Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 PM

265 posts, read 239,057 times

Advertisements

Hello, so I joined a new gym. I never really used the elliptical before but I gave it a try and I loved it more than running on a treadmill. Ten minutes on the elliptical is easier than ten minutes on the treadmill running. I can do the elliptical much longer hence burning more calories, because compared to running, the elliptical does not get me tired or bored, as when I am running.

My question is, what are the pros or cons of doing either of them? Should I still run or can I get all my cardio done on the elliptical? And, is one mile on the elliptical equivalent to one mile on a treadmill?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Hello, so I joined a new gym. I never really used the elliptical before but I gave it a try and I loved it more than running on a treadmill. Ten minutes on the elliptical is easier than ten minutes on the treadmill running. I can do the elliptical much longer hence burning more calories, because compared to running, the elliptical does not get me tired or bored, as when I am running.

My question is, what are the pros or cons of doing either of them? Should I still run or can I get all my cardio done on the elliptical? And, is one mile on the elliptical equivalent to one mile on a treadmill?

Thanks.
I understand that individuals are different but the elliptical has always caused my heart rate to to get higher BPM (beats per minutes) and I found it better for me than a treadmill.

I've done who knows how many hours on treadmills.

Good for moving my lymphatic system around when not lifting much but in general it's generally a bad way to burn calories. It does not change body composition and for me it's never been involved in "burning" fat even when fasted.

HIIT fasted in the morning has always worked for me and just 21 minutes of it will keep the "burning" going for several hours.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,787 times
Quote:

Pretty much the reasons when I decided it was time to get in shape I bought an elliptical... the NordicTrack FS9i. Pretty fancy machine with all the on screen iFit workouts and other bells and whistles such as high incline/decline etc...

Never boring... gets the heart rate up and is overall a better workout IMO than a treadmill.

Works pretty well too... when combined with my selective choice of daily food intake I've lost almost 40 lbs so far.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:07 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Elliptical is less impact to the body so if you suffer from any joint issues, elliptical is a better choice. I mostly do elliptical but get on the treadmill every once in a while because walking/running feels more natural to me.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
I would caution whoever uses either the treadmill or elliptical to disregard the digital numbers of how many calories you're burning. The machines often wildly exaggerate what you're actually burning.

For me, the treadmill is by far the better workout and more challenging. I use the elliptical only as cross training or if I am injured. But it's low impact and that's a plus!

Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I use both and the elliptical can be considered my first choice. easier on the joints and IMO I've always been more of a climber than a runner.

while I don't really pay much attention to the calories, I do make sure to input accurate information and twenty lbs less than my actual weight.

besides, one shouldn't think exercise is compensation for overeating anyway.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:59 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I would caution whoever uses either the treadmill or elliptical to disregard the digital numbers of how many calories you're burning. The machines often wildly exaggerate what you're actually burning.

For me, the treadmill is by far the better workout and more challenging. I use the elliptical only as cross training or if I am injured. But it's low impact and that's a plus!

Yeah I don't pay attention to the calories the machine says I burn... even though it is pretty much in sync with what my Apple watch fitness app tells me. I use the watch to monitor my heart rate.

At the end of the day all I care about eating the right stuff with the correct portions.. and keeping my heart rate in the 60-70% of my max as well as what the scale says. Working so far to perfection.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:21 AM

7 posts, read 3,495 times
From the point of view of someone who has had both knees replaced, the elliptical is best for those with joint damage although I agree with a previous post that the treadmill feels more natural. One thing the elliptical offers for everyone regardless of joint problems is resistance.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:10 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,655 times
Quote:

Thanks.
It is simple, if the elliptical is easier for you than the treadmill is because in reality you do not burn the same amount of calories in one device as in the other, you never get in an elliptical the same time at the right heart rate to lose weight than the treadmill.

Running is better for losing weight and improving your heart rate.

Elliptical are used only if you are injured or if you are too heavy to run.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
It is simple, if the elliptical is easier for you than the treadmill is because in reality you do not burn the same amount of calories in one device as in the other, you never get in an elliptical the same time at the right heart rate to lose weight than the treadmill.

Running is better for losing weight and improving your heart rate.

Elliptical are used only if you are injured or if you are too heavy to run.
There are plenty of reasons to choose the elliptical other than just being injured or too heavy. Yes, the treadmill has more of a calorie burn, but if you are unable to maintain it for long due to the impact or other issues, then it isn’t that effective. Another option is a lateral motion trainer or arc trainer, which are similar to the elliptical but harder and burn more calories. I tend to use one of those when I go to the gym because it is still low impact but recruits more muscle groups than the elliptical because the leg is not just going back and forth. There are also ellipticals that have a variable stride that will change depending on how fast you are going. I know my gym has some of those and the traditional ellipticals. As you get faster, the stride length gets longer to make it feel more natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness