gym rats.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I am not understanding what you want her to do? If You won’t tell her who treated you badly, there isn’t much she can do.

If you want her to go tell the person to get off the machine so you don’t have to, that is unreasonable IMO.

It’s frustrating for sure, but I am honestly not sure what you are looking for.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:32 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
You know what the biggest irony is?

That one of the most mocked and maligned fitness chain out there, Planet Fitness, is actually one of the 'good guys' that actually looks out for the best interests of people in the gym.

I don't know how universal this policy is, but at least it appears some PF gyms restrict use of cell phones in the main gym areas.

Kudos to them!

https://www.clubindustry.com/blog/pl...loud-and-clear

Quote:
The woman reportedly took a call from her doctor's office on her cell phone while working out on an elliptical machine at a Planet Fitness in Dedham, MA. She claims the club's general manager threatened her and violated the club's own "no gymtimidation" policy. Management claims the woman was "rude and dismissive" and had previously violated the no cell phone use policy.

McCall Gosselin, spokeswoman for Planet Fitness, Newington, NH, said in an emailed statement that it is corporate policy that cell phone use is only permitted in the lobby of the club.

"Use of cell phones on the gym floor or while using equipment is dangerous for individual members and distracting to others," Gosselin said

Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
OP- can you at least get management to put up a sign saying that phone use on the gym floor is banned, or that phone use while on equipment is banned? That's a common restriction at gyms. That at least gives you something to point to if there are future issues.
Never seen a gym that bans cell phones. No one would go to it if it did.

Can you show one that does? A few?

Edit, seems there are, never been to them nor know p[people that do, the PF type ones. I find it pretty damn odd, but PF has weird rules anyway, lol.

But no cell phone use is a strange rule, people listen to music off their cell phone, in between sets can view funny pics or whatever, but these gyms than ban phone use seem not to be for the serious exerciser, so they do not think about things like this.

Last edited by boxus; 03-03-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 03:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

That one of the most mocked and maligned fitness chain out there, Planet Fitness, is actually one of the 'good guys' that actually looks out for the best interests of people in the gym.

I don't know how universal this policy is, but at least it appears some PF gyms restrict use of cell phones in the main gym areas.

Kudos to them!

Cell phone use as in just talking? because plenty of people use it to listen to music or text, look at funny pics, etc. That is far different than having a ban on cell phones.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:54 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Kudos to them!

Is pizza night in the best interests of the members?

Old 03-03-2019, 05:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

Mine bans cellphones on the gym floor. People can use their phones with headphones to listen to music without a problem...
So they ban calls, not phones.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am not understanding what you want her to do? If You won’t tell her who treated you badly, there isn’t much she can do.

If you want her to go tell the person to get off the machine so you don’t have to, that is unreasonable IMO.

It’s frustrating for sure, but I am honestly not sure what you are looking for.
It's unreasonable to expect gym employees to uphold gym rules? That's what they're there for. OP tried talking to the people himself, and the people were jerks in return, so maybe they need to hear from an authority figure that they have to play nice with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Cell phone use as in just talking? because plenty of people use it to listen to music or text, look at funny pics, etc. That is far different than having a ban on cell phones.
And why ban talking? If having a conversation with the person next to you is okay, why is talking on the phone not okay? It's still a conversation, just one other people can't hear both halves of. I've never understood people who are annoyed by phone conversations but not regular ones. Is it because they can only eavesdrop on half of the conversation? Is it because they're the type who can't stand any kind of electronic device, even if they're fine with the behavior if it involves an analog device (talking on phone vs. talking to person next to you; reading on phone vs. reading a book or newspaper; etc.)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness