Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 04:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Because nothing in that video or the (small) linked study suggests that older people can keep adding more muscle and more and more and more.

It simply shows that older people can, indeed, add muscle mass. If you are already in great shape it doesn't mean you can keep getting stronger and stronger forever. That's wishful thinking.
I didn't state otherwise. For any sport, there is an age range where you peak after serious training. Sprinters peak by around the age of 25. Marathon runners peak in their 30s. I'm guessing weightlifters peak in their late 30s. I'm talking about elite athletes who are competing at national levels. These athletes are going to peak at these ages and their performance will decline even if they are still competitive in later years.

I have never been an elite athlete and have never competed in weightlifting events. I'm still making progress at age 69.

BTW, nothing against the guy in the OP's video, but I think this guy has some better ideas for older people.

Greysteel Strength and Conditioning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 05:21 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
I tend to notice the older a person is, the worse the Range of Motion gets. That's not even a push-up/dip/pullup/chinup! Not the form police but I hope I never get to that point where you cheat at all your lifts because you're no longer agile enough or have the strength to do the exercise.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:15 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
I'm with those who say it's never too late to build muscle mass and get stronger. About 9 months ago, at age 69, I started weight training at a gym (thank you, Silver Sneakers!). I hit the gym every day, do 20-30 minutes of cardio and then 45 minutes to an hour of resistance training. When I first started at the gym, I was still receiving physical therapy for chronic neck pain. I treated for over 2.5 years with a neurologist, chiro and physical therapists. I finally had enough improvement that my doc of PT gave me the go-ahead to join a gym and start weight training. He talked with my trainer at the gym and they worked out a plan for me. After about six weeks, my neck was 100% and I stopped PT. Yay!

After just a couple of months at the gym, I was already stronger than I've been in several years. Now, I've got sizeable biceps and my arms, legs, shoulders and back are much stronger. I'm working on my core as well. Last November, when it was time to clean the gutters on my house, I was surprised at how much easier it was for me to haul around my 16' extension ladder, set it up and do the work that needed doing. Trimming trees was much easier as well. I do all the maintenance on my house, and I'm amazed at how much easier it is now, as opposed to a year ago. I feel I'm getting younger instead of older. I can't believe I'm 70!

I am careful not to work the same muscle groups two days in a row and I do my more advanced routines only about every three days. I have one routine that my trainer advised me to only do every two weeks. I feel like a million bucks. I can't wait for spring weather to come so that I can start doing some heavy-duty yard work and outdoor home maintenance. The only thing that puts a wrinkle in things is that I have really bad arthritis in my hands, so gripping things is very painful. But tough bananas! I can deal with it.

My aunt, who died at age 97 two years ago, started working out when she was in her 60s. She worked out faithfully six days a week, giving herself Sundays off. She had a treadmill and purchased some dumbbells for weight training. She did her workouts with a VHS senior workout tape. She was strong, coordinated and had great bone density her entire life. She was only sick for a brief time (weeks) before she died. She was a testament to the fact that taking good care of yourself can greatly extend your life and certainly your quality of life.

Something that made me laugh from time to time was the fact that, until nearly the end, my aunt could sit cross-legged on the floor and get up without hanging onto furniture. I always needed to grab onto something to get up. She put me to shame!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:49 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I'm with those who say it's never too late to build muscle mass and get stronger. About 9 months ago, at age 69, I started weight training at a gym (thank you, Silver Sneakers!). I hit the gym every day, do 20-30 minutes of cardio and then 45 minutes to an hour of resistance training. When I first started at the gym, I was still receiving physical therapy for chronic neck pain. I treated for over 2.5 years with a neurologist, chiro and physical therapists. I finally had enough improvement that my doc of PT gave me the go-ahead to join a gym and start weight training. He talked with my trainer at the gym and they worked out a plan for me. After about six weeks, my neck was 100% and I stopped PT. Yay!

After just a couple of months at the gym, I was already stronger than I've been in several years. Now, I've got sizeable biceps and my arms, legs, shoulders and back are much stronger. I'm working on my core as well. Last November, when it was time to clean the gutters on my house, I was surprised at how much easier it was for me to haul around my 16' extension ladder, set it up and do the work that needed doing. Trimming trees was much easier as well. I do all the maintenance on my house, and I'm amazed at how much easier it is now, as opposed to a year ago. I feel I'm getting younger instead of older. I can't believe I'm 70!

I am careful not to work the same muscle groups two days in a row and I do my more advanced routines only about every three days. I have one routine that my trainer advised me to only do every two weeks. I feel like a million bucks. I can't wait for spring weather to come so that I can start doing some heavy-duty yard work and outdoor home maintenance. The only thing that puts a wrinkle in things is that I have really bad arthritis in my hands, so gripping things is very painful. But tough bananas! I can deal with it.

My aunt, who died at age 97 two years ago, started working out when she was in her 60s. She worked out faithfully six days a week, giving herself Sundays off. She had a treadmill and purchased some dumbbells for weight training. She did her workouts with a VHS senior workout tape. She was strong, coordinated and had great bone density her entire life. She was only sick for a brief time (weeks) before she died. She was a testament to the fact that taking good care of yourself can greatly extend your life and certainly your quality of life.

Something that made me laugh from time to time was the fact that, until nearly the end, my aunt could sit cross-legged on the floor and get up without hanging onto furniture. I always needed to grab onto something to get up. She put me to shame!

Good for you, PJ. Keep it up. It's a life long journey.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:44 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
So what are you griping about? Neither the video nor I have suggested infinite strength progression.

I guess I misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Ha, NO!!!. My personal goal is to keep increasing in strength to become as strong as is possible for me.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:34 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
PJSaturn,

Wonderful testimony to regular work-outs and improved health outcomes. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us committed to better health through exercise. Our bodies would reward us with vibrant health into old(er) age. No reason to not exercise...except excuses...my lower back aches disappeared once I started working those lower muscles and my core...

Muscles, ligaments, joints, tendons--all more flexible and supportive--I love it!!

Exercise--it does a body good!

Old 04-08-2024, 05:37 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
PJSaturn,

Wonderful testimony to regular work-outs and improved health outcomes. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us committed to better health through exercise. Our bodies would reward us with vibrant health into old(er) age. No reason to not exercise...except excuses...my lower back aches disappeared once I started working those lower muscles and my core...

Muscles, ligaments, joints, tendons--all more flexible and supportive--I love it!!

Old 04-08-2024, 09:02 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
PJSaturn,

Yeppers. It really does make a difference.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:32 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,503,893 times
I still lift weights, but have dropped down to four times a week; I'm old, I'm the oldest guy at the gym lifting. That said, while we might be able to add muscle, it's more difficult and do so at greater risk; our bodies are wearing out, recovery is longer, our backs are deteriorating as are our joints, tissues and so forth. At this point, I only wish to maintain and will accept a slow decline in strength, working more on flexibility.

I'm looking forward to taking up swimming once I move.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I still lift weights, but have dropped down to four times a week; I'm old, I'm the oldest guy at the gym lifting. That said, while we might be able to add muscle, it's more difficult and do so at greater risk; our bodies are wearing out, recovery is longer, our backs are deteriorating as are our joints, tissues and so forth. At this point, I only wish to maintain and will accept a slow decline in strength, working more on flexibility.

I'm looking forward to taking up swimming once I move.
It is impossible for people to evaluate what you do in the gym. You mention you go four times a week, so that says something. OTOH, my wife has gone to the gym several mornings and she says there is a group of men who are there every morning and just sit on the machines and talk. If you take a look at this website, Greysteel Strength and Conditioning, there are pictures and videos of people in there 80s and 90s doing barbell squats, deadlifts, and bench presses.

I've also been trying to get back into swimming laps after a long layoff. I'm finding it very difficult. Much easier to lift weights but I need the cardiovascular exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness