Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:10 AM

265 posts, read 241,037 times

Advertisements

So I started doing Martial Arts. I am working on my diet and getting better as I progress. I was thinking once I had a solid diet, with a workout routine of six to nine weeks solid and doing college at the same time, that I would add creatine to my diet. I known people who used it and claimed that its helped, but I am not exactly sure what it does? I been told you gain muscle size, it boost strength, and basically it gives you more endurance. I am doing BJJ mainly, and hitting the gym on the side, with school. On google post on this topic date back to 2011, I was wondering what the word was in 2019. Also if you can list brands that would be cool. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,429,714 times
I've been doing Creatine Monohydrate on and off for 20 years, but only every 5-7 years for a few months on then off for years.

It's the number #1 studied supplement in the world.

It works.

It's safe.

It's also very cheap.

For me, I cannot do "loading phases" in the beginning. That's 20g per day for a week.

Then to 5 grams per day.

Loading phase causes me massive bloating and may be a marketing scam. That's just me.

I take 3 grams per day (half teaspoon) and strength increases and I don't bloat.

Give it a try.

For more info Google or YouTube.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:13 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,698,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
So I started doing Martial Arts. I am working on my diet and getting better as I progress. I was thinking once I had a solid diet, with a workout routine of six to nine weeks solid and doing college at the same time, that I would add creatine to my diet. I known people who used it and claimed that its helped, but I am not exactly sure what it does? I been told you gain muscle size, it boost strength, and basically it gives you more endurance. I am doing BJJ mainly, and hitting the gym on the side, with school. On google post on this topic date back to 2011, I was wondering what the word was in 2019. Also if you can list brands that would be cool. Thanks.
The primary benefit of creatine is an improvement in strength and power output during high-intensity exercise of short duration (under a minute), such as weight lifting and sprinting. For this purpose, creatine is well-researched, and the effects are quite notable for a supplement. When used in conjunction with resistance exercise, creatine may modestly increase lean mass. It is not of benefit in purely aerobic exercises. It will not do anything for you if not combined with resistance training.

Creatine supplementation appears to be more effective in people with low initial creatine levels, while people with higher levels may not respond as well. This means if you already consume a lot of meat, you may not benefit much from taking creatine.

I first started taking creatine in 1995 and have used it on and off since then. It basically allows you to lift harder, meaning shorter rest periods, more reps, and more sets. I used to take it immediately after working out, but found I tolerate it better if I take it with meals.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:59 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,425,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The primary benefit of creatine is an improvement in strength and power output during high-intensity exercise of short duration (under a minute), such as weight lifting and sprinting. For this purpose, creatine is well-researched, and the effects are quite notable for a supplement. When used in conjunction with resistance exercise, creatine may modestly increase lean mass. It is not of benefit in purely aerobic exercises. It will not do anything for you if not combined with resistance training.

Creatine supplementation appears to be more effective in people with low initial creatine levels, while people with higher levels may not respond as well. This means if you already consume a lot of meat, you may not benefit much from taking creatine.
I think the OP is able to run a Google search. It looks like you did and just copy/pasted here, lol.

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,507,466 times
I always scratch my head when people discuss creatine as if it had steroid like effects. Just get a solid pre/post workout w/creatine in it, eat right and go for it, but don't expect creatine to put you on the cover of muscle and fitness.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I think the OP is able to run a Google search. It looks like you did and just copy/pasted here, lol.

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/
But he didn't. I looked at that site and consumerlab.com, which I think are both good sources of information. What is your point?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I always scratch my head when people discuss creatine as if it had steroid like effects. Just get a solid pre/post workout w/creatine in it, eat right and go for it, but don't expect creatine to put you on the cover of muscle and fitness.
I agree. I've found the benefits to be slight. I think results vary greatly based on your diet. Some people already have as much creatine stored and will just eliminate any excess.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
when the government sees that something is too effective, they make it illegal.

ive gone through periods where i threw some creatine in my pwo shake and times where i didnt. i would say i dont notice a benefit from it. but its cheap and easy and its supposed to do something.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:24 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,425,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
But he didn't. I looked at that site and consumerlab.com, which I think are both good sources of information. What is your point?
My point is you copied someone else's text from an informational website, pasted it in here under the veil of it being your own words.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
My point is you copied someone else's text from an informational website, pasted it in here under the veil of it being your own words.
Here you go, pretend this is after the part I cited: © 2011 - 2018 Examine.com

Or would you prefer it in APA or MLA Style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness