Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:30 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,183,197 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously overweight and I don't exercise. I suffer from a few chronic illnesses and chronic pain, and some of those keep me housebound about 95% of the time. Currently I have a recurring abdominal incisional hernia and adhesions which are now causing me to be unable to really even stand up straight most of the time. I spend a great deal of time in bed due to these illnesses. I'm under a doctor's care and undoubtedly will be having another abdominal surgery soon, but am looking for answers in the meantime.

I now live in the smallest place I've ever lived in, a 650 sf apartment, so I walk from my bed to the living room which is about 10 steps. I really don't move around much, it is really bad.

So, since I can't leave the house, I can't do any type of exercise that even slightly uses abdominal muscles, and I can't eat any fruits or vegetables due to illnesses, I am at a loss. My doctor, as good as he is, doesn't have any suggestions, he just says I need to eat less and exercise. I am eating less due to illnesses, but if you are in bed all the time, you really aren't going to lose weight.

I have thought about two things, a Wii or the XBox Kinnect, but really don't think I can even do some of those exercise things.

The only thing I can think of really is a treadmill. That way at least when I am feeling sort of OK, I can walk. I know I can't do an exercise bike because I tried my brother's and it really uses those abdominal muscles.

Can anybody think of anything else? I am at such a loss as how to do this, and to have any motivation to exercise or lose weight when you are sick all the time is really difficult.

If you think a treadmill is a good idea, can anybody recommend one? I've read about them, and apparently cheap ones can actually hurt your body, but I don't have much money either. Sigh.

Any help would be appreciated, I know there isn't a whole lot to suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I'm seriously overweight and I don't exercise. I suffer from a few chronic illnesses and chronic pain, and some of those keep me housebound about 95% of the time. Currently I have a recurring abdominal incisional hernia and adhesions which are now causing me to be unable to really even stand up straight most of the time. I spend a great deal of time in bed due to these illnesses. I'm under a doctor's care and undoubtedly will be having another abdominal surgery soon, but am looking for answers in the meantime.

I now live in the smallest place I've ever lived in, a 650 sf apartment, so I walk from my bed to the living room which is about 10 steps. I really don't move around much, it is really bad.

So, since I can't leave the house, I can't do any type of exercise that even slightly uses abdominal muscles, and I can't eat any fruits or vegetables due to illnesses, I am at a loss. My doctor, as good as he is, doesn't have any suggestions, he just says I need to eat less and exercise. I am eating less due to illnesses, but if you are in bed all the time, you really aren't going to lose weight.

I have thought about two things, a Wii or the XBox Kinnect, but really don't think I can even do some of those exercise things.

The only thing I can think of really is a treadmill. That way at least when I am feeling sort of OK, I can walk. I know I can't do an exercise bike because I tried my brother's and it really uses those abdominal muscles.

Can anybody think of anything else? I am at such a loss as how to do this, and to have any motivation to exercise or lose weight when you are sick all the time is really difficult.

If you think a treadmill is a good idea, can anybody recommend one? I've read about them, and apparently cheap ones can actually hurt your body, but I don't have much money either. Sigh.

Any help would be appreciated, I know there isn't a whole lot to suggest.
Normal walking outside your home might be a good way to start. It might not seem like much but it is one of the best forms of exercise for total health.

Treadmills are constructed to replicate walking on an incline. (Similar to hiking.) A cheaper alternative is an aerobic Step. It's a small platform 4+ inches in height. Stepping up onto it and back down is a good simple exercise.

But I would start for a while with walking first. You don't even need equipment. You can set a mat or an old folded blanket on the floor in front of your television and just walk in place.

Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Diets DON'T work!

But you would benefit greatly from picking up (you can usually find a used copy cheap at your local Goodwill store) a copy of one of the low carb books by the late, Dr. Akins. If you follow it strictly, your body will drop most of your excess weight even without a lot of exercise. Walking, however done, will help!

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Can you get outside and walk? If not you can look into a used treadmill. Try craigslist for one.

You can also try the Leslie Sansone DVD's. She has a walking program that you can do in front of your TV. You can also buy them used. Read some of the reviews before you buy.
Amazon.com: Leslie Sansone - Walk Away the Pounds (Get Up and Get Started 1 Mile / High Calorie Burn 2 Miles): Leslie Sansone: Movies & TV You can buy them used and it is much cheaper than a treadmill.

As far as eating, I know my problem when i am home a lot is I snack too much. Try to eat your regular meals, have a couple of healthy snacks, and stay out of the kitchen. Can you eat fruits or vegetables in a soft form? What does your doctor tell you to eat?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

I can't walk outside, my physical issues preclude this, I wish I could.

No, I can't eat even soft vegies and fruit, no fruit juices either, my body rejects it all essentially, but I appreciate your suggestion. My doctor I believe is also at a loss. I'm going back to see an internist soon to discuss this, as I am really worried about losing vital vitamins and minerals.

Thanks for the suggestions of the tapes, books, the step and just walking in place, I'll see what I can figure out from your suggestions.

If anybody still has any input on what brand of treadmill to buy or to not buy, please let me know.

Thanks again all.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM

7,186 posts, read 9,240,253 times
Here's some threads about treadmill selection:

Treadmill Advice

Treadmill

Suggest a Treadmill -

Treadmill...

Are you sure you'll be able to walk on the treadmill? I ask because I find it easier to walk outside myself. If possible, I would suggest going to the store and asking to test drive one before purchasing.

Best of luck

Old 10-15-2011, 02:19 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,818 times
Check out craigslist, I just bought one today. An older couple was moving down south and needed to get rid of it. Its a heavy duty treadmill with many functions. We totally got lucky, I paid $30.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you for the links, lobo, I did a search before I started the thread, and for some reason didn't find those links, so I appreciate you posting them.

I have looked on craigslist and continue to look, $30 sounds like my kind of price.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:43 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Thank you for the links, lobo, I did a search before I started the thread, and for some reason didn't find those links, so I appreciate you posting them.

I have looked on craigslist and continue to look, $30 sounds like my kind of price.
Good luck, keep looking, you'll find one.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
I think you need to find a good physical therapist to design an exercise program. Almost every exercise is going to fire the abdominal muscles. As far as losing weight you might want to look into fasting programs or other homeopathic alternatives. If I were so severely limited in my ability to exercise and thus burn calories, that's what I would consider. I'm all in favor of treadmills but in your case I'm skpetical that getting a treadmill is going to solve your problems.

It sounds like your doc is not giving you much help; you need to find someone who will. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness