Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 05:30 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Just curious if anyone ever had success losing weight mainly by walking. Is it possible or do you have to run to lose weight?
You do not have to run, walking fast will do the trick. It won't help at all if you do not adjust your eating habits, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Yes. 50 pounds. It took 9 months of daily 90 minute brisk walks. The only dietary change was to eliminate alcohol and sugary drinks. Consistency is the key. Must do six days a week.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Walking and diet. When I did them both I lost quite a bit of weight. The benefits of walking went beyond weightloss though, my stamina increased dramatically so I wanted to move even more because it didn't tucker me out. And it improved my mood quit a bit too. I started out walking with a friend but found I enjoyed it much more when I walked alone so idle chatter didn't get in the way of calming my mind. During that time I was walking 2+ miles, 5 days a week

Old 06-07-2021, 07:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
And the more you lose, the easier it is to walk, so the more you lose. It's a happy cycle.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 PM

12,457 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Yes, I lost a lot of weight with a combination of walking and dietary changes. There is a ton of scientific literature out there that shows the benefits of walking on a host of health biomarkers like cholesterol, triglycerides, insulin, blood glucose, and blood pressure. Now, if you're looking to raise athletic performance, and things like VO2max, you'll want to be running (or, e.g. cycling or swimming), but for general health and well-being, walking at a good pace is fine. Plus, walking has far less potential for causing problems with feet, ankles, shins, knees and lower back compared to running - you don't have so much pounding.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:42 PM

20,671 posts, read 4,436,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yes.. However.. My walking was generally on a treadmill.. It was a slow, steady pace.. But i'd crank that thing up on the Hill program so that I was walking a steep slope, then it'd level off. 45 minutes every day. That seemed to make the "hills" where i'd go through 4 cycles.

In conjunction with watching what I ate, lost about 30 lbs doing it before I hit the wall and had to shake things up.

I used to do three 20 minute mile walks on a treadmill and had good results. In between walks I added either recumbent bicycle rides or free weights.

But running wasn't necessary. Walking, eating healthier, drinking plenty of water helped me lose 30lbs+.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:13 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I walk roughly five miles a day and while it helps a bit with weight loss diet is much more important. You need to reduce your calorie intake to a point below what you burn in order to lose weight. You can walk 20 miles a day but if you ingest 4000 calories you will not lose an ounce of weight.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I walk roughly five miles a day and while it helps a bit with weight loss diet is much more important. You need to reduce your calorie intake to a point below what you burn in order to lose weight. You can walk 20 miles a day but if you ingest 4000 calories you will not lose an ounce of weight.
Again, OR do intermittent fasting, in which your body is forced to access and burn your excess fat stores for fuel and energy rather than relying on a regular intake of food; with that method, you actually don't have to restrict calories or eliminate food groups to lose weight. I highly recommend it! But, as with dieting, that eating schedule is a much bigger factor and the more important tool versus physical exercise.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:13 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Here's another tip that I'll share. If you live in an area that offers premade meal services that are delivered to your home, these days there are quite a few of these that specialize in vegan meals.

I am not a full blown vegan but I order approx. 6-8 vegan meals per week. On the weekends, my wife and I will go to a restaurant and order what we like. What I like about this method is I'm getting several plant based foods per week without going overboard.

I find the prices are not outrageous and it's really nice to go into the fridge and not have to worry about what's for lunch or dinner on the days I eat the plant based food. So it's not only healthy, it's super convenient!

Old 06-08-2021, 02:11 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Here's another tip that I'll share. If you live in an area that offers premade meal services that are delivered to your home, these days there are quite a few of these that specialize in vegan meals.

I am not a full blown vegan but I order approx. 6-8 vegan meals per week. On the weekends, my wife and I will go to a restaurant and order what we like. What I like about this method is I'm getting several plant based foods per week without going overboard.

I find the prices are not outrageous and it's really nice to go into the fridge and not have to worry about what's for lunch or dinner on the days I eat the plant based food. So it's not only healthy, it's super convenient!
Yeah, that's a good trick indeed. In fact I credit it for helping me plenty the past 3.5 months. I do pre-made meals though there are kits that one can leverage, too. With no use for cooking, pre-made is fine for me as I'm prioritizing convenience.

There are three known options: paleo / keto / vegan through this particular service. I enjoy paleo and keto. They claim all-natural ingredients, so let's "go with that." I sure feel good, seem to be leaning out, and find it as you say cost effective all considered. I am a bariatric patient and find it easy enough to portion them right and no food is ever wasted. This covers 16 of 28 meals in my week, 4x/day since surgery last year.

Who knows the future, should I too wish to try vegan (or partially) this would certainly make it simpler to implement. I'm pleasantly surprised the absolute efficiency of their operation, in my case the meals arrive like clockwork each Wednesday PM and keep in the fridge a week. No preservatives, so one must consume them in that time. They use cold packs that keep everything fresh. Welcome to modern logistics, shipping from the Midwest to Seattle via FedEx with efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness