Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:41 PM

33 posts, read 32,051 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I'm a long time reader of this forum, and am deciding to post for the first time. I'll just try to be brief in my fitness background...
I'm a marathon run/walker as I tore my achilles tendon a long time ago. I mostly speed walk these days. I also deal with a lot of depression which has resulted in a lot of weight gain over this past summer. I kept working out, but I didn't stick with enough cardio as I should have. I still plan to do my marathons over the next coming year, but I've been doing the same weightlifting routine for the last two years (alternate one day upper/one day lower; 40 minutes cardio afterwards). I want to move towards a weightlifting/cardio circuit where I'm constantly moving and keeping my heart rate up. I've seen people doing this in the gym, but I've never really sat down and come up with something that would be effective in what Im looking for - weight loss - but keeping the muscle I've built. As much as I love the weight room, and as much as I get bored on the ellipitical/treadmill, I want to find something to keep me interested that will bring my weight back down to where it was before (about 30 pounds lighter). I'm just wondering if a upper/lower alternate days would work still with jumping jacks in between sets or something would be the best - what's worked for people here who've lost lots of weight? I'm open to what most of you have had luck with.

Thanks in advance! If I'm leaving anything important out just let me know - this is my first time posting in a fitness forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,853,889 times
Your diet is what matters the most when losing weight. As they say, you cannot outrun your fork.
Keep a food journal and write down everything you eat and keep to a set amount of calories. Your workouts, whether cardio or weights, or a combination of the two will enhance your weight loss journey. But remember you can blow a great workout with a cheeseburger

Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM

1,361 posts, read 557,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your diet is what matters the most when losing weight. As they say, you cannot outrun your fork.
Keep a food journal and write down everything you eat and keep to a set amount of calories. Your workouts, whether cardio or weights, or a combination of the two will enhance your weight loss journey. But remember you can blow a great workout with a cheeseburger
Exactly this.

I'm a 45 year old male and I've lost 40 lbs at a rate of 5 lbs per week and am still going... on pace to make it another 5 lbs at the end of this week. 308 lbs to 268 lbs with a goal of being around 210 by December when I'm going on a a caribbean cruise.

What have I done? Changed my eating habits while working out on my NordicTrack FS9i elliptical in the comfort of my home. My problem was just eating too much. I'd also eat too much of the wrong foods. I'd go to BK and get 3 cheeseburgers and a fry... or I'd eat 4-5 pieces of chicken with mashed potatoes.

Since I started I've had a diet of the following:

Dinner:

1-2 pc Chicken baked skin on thighs/legs with 2 cups either steamed fresh Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, or Spinach

Lunch:

2 cups of above veggies

Breakfast and mid morning/mid afternoon snack:

1 bag of Quest protein chips

Water exclusively. Lots of water. Lots of water. Lots of water. I've eliminated everything that isn't on the above lists including fast food... dairy products... potatoes... and sugar. I work out on my elliptical 5-6 times per week for 30 mins per day doing strenuous uphill hiking like exercise to keep my heart rate in the 60/70% range for max fat burn.

That's pretty much it. I'm not a diet expert... I'm just letting you know what has worked for me.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,895,485 times
You cannot outrun a fork.

You can easily lose 30lbs by sitting on your sofa and not moving with a good diet.

Point is that you have an objective goal, which is great, to lose 30lbs. If you maintain the diet you have, you may lose a little, but doubt you will lose much past that though you will be happy with the initial loss.

So I would make a diet plan and stick with it, if your goal is to lose 30lbs.

You really should not look at lbs (though it is easy to do, and for most people, a noticeable thing) and look at your body fat percent and a goal of reducing that than just straight weight. What seems better, goal of losing 25lbs, or a goal of maintain current big 4 lifts weight, while reducing body fat from 23% to 18%?

Old 08-19-2019, 09:31 PM

10,048 posts, read 5,765,338 times
There's an old saying worth keeping in mind: You can't out-run your fork.

Weight loss is about 80% diet. Physical activity is a contributing element, but if you try to make it the PRIMARY element in your weight loss plan you'll be making it a lot harder on yourself than you need to. Plus any weight you lose primarily due to physical activity will come roaring right back once your exercise regimen slows down.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:24 AM

The OP has ghosted this thread it appears.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:09 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,445,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls14303 View Post
Hey everyone!
I'm a long time reader of this forum, and am deciding to post for the first time. I'll just try to be brief in my fitness background...
I'm a marathon run/walker as I tore my achilles tendon a long time ago. I mostly speed walk these days. I also deal with a lot of depression which has resulted in a lot of weight gain over this past summer. I kept working out, but I didn't stick with enough cardio as I should have. I still plan to do my marathons over the next coming year, but I've been doing the same weightlifting routine for the last two years (alternate one day upper/one day lower; 40 minutes cardio afterwards). I want to move towards a weightlifting/cardio circuit where I'm constantly moving and keeping my heart rate up. I've seen people doing this in the gym, but I've never really sat down and come up with something that would be effective in what Im looking for - weight loss - but keeping the muscle I've built. As much as I love the weight room, and as much as I get bored on the ellipitical/treadmill, I want to find something to keep me interested that will bring my weight back down to where it was before (about 30 pounds lighter). I'm just wondering if a upper/lower alternate days would work still with jumping jacks in between sets or something would be the best - what's worked for people here who've lost lots of weight? I'm open to what most of you have had luck with.

Thanks in advance! If I'm leaving anything important out just let me know - this is my first time posting in a fitness forum.
For cardio, do it after your weight training when your glycogen stores are empty,

or better yet: HIIT in the morning, fasted.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
For cardio, do it after your weight training when your glycogen stores are empty,

or better yet: HIIT in the morning, fasted.
I tried that once and came very close to puking. I cannot do any kind of workout without some food in my system. But I agree with cardio after weights. Sometimes I mix it up depending on my mood.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,655,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Exactly this.

I'm a 45 year old male and I've lost 40 lbs at a rate of 5 lbs per week and am still going... on pace to make it another 5 lbs at the end of this week. 308 lbs to 268 lbs with a goal of being around 210 by December when I'm going on a a caribbean cruise.

What have I done? Changed my eating habits while working out on my NordicTrack FS9i elliptical in the comfort of my home. My problem was just eating too much. I'd also eat too much of the wrong foods. I'd go to BK and get 3 cheeseburgers and a fry... or I'd eat 4-5 pieces of chicken with mashed potatoes.

Since I started I've had a diet of the following:

Dinner:

1-2 pc Chicken baked skin on thighs/legs with 2 cups either steamed fresh Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, or Spinach

Lunch:

2 cups of above veggies

Breakfast and mid morning/mid afternoon snack:

1 bag of Quest protein chips

Water exclusively. Lots of water. Lots of water. Lots of water. I've eliminated everything that isn't on the above lists including fast food... dairy products... potatoes... and sugar. I work out on my elliptical 5-6 times per week for 30 mins per day doing strenuous uphill hiking like exercise to keep my heart rate in the 60/70% range for max fat burn.

That's pretty much it. I'm not a diet expert... I'm just letting you know what has worked for me.
Do you feel hungry all the time? 1-2 pieces of chicken with vegetables sounds like a portion for me, and I'm a small woman at 5'2" and 103 lbs. I don't think I'll get full from that either!

Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,968,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Do you feel hungry all the time? 1-2 pieces of chicken with vegetables sounds like a portion for me, and I'm a small woman at 5'2" and 103 lbs. I don't think I'll get full from that either!
Don't be cruel. LOL. Guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness