Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM

260 posts, read 130,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The damage to joints with constant jarring is not healthy , but swimming is more healthy IMO .
I much prefer to swim under water as it improves my lung capacity.
It works most all the muscle groups and great cardio and the whole body is stimulated .
A moderate running program doesn't hurt healthy knees, but it can worsen damage that is already present or if you are overweight. Proper shoes are really important to prevent injuries and ankle turns. Swimming is fun exercise, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,743,593 times
I always avoided running before because I don't enjoy the activity, but I've recently started to pick it up. Probably won't keep it up forever, but I like that it gets me outside. I also find distance runs to be somewhat meditative.

Morning runs before sunrise on the boardwalk here in Jersey City have been nice.

I think it also helps that I'm using this book, Tactical Barbell Conditioning. There's such a great variety of conditioning workouts in there, including different kinds of runs, that I'm not worried about getting bored or anything.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,238,264 times
At first I hated it, with 20 kilograms of overweight and without the right equipment or training it was an ordeal for my knees.

But I started to read reviews and methods to improve, I bought appropriate clothes and special running shoes and after a time I am improving, now I do 5k in 30 minutes, something impossible when I start running.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:26 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,647,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
So to preface - I've never enjoyed running.

Before I had my kiddo, I finally got to the point where I could run 5 miles in my semi-hilly neighborhood. I still hated it, but I could do it without totally losing my breath. It took me some time to get to that point.

I've picked up running again... mainly because it's SO convenient (I work from home and it's really easy to find 30 min - 1 hr to get a run int). However, I really don't enjoy it. I like other things - like hiking, swimming... but everything I can think of that is cardio takes up way more time.

Is there any hope that at some point, I'll actually enjoy running? I always see great results in my body when I pick it up, but it's such a drag.
I’m 71. I NEVER enjoyed running including right up until my back kept me from doing it at all. I did enjoy martial arts, cycling, even lifting at times, but never running. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness