Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Use of orthotics is a legitimate way to treat plantar fasciitis and I have seen many patients helped with them.
The power of placebo is an amazing thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:36 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The power of placebo is an amazing thing...
Orthotics are hardly placebo, do you even understand what plantar fasciitis is?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM

The swelling and inflamation of subdermal connective tissue on the bottom of the foot. AKA "the flip-flop disorder"

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The swelling and inflamation of subdermal connective tissue on the bottom of the foot. AKA "the flip-flop disorder"
Congratulations you can read a dictionary

Although "swelling and inflammation" is a bit like saying "pizza pie" which is to say redundant....

So assuming you actually understand that said connective tissue attaches to the calcaneus at the medial calcaneal tubercle, how do you not understand how a properly formed and fitted orthotic which unloads that area and may correct an underlying biomechanical abnormality in select patients is often beneficial??

Customized heel pads and soft orthotics to treat h...[Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003] - PubMed Result

Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Congratulations you can read a dictionary

Although "swelling and inflammation" is a bit like saying "pizza pie" which is to say redundant....

So assuming you actually understand that said connective tissue attaches to the calcaneus at the medial calcaneal tubercle, how do you not understand how a properly formed and fitted orthotic which unloads that area and may correct an underlying biomechanical abnormality in select patients is often beneficial??

Customized heel pads and soft orthotics to treat h...[Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003] - PubMed Result
suffix "itis" = swelling and inflammation of. Redundant? Not necessarily. Inflammation and swelling are distinct.

Fascia - was defined to me as a boy while skinning harvested game. An orthopedic surgeon was a member of the hunting club; he was a great resource for anatomical analysis.

Plantar - Common knowledge, related to the bottom of the foot.

Doesn't require a dictionary...:smack

Old 01-05-2009, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
I read your post and have a solution I've used over the years with my clients who suffer from knee pain from activity and post surgery. I believe this will help you.

Understand that activities like running and tennis are catabolic to the body. In other words, they "break down" your body over time. So, you definitely want to combat this breaking down by including some anabolic ("building up") activity that makes your body better able to handle the stresses of the activities you participate in and will help save your knees.

A very effective way to do this is to incorporate a resistance training routine into your current activity program. Resistance training will help build up the muscles which can offset some of the "breaking down" effects of running and playing tennis.

But, you need a specific focus for your resistance training program to help eliminate the knee pain which I will share with you in just a bit.

It also sounds like you are prone to overuse of your quadriceps (thigh muscles) during the activities you perform. Therefore, a key focus is to condition the muscles of your hips, particularly your glutes to do most of the work. Muscles such as your glutes are meant to perform most of the work especially during the stopping, starting and change of direction demands of tennis. Your glutes and hip complex were built for this type of force production/reduction but your quads weren't.

When you overuse the quad muscles you predispose yourself to painful conditions such as knee pain.

So, there's 2 things you'll need to address: 1) exercise selection to train your glutes includes squats, deadlifts, lunges however, a problem you may run into is that these very exercises may cause you knee pain. It's easy to just skip them because they may hurt but the activities you perform involve all of these movements.

If you do not learn to properly train them safely and pain-free you'll eventually have recurring knee problems that go away only with rest but return after you resume activity again. And you don't want to take meds the rest of your life as a solution.

So, the answer is 2) teach yourself how to properly activate the glutes in these movements.

I have personally trained athletes and non-athletes after ACL and PCL surgery, meniscus tears, knee replacements and patellofemoral pain such as yours. Interestingly enough, not one in almost a decade of training these individuals has been unable to squat safely as long as they understand how to activate their glutes the right way.

That is the challenge so you'll need to be patient and take time to accomplish this. But, once you get it down you will support running and tennis much better and with less pain (or none at all) than before.

Start easily with sets of 10 reps to learn the movements and to activate the proper muscles (glutes) without aggrivating knee pain. Every week or two you can progressively build volume by increasing reps per set and including upper body work between each lower body exercise.

I hope this helps get you started. I have a video posted on YouTube about how to properly perform the squat to prevent knee pain at:
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJhWK3ydMA"]YouTube - How To Squat To Prevent Knee Pain[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness