Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 AM

26 posts, read 78,663 times

Advertisements

On July 4th, I apparently strained/pulled a muscle in my left side abdomen. If I don't lift anything with my left arm heavier than my wallet for a few days, the pain generally goes away. As soon as I start using my left arm again as part of my normal routine though, I get some pain. I was in so much pain on July 15th I went to the ER, who ran a CT scan and found nothing so they gave me some pain medication and sent me on my way.

Has anyone ever had an experience like that? What else can I do other than wait longer? Do I need to start back in a different way? Just tired of dealing with this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Try an orthopedist.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:37 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Sprains and strains can take awhile to heal.

I've personally never experienced what you are experiencing, but I would suggest perhaps seeing a physical therapist who can offer ideas on safe stretches you can do to help regain your mobility.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
If you wear a brace or a compression sleeve, you can prevent any re-tearing while you rest it.

They're also called abdominal binders.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:15 PM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
OP - "muscle strains" can take a long time to go away completely. Two things to keep in mind: 1) as long as the pain decreases over time -even if very slowly-, you are on the right track; 2) do not be tempted to exercise or use that muscle too soon, as you will end up re-injuring it.

I was lifting weights and hurt my triceps tendon in 03/2019; now, in 08/2019, it still has not completely healed yet. The ironic thing is that I am a physical therapist, and have been telling my patients to "not overdo it." I should have heeded my own advice.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:27 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog411 View Post
On July 4th, I apparently strained/pulled a muscle in my left side abdomen. If I don't lift anything with my left arm heavier than my wallet for a few days, the pain generally goes away. As soon as I start using my left arm again as part of my normal routine though, I get some pain. I was in so much pain on July 15th I went to the ER, who ran a CT scan and found nothing so they gave me some pain medication and sent me on my way.

Has anyone ever had an experience like that? What else can I do other than wait longer? Do I need to start back in a different way? Just tired of dealing with this. Thanks!
I have a few muscle strains to the core, lower back ----it generally takes me a week to recover and I have pretty much cease my usually fitness routine.

I'd say a General Practitioner or Family Practice physician or a sports injury doc would have to check you out. You might benefit from some sort of binder to your abdomen for support and prevent pain. I find a good dose of NSAID taken over several days will help the pain (Naprosyn/Ibuprofen). Sometimes heat will help if the strain is over 3 days old. The link below recommends ice. Sometimes a muscle relaxer helps but it makes you drowsy and during the day, not always a good thing.

So it could be a muscle strain, could be referred pain (pain that travels along the same pathway as your chest/abd but the injury is in the pelvis/hip tendons/muscles), could be cartilage inflammation - like costochondritis (rib cage inflammation) that is provoked by moving the upper extremities. If self care doesn't work, I'd get re-checked for reassurance and maybe a better medication.

https://www.healthline.com/health/se...or-pain#causes

Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I am dealing with a calf strain right now. It really sucks. I injured myself about a month ago, and it was healing, and then I stupidly went right back to exercising and reinjured it much worse. Now I can barely walk and very painful. It will be awhile before I can do anything.

Learned my lesson. Need to stretch and warm up carefully before and after ANY exercise, and give injuries sufficient time to heal. Feel better, OP.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:01 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am dealing with a calf strain right now. It really sucks. I injured myself about a month ago, and it was healing, and then I stupidly went right back to exercising and reinjured it much worse. Now I can barely walk and very painful. It will be awhile before I can do anything.

Learned my lesson. Need to stretch and warm up carefully before and after ANY exercise, and give injuries sufficient time to heal. Feel better, OP.
Those are terrible. Have had two .....pretty incapacitating. Took awhile to heal.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:21 PM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times
I did something very similar on July 2nd. I was doing modern dance, twisting while dropping to the floor and bam, strained a rib and muscle wrapping from low front to around side and upper back. I actually felt a rib pop. This is not the first time I have done this. I did something similar two years ago and it took 10 weeks to heal. I am on week five now and it's still sore this time around but getting slowly better. I am back to lifting weights but nothing heavy on the one side. This time at least the muscle/rib area didn't affect my abdominal muscles too much. Last time I literally couldn't do anything but walk as my entire core hurt. This time it's just the oblique muscles and a little bit in the back. The first week I was in so much agony I wore an abdominal binder and it helped keep everything in place and keep me from moving much. But it makes it harder to breath which can be risky. I only wore it until the pain was bearable. I'm prone to these types of strains because I do a lot of twisting and sudden stops/turns in dance. Very frustrating. Had to reschedule a wilderness canoe camping trip from August to September to give this time to heal.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
I strained my rotator cuff late last summer and it took months for me to fully recover- I’d do things that kept exacerbating it like I’d have to scrape my car out from under ice, lift up clay in pottery class, etc. I would say that it was probably January (or even later) before I was fully recovered. I also injure my feet/ankles fairly frequently and it usually takes a few months for those to heal as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness