Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,468,397 times

Advertisements

In no particular order ...

Get a thorough physical. Make sure your doctor understands what you're going to be putting more stress on your body than after previous years' visits.

Buy good shoes from a store that allows you to return them if problematic.

Remember your age. Yeah, that sucks, but still ... remember your age. I used to practically weep when I'd look at my college workout diaries (70+ miles/week at good tempo). Even a week of that would be harmful to me now, 50 years later. I've adjusted my expectations and simply enjoy being out on the roads and in the woods (lots of options here in Philly).

Start slow. I resumed running 5 years ago after a long layoff. I did 10 minutes every other day or so, repeating 5 times. Then 12:30, then 15:00, etc. until I got to a half hour. After that, I'd just go for however long felt comfortable. This worked really well - some aches and pains at first, but the gradual ramping up was a really good approach.

Time v. distance - rather than fretting about min/mile, I simply go out for an hour+ a couple of times a week. No interest in racing any more, just in it for the fitness and mental relaxation. WOuld you rather say "that was an enjoyable hour" or "why can't I do that 7 mile loop faster than 8:30/mile?" There are enough stressors in life. Your hobby shouldn't add to the list.

Consider your entire body - do complementary core/strength exercises on your off days.

Know when you've overdone the running. The dr. who did my pre-running clearance checkup said it's OK to feel a bit beat up after a run, but ... if you still feel beat up the next day, that's likely your body saying "don't do that again" or, at best, "be in better shape before trying that again." If you have a persistent pattern of more than simply fatigue the next day (joint pain, muscle cramps, etc.), dial back a bit.

Your training runs were probably with people Back in the Day. If you enjoyed the company, find a running club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness