Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:44 PM

924 posts, read 1,026,876 times

Advertisements

ok so I made a post previously and after reading some of the feedback, seems running or jogging is best for my health.

keep in mind the following

- I want to maintain my muscle mass (if possible)
- would like more endurance for dirtbiking
- and be overall healthier ... heart and stuff.

so I decided I am going to trail run or jog? or mountain bike?. whatever you guys think is better for my circumstances.

a bit about me

220lb bodybuilder
dirtbiker
get winded easy for now lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 PM

265 posts, read 242,105 times
At one point, I dropped a bunch of weight in one month doing both. I would run at a fast pace for 2 minutes, then jog for 1 minute, repeating this. I would do 8 laps, which is 2 miles. Then with a low calorie diet, I dropped a bunch of weight, and my strength remained the same. My goal was endurance for sports, so I know this worked for me.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,722,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
ok so I made a post previously and after reading some of the feedback, seems running or jogging is best for my health.

keep in mind the following

so I decided I am going to trail run or jog? or mountain bike?. whatever you guys think is better for my circumstances.

a bit about me

220lb bodybuilder
dirtbiker
get winded easy for now lol

Any running that you do will be beneficial to your health and endurance. You're going to have to start somewhere and if you're like most people, you won't be able to run that far or that fast. Try to create goals such as distance or length of time that you run. stick with modest goals for the first couple months. As your endurance increases, you can mix it up with faster runs such as running fast intervals or hill sprints. At age 39, I went from not running to completing a marathon at age 41. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that you only use for running. Injuries such as shin splints or plantar fasciitis will discourage you from continuing your running.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:34 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,218,378 times
If you are a body builder, you probably have plenty of upper body strength. Mountain biking would improve your cardio and save your knees.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,565,890 times
You can achieve all this without running. Just increase the length of your rides and your body will adjust. That's how one builds endurance over time. Even if you take up running, you will have to increase the length of your runs to build endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post

Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,937,898 times
There's no such thing as jogging. It's a made up word for boxing.

The best exercise is the one you'll keep doing.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:59 PM

924 posts, read 1,026,876 times
what about stationary bike? did that today for 30 mins mixed with high resistance and low resistance...was pretty tiring

Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM

10,654 posts, read 7,870,715 times
I would start with mountain biking because it's significantly easier than running, at least on level ground. Eventually try some jogging. Villageidiot has some good advice. Jogging is just slow running in my book, I don't know what other people are imagining.

220 lbs is a lot of weight to be carrying on a run/jog, so I would suggest running for a limited amount of time per outing. Hopefully you can work your way up to 30-40 minute runs of 3 miles or more. Trails are way more fun, more challenging, and easier on the joints. Will be slower though, given typical uphill components and watching for obstacles.

I'm 60 and run trails exclusively. My only regret is that I can't bomb the downhills because it's hard on the old feet and a bit risky for the knees.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:39 PM

253 posts, read 230,069 times
Any type of running, or even cardio, is going to be great for your body and health, but as others said, you need to start somewhere. Jogging, running, sprinting, or whatever you decide to do will provide you with pretty much the same results. If I were you, I would start with jogging since it's easiest, then gradually throw some sprints or long distance runs in there as it begins to get less difficult. Regardless though, running in any form has numerous health benefits beyond just endurance: https://www.openfit.com/benefits-of-running

Last edited by DanW127; 06-20-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,516,561 times
Anything that changes your speed and heart rate throughout is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness