Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,244,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhennessy View Post
I was just wondering whether anyone had any information on doing sit ups and press ups after breaking ones ankle. I have broken my fibula, and had surgery last wednesday, a plate and 6 screws are now in there, is it ok for me to elevate my legs on a chair and do sit ups. I just want to make sure this doesnt harm the rehabillitation off my leg, but also want to stay in some sort of shape during the 6 weeks in cast
No reason why you shouldn't be able to do sit ups after ORIF of an ankle fracture.

Good luck with your rehab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,266,967 times
This is a good time to post the following disclaimer:

Opinions posted here are posted by third parties and do not necessarily reflect the views of owners of city-data.com. Before starting an exercise program, consult a physician.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,816,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
How do you ever recover after breaking something near a joint. I tried to get back in the gym after I destroyed my wrist and it seems unworkable, completely different. Granted, I think the damn thing is still broken with tendon damage, but even still, alot of people get broken bones, how do they ever manage to get back to effectiveness in the gym?
I had a serious injury in my left wrist that required ORIF and I still have some hardware in the joint. I think I have a decent idea about the feeling you are describing.

You're likely pushing too hard too soon. I did the same thing. Any ortho worth his/her salt will tell you to immediately discontinue any exercise the moment you feel any joint pain. If it feels wrong, it probably is. If you spent any time with pins in your wrist and had the wrist immobilized, you may have some nice skeletal and muscular atrophy that will take longer than seems reasonable to recover.

It took me about 18 months for the joint to start feeling more normal (I had to get accustomed to things fitting together slightly different than nature intended; it took a lot of effort to regain my natural flexibility and I will never have the full range of motion that I had before) and it was about 2 years before I really felt like I could trust that wrist with any sort of hard work. The result was excellent and I am essentially unscathed at this point, but be aware that you may not ever be exactly like you were before the injury.

Good luck with your rehab. Be nice to that wrist - you'll feel really stupid if you re-injure it doing curls or bench press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness