Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 PM

14,571 posts, read 23,120,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
I am a male with a BMI of 25.

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Tuesday: Back, Biceps, Abs
Wednesday: Hamstrings, Quads, Calves
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Friday: Back, Biceps, Abs
Saturday: Hamstrings, Quads, Calves
Sunday: Nothing

- I read that’s its recommended to work each muscle group 2x per week for optimal gains.True or false?
- I know that resting is important so please keep in mind that even though I’ll be going to the gym most days -I still will be resting other muscles while there.
- For each muscle group, I plan on doing 3 sets/10-15 reps (with a light warmup set beforehand).

QUESTIONS:
- How often should I change my workouts to avoid plateauing?
- What two muscle groups should never be worked in the same day?
That’s an advanced/intermediate routine. A beginner should be working more along the lines of two to three full body workouts per week and will get superior results to this routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,396,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I would also be curious to know your age and goals. Is this for sports, health, self-defense, or just to look good?

It's been twenty years since I read it, but that looks pretty close to the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding routine. So if that's a stamp of approval, go with it. The first thing you should know about weightlifting advice is that it's full of contradictory opinions. Here are just 3 books I've read that give very different views of things:

"Arnold Schwarzenegger Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding"
"Beyond Brawn" by Stuart McRobert
"Heavy Duty 2" by Mike Mentzer

All 3 of these guys will have followers who believe they basically wrote the modern Bible. And each has a series of books.

Genetics will be the #1 determinant of what works best for you and how big you'll get. (I greatly improved myself by weightlifting but since most of the men in my family are built to be nerds I still didn't look anything "special". )

Your first year lifting you will probably see the most dramatic change as your body adapts to physical activity no matter which type of routine you choose. If you're a real beginner, I suggest trying your proposed cycle once a week for the first few months and see how you do. If your gains slow down, then try upping it to two cycles per week to see what happens. (Alternatively, you could follow the advice of Mike Mentzer and take a week off instead to see if you just need more recovery. There's that contradictory opinion stuff I was talking about.) Between hockey and weightlifting I think I would have collapsed doing it more than once per week, but my roommate was an athletic machine and could handle a lot more.
Well, I would suggest that the three books you've listed run the gamut from A to B on fitness, in other words all about how to get big muscles. I applaud the OP's walking everywhere and doing some basic stretching before the workout (though I think after would really be better), but you could probably step it up quite a bit on the aerobic and anaerobic fronts to mix with the strength training. As I've said before I would rather be an 80 year old skinny-fat with huge slick arteries and no cardiovascular disease, than a 40 year old with huge muscles and minimal cardiovascular fitness.

If you want a real perspective maybe you want to read some books like

"Aerobics" by Kenneth Cooper
"Bicycle Road Racing" by Eddie Borysewich
"Runner's World Big Book of Running for Beginners"
"Stretching" by Bob Anderson.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:09 AM

11,126 posts, read 5,619,186 times
Quote:

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Tuesday: Back, Biceps, Abs
Wednesday: Hamstrings, Quads, Calves
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Friday: Back, Biceps, Abs
Saturday: Hamstrings, Quads, Calves
Sunday: Nothing

- I read that’s its recommended to work each muscle group 2x per week for optimal gains.True or false?
- I know that resting is important so please keep in mind that even though I’ll be going to the gym most days -I still will be resting other muscles while there.
- For each muscle group, I plan on doing 3 sets/10-15 reps (with a light warmup set beforehand).

QUESTIONS:
- How often should I change my workouts to avoid plateauing?
- What two muscle groups should never be worked in the same day?

You gave no information of the types of exercises you do, other than the body regions. You won't get much useful advice without giving more specifics. There are hundreds of different exercises and types of equipment you might use.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:41 AM

151 posts, read 134,200 times
Hey guys,

I’m in my mid-20’s. My goal is to put on muscle and lose my remaining stomach fat (about an inch or so left on my belly)

I’ve decided to do full-body 3x a week with one or two rest days in between.

I found a 4 week beginner routine on Men’s Magazibe that gives you a nice start. I might be back when those 4 weeks are up!

Old 07-06-2019, 12:58 PM

151 posts, read 134,200 times
Is this overworking my ab muscles? Per session, I do:
-Verticle chair Leg Raise: 3 sets (8,10,12)
-Bicycle Crunch: 3 sets (8,10,12)
- Elbow Plank for 1 minute

I’m concerned since I want to make sure that all of my ab muscles get worked and I read that after a certain amount of sets per week; hypertrophy tends to decrease.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 07-06-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 338 times
Smile How I lost the weight fast and kept it off!

Hey gals, I struggled for 6 years with my weight after my second baby, so I definitely understand the frustration of just having the energy to make it through a work out. I came across this product and it has changed my life! Not only did I loose the weight fast, but im keeping it off and its so great. I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks

Ill post the link to what changed my life below.

[url]http://bit.ly/fast-flatbellyfix[/url]

Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 2,437,807 times
Quote:
I forgot to note.

Don't focus on BMI, use the body fat % for now.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 234 times
Default Lost 10lbs in one week... Insane!!!!

The other important element of weight loss is diet, and whenever you get the sudden urge to eat, I want you to realize how happy you will feel when you reach your weight-loss goal. This right https://dausel.co/OcUFGq here is a must see!!!

Last edited by shan2law; 08-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness