Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times

Advertisements

I am going to being training for a half marathon. I know that there are a couple of cross training days in the schedule each week. My question is...are there things I can do to cross train without going to the gym or having a pool? Does walking count? I don't really want to get a gym membership, but I will if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I am in the same situation - I run regularly and did a half-marathon last month, but I don't want to join a gym. I have a set of core strengthening exercises that I do with my exercise ball that help to build my core strength which should help avoid some injuries. I also have a rower that I try to use at least twice a week but I absolutely hate, hate, hate rowing!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
I never thought of that...just getting stuff I can use at home. Thanks for the idea about the ball!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 AM

11 posts, read 27,995 times
I asked this question at the gym once when I had a free training session with a personal instructor. The answer is definitely yes. There are lots of good exercises you can do with the ball. What he actually suggested was 5 press-ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 squats then 5 chin-ups. Do this as quickly as possible and when you have finished the chin-ups go back to the press-ups. Believe me it is very good cardio training and you are exercising lots of muscle groups at the same time.

If you can't do chin-ups at home because you have no bar then you can skip this part or if you have a bar and can't lift your whole body weight from a straight arm then start with arms a bent enough that you can do it (use a chair to help if needed).

Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 AM

11 posts, read 27,995 times
Quote:
Does walking count?
I've done a couple of half-marathons and although walking is better than nothing, running or jogging is much better. Probably obvious but building your way up to the distance is the best way to go. Do 3 miles a few times then 5 a few times then 7, then 9 and after that you should not have too many problems with the half-marathon.

Perhaps you've done it already, I see this post is a few weeks old. How did it go?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
There are a lot of things you can do to cross train without a gym.

--walking is a great exercise for cross training. When you do a long run, do a walk the next day.
--if you have a bicycle, ride a bike for a long ride
--Core exercises are extremely important, make sure you are doing tons of sit-ups/supermans etc.
--exercise your hamstrings separately as they don't get proper strengthening from just running.
--make sure you keep to a running schedule doing several short runs a week, and one long run each week.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Do you have a playground nearby? It may sound weird, but you can get a really great workout on the climbing structures. I've been working out intensely at-home for several months. Yesterday, my trainer and I spent an hour at the school playground, and I wanted to die this morning when I woke up! My shoulders, in particular, are killing me.

On another note, I also use a Swiss ball for my at-home workouts. You can use the ball like a weight bench and work out your core with every exercise.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Do you have a playground nearby? It may sound weird, but you can get a really great workout on the climbing structures. I've been working out intensely at-home for several months. Yesterday, my trainer and I spent an hour at the school playground, and I wanted to die this morning when I woke up! My shoulders, in particular, are killing me.

On another note, I also use a Swiss ball for my at-home workouts. You can use the ball like a weight bench and work out your core with every exercise.
What did your trainer have you do?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Ah, let's see...

* Standing jumps up onto a knee wall
* Step-ups onto a knee wall
* Pull-ups, several versions
* Push ups, several versions
* Upside-down crunches (hanging from the monkey bars)
* Shoulder dips
* Planks
* Climbing on the rope wall

That's what I can recall off-hand, but there was obviously more. Basically, we acted like six-year-olds for an hour or so, then I ran home. I didn't think it was all that hard of a workout...until this morning!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:11 PM

OMG I cannot imagine upside down crunches!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness