Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM

101 posts, read 381,358 times

Advertisements

Wow im sure in for a shock! Thought I could do alot more then what happened. I live on a small block so I started streching then walked fast around the block once then tried to jog around the block a second time I got half way around which was MAYBE 45 seconds long. I stoped and tried to walk fast then after a short break jogged back home and I felt like I was dieing. Holy crap I didn't know it was that hard!!!! This is going to be rough!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:33 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times
it's mainly a mind thing. your body can keep going, you just have to convince your mind that you can do it. it's hard, you're right. it's so easy to stop that you just seem to stop. but if you keep walking and running, you'll soon be able to run longer and longer. good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Yup, its all in your head! Just keep doing it even though it hurts, and before you know it you will like jogging and the weight will fall off!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
There is nothing more difficult, to me, than to begin running. It's just so easy to stop running and walk instead. But, keep at it and bit by bit you can go longer and longer. When starting out, I always give myself tiny little goals (run to the stop sign) and then keep extending them once I make them (run to the end of the road), and so on. I know you didn't ask for advice. I haven't run in a long time, so I think I'm just talking myself into doing it again. I work out 3-4 times a week, but my aerobic training needs to increase.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM

173 posts, read 979,658 times
I started out last summer with the couch to 5k program. It worked out well, I ran my first half marathon in April in 2 hours.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Don't feel bad; little old ladies walk faster than I jog! I'm serious, too. It's so embarrassing. Honestly, I've disliked running ever since they made us run a mile (4 laps around the track) in P.E. starting in junior high. Kudos to anyone who is running for their health!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,389 times
You have already done the hardest part which is to start. It's easy to sit on the couch and wish you could get in better shape. Keep at it and you will be surprised at the progress you can make.

I was never (and i mean never) a runner in my life but I had been an avid walker for several years. This year I made it a goal to start running. The first time I went out I felt just like you did, like this really sucks and I'll never be able to sustain this effort. I kept plugging away by setting small goals. In January my goal was to run a total of 10 miles for the month, in February 15 miles, etc. I have now joined a running team (Team in Training) and will be completing a half marathon in October. Last weekend I ran a 5 mile training run, never thought I could do that.

The advice from fjtee is great, pick out small goals along your route. When I started I would say "if I can just make it to that car" and after that car I would pick out a fire hydrant, and then a truck, etc.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,709 times
I have 2 brothers who are marathon runners, one is crazy enough to do those 100 milers. 2 yrs ago I joked with my brother that if he did the local full marathon, I'd do the 5k. Being that he lives 2000 miles away, i thought i was safe. but instead i had to start training! Needless to say, you're right, the first time sucks! I remember feeling so weak, out of shape. But you improve QUICKLY and then feel so proud. Definitely try those small goals like were mentioned=stop sign, tree, shadow, intersection. And don't let anyone who runs passed you and is older than you get you down! haha.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 AM

101 posts, read 381,358 times
Thanks for the tips! Well yesterday was day 2 and I was able to go a little further, but man its hard!! Def need to get a new pair of shoes too. My ankles felt like they were going to snap off! But me and hubby had a competition to see who could out jog who lol of course he won he made it 1 and 1/2 blocks.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
Thanks for the tips! Well yesterday was day 2 and I was able to go a little further, but man its hard!! Def need to get a new pair of shoes too. My ankles felt like they were going to snap off! But me and hubby had a competition to see who could out jog who lol of course he won he made it 1 and 1/2 blocks.
The shoes are the most important piece of equipment. Spend a little extra if you can. Best bet is to go to a specialty running store and get properly fitted for your shoes. You will know if you are in the right kind of store if the first thing they do is evaluate your gate. They will have you walk around the store and watch your stride, etc. Also take whatever shoes you use most often for walking/running and they should examine the wear pattern on the bottom of the shoe. Once you figure out what kind of shoe you need you can always try to find the same pair at a cheaper atheltic store (it might not always be cheaper) or online with a place like www.runningwarehouse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness