Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 05:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
They were years apart so nice try. We can keep doing this to try and one up each other but I think Dr. Know-it-all with his/her MD from Google University is probably never going to stop so I'll wish you well with your deep knowledge of the human body and hope you continue to give such great advice as "Go see a doctor" on all injury forums, that's just mind blowing stuff there.
So you didn't learn from the one bout with one type of epicondylitis how to prevent the other. Not surprised at all. Someone had to point the OP in the right direction and not follow advice from the "King of All Injuries" (all self-inflicted), soon to be "Basket Case" because of your stubborn belief that you know more than the professionals.

I just wonder what you'll injure next. Maybe your tongue in a stack of weights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 08:51 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
I fought with my weak, slightly painful shoulder for 2 years before going to the doctor. Only hurt when I worked out.

Nuthin' but good news:
Bursitis. Gave me a painless shot in the shoulder. Scheduled therapy. Almost immediate relief.
Wish I had gone 2 years ago.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:24 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
So you didn't learn from the one bout with one type of epicondylitis how to prevent the other. Not surprised at all. Someone had to point the OP in the right direction and not follow advice from the "King of All Injuries" (all self-inflicted), soon to be "Basket Case" because of your stubborn belief that you know more than the professionals.

I just wonder what you'll injure next. Maybe your tongue in a stack of weights?
Self inflicted? My man....you simply don't get it. I was a multi sport athlete and have lifted weights for 30 years. Show me a single pro or amateur athlete who hasn't had some type of injury, please. I'll wait.

You've never been injured? Ever? Do you ever lift more than those neon colored 5lb dumbbells?

Your "advice" here is pointless. See a doc. Great. I said it already, you see a doc when it's debilitating or long lasting. If I went to a doctor for every ache and pain I'd be bankrupt.

I know, I know....it's "self inflicted" right?

Old 02-01-2023, 03:22 PM

574 posts, read 267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Injured my left shoulder the other day while doing Bench press. First time this has ever happened so I'm trying to understand what occurred. On my last set I lifted the bar up and then proceeded to move the bar slightly forward (for clearance). This is when I felt something twitch in my left shoulder. I quickly put the bar back and called it a day knowing that anything further would cause more damage. It's been pretty sore since, but not debilitating. Pain seems to radiate from top of shoulder. I've been taking some Advil to keep inflammation down.

I usually have good form, but my guess is that I got sloppy and when pushing the bar up and then forward I hyperextended my shoulders causing some type of impingement. Was hoping someone with a good physiology background might be able to expand on what occurred and how to avoid in the future. For now, I'll stay away from bench/shoulder work and will probably go back to using machine or smith bench.

A warning that as we age, proper form becomes crucial!
I have a reoccurring shoulder injury that is prone to dislocation, but still lift heavy at least 2 a week on a flat bench and 1-2 on military, despite my doc saying that would be impossible.

What I do before I begin lifting is band exercises to warm up the shoulder. Usually 10 minute attack bike (heart rate 160-170bpm), then 6-8 sets of shoulder/band exercises before I begin to lift. On a warm shoulder, I never had an issue.

Now, if I were you, I'd cut the Advil, get your a$$ back in the gym and on the bench and do 50% of your 1rep max, and see how it feels. Then maybe next time 60% and so on.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:42 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I have a reoccurring shoulder injury that is prone to dislocation, but still lift heavy at least 2 a week on a flat bench and 1-2 on military, despite my doc saying that would be impossible.

What I do before I begin lifting is band exercises to warm up the shoulder. Usually 10 minute attack bike (heart rate 160-170bpm), then 6-8 sets of shoulder/band exercises before I begin to lift. On a warm shoulder, I never had an issue.

Now, if I were you, I'd cut the Advil, get your a$$ back in the gym and on the bench and do 50% of your 1rep max, and see how it feels. Then maybe next time 60% and so on.
Just wondering why you have a "recurrent injury" yet you continue to lift heavy? You aren't a pro athlete getting paid to use and abuse your body...but you seem to like abusing it, just for the fun of it?

Are you setting some record? For anyone? For yourself? You're doing something wrong if you keep injuring yourself and yet you're bragging...whatever preventive measures you're taking are not working.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:45 PM

574 posts, read 267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering why you have a "recurrent injury" yet you continue to lift heavy? You aren't a pro athlete getting paid to use and abuse your body...but you seem to like abusing it, just for the fun of it?

Are you setting some record? For anyone? For yourself? You're doing something wrong if you keep injuring yourself and yet you're bragging...whatever preventive measures you're taking are not working.
If you workout you will injure yourself. But bottom line: I'm far stronger and fitter as a result than if I were not to workout at all, or workout with light weights.

I was a professional athlete, now I just workout out of compulsion. It makes me feel good. So I do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness