Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:45 AM

9,511 posts, read 8,510,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I won't blame his death on steroids but for a person whose life was the very definition of exercise and healthful eating, his death from an ordinary heart attack at the unremarkable age of 78 takes all the air out exercise gurus, low fatters, low carbers, aerobics fanatics, H.I.I.T. proponents, and all the rest. Sure. I'm pro exercise and eat right but the way they're usually put forth by their loudest proponents as a kind of cure-all .. well, I've always known it was boggasiusness
I haven't read that a heart attack was the actual cause of death.....it was deemed a drowning. But he *could* have suffered a heart attack while swimming, sure. Regardless, swimming in the ocean at age 78 is pretty healthy if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 PM

2,134 posts, read 1,483,883 times
Quote:
I won't blame his death on steroids but for a person whose life was the very definition of exercise and healthful eating, his death from an ordinary heart attack at the unremarkable age of 78 takes all the air out exercise gurus, low fatters, low carbers, aerobics fanatics, H.I.I.T. proponents, and all the rest. Sure. I'm pro exercise and eat right but the way they're usually put forth by their loudest proponents as a kind of cure-all .. well, I've always known it was boggasiusness

Quality of life, not length of life. Not one of us has any control over how long we will be alive. Not in the least, but today, we can make choices to help us have a great quality of life for this day.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,333,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Strong for a 5’ 5 shorty.
He was more like 5'3" or possibly 5'4" on his tallest day. But regardless, what does height have to do with physical strength? Shorter guys like that don't have the long limbs and long levers that would hinder them in some activities, but in terms of pure lifting power and muscle strength, I don't think height really matters all that much.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Was it a heart attack? The first report said that he drowned and/or that he had an "accident" while swimming. Then, some reports said that he died in the water while other reports said that he died at the hospital.

Regardless, it's sad for anyone to die. Perhaps Franco had some health issues to which nobody was privy. And do we know for a fact that he followed a strict eating and workout regimen into older age? He did smoke cigars now and then.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Quality of life, not length of life. Not one of us has any control over how long we will be alive. Not in the least, but today, we can make choices to help us have a great quality of life for this day.
We can choose not to jump off a bridge or dart in front of an oncoming car, so in that sense, we do have some control over how long we may live. But I do get your overall message.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,906,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
He was more like 5'3" or possibly 5'4" on his tallest day. But regardless, what does height have to do with physical strength? Shorter guys like that don't have the long limbs and long levers that would hinder them in some activities, but in terms of pure lifting power and muscle strength, I don't think height really matters all that much.
Height matters in that the person generally weighs more/can put on more weight (i.e. muscle), that is why there are weight classes, and if you look at everyone, the classes generally trend by height as well though not defined by it nor factored into it. But the taller a person is, the more potential they will have over someone shorter. But reality is for 99% of people, it will make no difference, only at elite levels will this be a factor.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:21 PM

17,241 posts, read 57,280,961 times
Smaller guys do tend to have a greater strength to weight ratio. So a guy like Franco would likely do more pullups, etc, than a bigger guy in similar shape like Arnold. Having shorter arms and legs would actually give him better leverage, depending on muscle attachment points, as well.

Sad to see him go, one of my heroes from my youth. While 78 is not a particularly long life, I think he packed plenty of life into every year.

There are so few really elite bodybuilders, I'm not sure any statistically defensible conclusions can be drawn from their lifespans, in terms of if this lifestyle adds years to life.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Height matters in that the person generally weighs more/can put on more weight (i.e. muscle), that is why there are weight classes, and if you look at everyone, the classes generally trend by height as well though not defined by it nor factored into it. But the taller a person is, the more potential they will have over someone shorter. But reality is for 99% of people, it will make no difference, only at elite levels will this be a factor.
Franco was stronger than Arnold and many of the other big guys though. Those bigger guys weighed more and were much taller, yet Franco was at/or near the top in terms of pure strength. A bigger, heavier body is not necessarily stronger than a smaller, lighter body. Talking just pure muscle strength here. And frame size varies greatly, independently of height. A short guy can have a large frame, and a tall guy can have a small frame. A larger frame affords more muscle-building potential.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,404,114 times
Stallone hired Franco to train him for Rocky II. There is hilarious footage of them dancing on YouTube.

Stallone didn't like the training and ended up in some kind of bench contest, and tore a pec.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,601,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I think that shorter people have an advantage in that the range of motion on lifts like the squat and bench press is shortened. They also tend to have greater muscle density. Someone who is 5'5" and weighs 190 lbs is going to have an advantage over someone who is 6' tall and weighs 200 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness