Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 555,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post

Get an treadmill or, better, an elliptical. You can get a good workout quickly even if it has that hamster-in-a-wheel vibe.
That's what I did... I'm not a fan of running or going to the gym so I bought the NordicTrack FS9i elliptical. I can work out with iFit trainers in the comfort of my own home in my underwear and don't have to deal with sweaty strangers in a gym or vehicle traffic possibly ruining my day.

Win win... and I'm down 41 lbs so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:31 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,014,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I ran for a couple years in my 20's and didn't really enjoy it much. I felt like it adversely effected my ability to play basketball, a real passion of mine at the time. Mostly I was running on pavement, which was a mistake.

About 30 yrs later took it up again and have really been loving it now for about 10 years. It's my favorite activity, over tennis, hiking and biking.

In contrast to my youth, now I only run on the wonderful, scenic trails we have around here. At first I'd just run for awhile, then stop and walk for a bit. This way I could actually keep up with my wife jogging at a slower pace. Mind you, I've never been overweight or otherwise in bad physical condition, just wasn't in ideal shape for running.

For sure, it takes awhile to get in good enough shape to really enjoy it but for many runners, myself included, it's frequently the highlight of our day.

2 or 3 days a week is my MO, and not more than 6 miles or so. Depends on how much elevation gain the trail has. One of my favorites is a loop that's only about 3 miles but it has a lot of elevation gain.

No music here. Today a bear crossed the path in front of me about 30 ft away. It was more exciting in a good way than scary, but I do want to hear what's going on around me!
watch those steep decline trails ---I took a tumble this past summer on a rocky trail --trashed leg, hands - took awhile to heal up.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:23 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
I'm sure running is absolutely good for cardio ...the lungs and the muscles. Yet I simply cannot do any type of Fitness without a "servitude" about it. Meaning...I would LITERALLY RUN to the store to get Milk or things...Thats how I justified running. But just to RUN with NO Servitude in mind....I cannot bring myself to that level. Even when I biked ...mountains or thru some city trails, it was always with a dual purpose....If your going to exert energy...do it for a purpose. Maybe the neighbor needs a loaf of bread and its at the bakery five miles away...

So I guess I do not like to run for the sheer act of such...it has to be with a good deed in mind.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,355,927 times
As I've gotten older I hate it. I'd rather walk/run on the treadmill which is easier on knees & back. Now if I lived somewhere that had trails and hills or at least something more interesting to look at than a pavement I might not hate it so much. Around here there's isn't too much of anything like that.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,944,882 times
The damage to joints with constant jarring is not healthy , but swimming is more healthy IMO .
I much prefer to swim under water as it improves my lung capacity.
It works most all the muscle groups and great cardio and the whole body is stimulated .

Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 AM

10,597 posts, read 7,821,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The damage to joints with constant jarring is not healthy , but swimming is more healthy IMO .
I much prefer to swim under water as it improves my lung capacity.
It works most all the muscle groups and great cardio and the whole body is stimulated .
Swimming is good, running looks to be better.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/w...-exercise.html

You're not working against gravity so much with swimming, which would make it a better choice for someone overweight or with existing joint problems. That's also the reason it appears to be inferior to running for the heart and bones-no gravity to overcome.

If you're not overweight and suffer from no joint issues then it's a myth that running will create these problems.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 AM

10,597 posts, read 7,821,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I Even when I biked ...mountains or thru some city trails, it was always with a dual purpose....If your going to exert energy...do it for a purpose. Maybe the neighbor needs a loaf of bread and its at the bakery five miles away...

So I guess I do not like to run for the sheer act of such...it has to be with a good deed in mind.
What purpose was there biking through mountains?

That approach would pretty much scratch off any sport too. Improving one's health and/or having fun are legitimate purposes, IMO.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,014,070 times
Quote:
I'm sure running is absolutely good for cardio ...the lungs and the muscles. Yet I simply cannot do any type of Fitness without a "servitude" about it. Meaning...I would LITERALLY RUN to the store to get Milk or things...Thats how I justified running. But just to RUN with NO Servitude in mind....I cannot bring myself to that level. Even when I biked ...mountains or thru some city trails, it was always with a dual purpose....If your going to exert energy...do it for a purpose. Maybe the neighbor needs a loaf of bread and its at the bakery five miles away...

Is running the only fitness activity that requires servitude? Sounds like swimming, lifting weights, and practically any sort of fitness would also follow the same rule of thumb.

Running produces serotonin/endorphins and allows me to meditate - as usually see something scenic. I don't need to have to run to store and back to get the benefits.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM

260 posts, read 130,031 times
Quote:

Isn't physical exercise by itself a purpose? Then add the emotional solitude to clear your head from all those "things you have to do", knowing you are helping yourself be healthy. That's a valuable use of time, more than picking up milk which can be done in two minutes on the way home from another errand.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 8,345 times
No, but I have gone from loving it to hating it... but I think that's just called getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness